Activated Node

screen brightness 1920x1080

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with a brightness/contrast issue. In games like XCOM/Metro 2033/Bioshock Infinite, as soon as I change the resolution to 1920x1080 the games become unbearably bright and washed out - XCOM and Metro were particularly bad because they are "dark" games. On lower resolutions its not a problem - only when I go to 1920. Any ideas?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    the buttons on your monitor often save "per resolution" brightnesses, play a dark game and bump it up recently? Maybe play it at 1920*1080?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Odds are it's not brightness/contrast but 'gamma' you're struggling with?

I've had a miserable time trying to get my PC to maintain acceptable gamma since I got my new LG monitor - in the end I killed all the Windows Colour Profiles and used the AMD Catalyst Control Centre to control the gamma and it's been "better", if not brilliant.

If you're playing 'fullscreen' than the game can take-over the gamma setting - but if you play in what's known as "Windowed fullscreen" or "borderless fullscreen window" then the game cannot control gamma and is forced to use the desktop setting (hence why I killed all the desktop color profiles).

Also - and this is a really odd one - with a desktop color profile active, using the Windows Photo Viewer it takes EONS to move between pictures!?!?

I'd recommend resetting your Windows Desktop Color Config to the default and setting-up gamma in your GPU's driver software for starters - and if you run "fullscreen windowed" or "borderless windowed" remember to change the setting in the driver/desktop and NOT in the game.

Activated Node
    Thanks for your suggestions but none of that seems to work. I did checked a few more games and its actually the same for all of them. As soon as I set the resolution to 1920x1080 the screen goes really bright.

I'm not super tech savvy - could it be to do with not using an HDMI cable to connect my monitor to my PC?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That seems a little odd BUT I did run into one game (PoP:TFS) which would NOT run at fullscreen when I was connected via HDMI, only when I switched to DVI so it's not impossible that could be a source of the issue.

As I understand it, monitors send back information about themselves to your PC - the cable (specific type and general connector) can influence how much of that information gets back.

The brightness thing seems rather odd tho

when in game try to see what it does in windowed mode( shortcut is alt +F) and see if the brightness issue goes. Though personally if I'm honest running games in borderless window tends to be better over full screen because you can swap to guides and what not.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I suggest posting your OS, video card and monitor information. Plus cable setup. Might help. :)