Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Frozen Synapse League - Fun Season 1

This IS your first fun season, so please take your time and read this post thoroughly. Thanks!
    Without further ado, let us kick off the first fun season of the RPS League!

Here are the tables for Fun Season 1. It's your responsibility to issue a challenge for each time you're listed as Player 1 in this list. You play each opponent in your division once. The maps, teams, and/or rules of the current season will most likely be heavily unbalanced (remember: fun season), so we go without reversing challenges. Bear it like a vatform.

The rules/organization are (not yet) vastly different from Col's; I'll do my best to change this in a potential second season, but for now we'll keep it simple. Anyways, please read carefully:

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:
    Mode: Dark Extermination
    Turn limit: 16 turns
    Turn duration: five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
    Visibility: vis at time zero
    Mutators: challenger's choice --> feel encouraged to activate all; for fun
    Map: challenger's choice

Games are played on one of three provided custom maps. The challenger is free to choose the map. Below is an overview over the custom maps for this season. You have to use one of those for your games! The maps are played as provided in the attached zip-file (RPS Fun League Season 1 Maps.zip). Read the next post for instructions of how to load them. The players start with identical teams (see below). The teams should be correctly setup when you load the maps, so you don't need to add/remove any units.
    The Dacha The Drug Baron's Mansion Tournament Map
    The Dacha.jpg Drug Baron.jpg Tournament.jpg
    • 2 MG
    • 2 Shotgun
    • 1 Grenade
    • 3 Rocket
    • 2 MG
    • 2 Shotgun
    • 2 Grenade
    • 2 Rocket
    • 1 MG
    • 1 Shotgun
    • 1 Sniper
    • 1 Rocket
    • 2 Grenade
    • 2 Riot Shield

Note: You can create a challenge and play the last map (which contains Riot Shield units) even when you do not own the Red DLC!

2) After creating each game the challenger must announce the challenge in this thread.
    Format: "Player1 has challenged Player2 in game X on map Y".

Example: "SOnorK has challenged Fleuri in game 123456 on map The Dacha"

3) After each game has been completed, Player 1 must report the result in this thread.
    Standard format: "Winner has defeated Opponent in game game X with a score of Y".

Example: "Fleuri has defeated SOnorK in game 123456 with a score of 90".

In the event of a draw, the format is "Player1 and Player2 have drawn in game X"

Example: "SOnorK and Fleuri have drawn in game 123456"

I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game. Scores will be as normal: 3 pts for a win, 1 for a draw.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Saturday 08 June).
    All games should be completed by the end of Saturday 22 June.

5) We're all reasonable people, when pressed, so some flexibility will be in evidence.
    If you're going to be on holiday, or exploring the lost plateau of Leng, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early.
    The maps are big. Really big. Also, teams are larger than normal. Take this into account and try to start your matches early. Leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will declare both parties personae-non-grata and award your points to whoever strikes me as most deserving, by whatever criteria I consider appropriate at the time.

7) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, iron-fisted authoritarianism and whim.
    Mostly the latter.

Finally, a polite reminder to check this thread regularly (you can subscribe to it using the "Thread Tools" button above the thread). Also, if I've missed anything important or anything isn't clear then post below or PM me to let me know.

You can also find me (or others from the league) on IRC in #RPSLeague (server irc.maxgaming.net).

Good Luck & Have Fun!

P.S.: This fun season thread is largely based on Col's wisdom by borrowing heavily and shamelessly from his posts and spreadsheets.
    Last edited by Kron-OS; 08-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Activated Node
    How to issue a challenge with custom fun season maps

1. Download the following zip file containing the maps: RPS Fun League Season 1 Maps.zip
    2. Unpack and copy the three files contained into the following directory (depending on which operating system you're using):
      • Windows (Steam): %SteamPath%\steamapps\common\frozen synapse\psychoff/data/userLevels
      • Linux: ~/.local/share/FrozenSynapse/psychoff/data/userLevels
      • OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/FrozenSynapse/Psychoff/data/userLevels
      • (you probably need to create the "userLevels" directory)

3. Log in to the server.
    4. Click the 'Online' button at the top of the screen.
    5. Click 'Create a game'.
    6. Click the 'Advanced setup' button.
    7. Click the 'Load Level' button.
    8. Enter the filename of the map you want to load. E.g.: 'RPS_FL_S1_TheDacha.enc'.
    9. Click the 'Ok' button.
    10. Click the 'Continue' button.
    11. Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'.
    12. Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'.
    13. Ensure that the 'Turn length' is set to 5000.
    14. Set the 'Turn limit' to 16.
    15. Enable any mutators you want (more mutators --> more fun ;-)).
    16. Enter your opponent's username
    17. Choose the side you want to play on (challenger's choice) by selecting or deselecting "I play side 1"
    18. Enter "RPS Fun League" or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league.
    19. Click the 'Submit' button.
    20. Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in the post directly above this one.

If anything goes wrong, don't worry! Just issue the correct challenges and let your opponent know which is the correct game so they can ignore the faulty one(s!) (which will eventually be deleted from your list if no-one takes a turn, and can be hidden until this happens).

If you have problems locating the correct directory for the maps, post in this thread or PM me.
    Last edited by Kron-OS; 08-06-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Obscure Node
    To clarify, we'll have all the games from our division running concurrently?

Activated Node
    Yes, in this first season all the games run concurrently (same as in the RPS League).

Activated Node
    Coxy has challenged SOnorK in game 738904 on the ​tournament map.

Double kill is enabled.

Good luck and have fun! (I haven't placed my first turn yet as I am busy but it is there for you to start planning)!

Coxy

Activated Node
    Here are my games:

SOnorK has challenged Fleuri in game 739297 on The Dacha.
    SOnorK has challenged chouzar in game 739299 on The Drug Baron's Mansion.

All games are with double kill, focus aim, and move-and-shoot .

Gl hf! (I'll do my turns later today; you can expect me to check for turns and play them at least once per day.)

Letīs go Mr. driver!

Ankon has challenged bonuswavepilot in game 739338 on The Dacha. All mutators enabled .

Cheers!

chouzar has challenged coxy5 in game 739862 on map Tournament Map.

Activated Node
    Fleuri has challenged coxy5 in game 741302 in Drug Baron's mansion... on map Drug Baron's mansion.

That handsome devil also issued a notable challenge right in the face of chouzar. This mightly duel shall take place on Dacha and shall forever be known as The Game 741030.

​Both games are served with all mutators just for the heck of it. Bon Appetit!

Activated Node
    SOnorK beat Coxy5 ​with a score of 90.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Coxy5 View Post
    SOnorK beat Coxy5 ​with a score of 90.
    GG Coxy5 . I must say so far I like the Tournament map the most; The Dacha is also nice, but on the Tournament map I really had the feeling that the game is quite tactical and much more about how you position your guys, flank your enemy, and so on.

Concerning the tournament: is there anything happening in division 1? Only saw the challenge by Ankon so far. Any sign of life from the others?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kron-OS View Post
    GG Coxy5 . I must say so far I like the Tournament map the most; The Dacha is also nice, but on the Tournament map I really had the feeling that the game is quite tactical and much more about how you position your guys, flank your enemy, and so on.

Concerning the tournament: is there anything happening in division 1? Only saw the challenge by Ankon so far. Any sign of life from the others?
    gg

Yeah I agree it feels the most like a normal match. Then again though is that what the fun league is for? However great game I have still got a lot to learn as right now I think the riot shields are pretty pointless!

Coxy

Activated Node
    I have problems focusing on these games. I don't know why, but this many units and big maps really throw me off.

Activated Node
    SOnork defeated chouzar in game 739299 with a score of 60.

GG mate! In hindsight I'd say my starting position made this match much easier for me, as I had more room to position my units without fear of your rockets.

I like the big maps so far. But I play them quite different from my normal games, as I focus much more on the rough positioning and much less on fine tuning my plans. In fact, I think I need even less time for my planning.

Concerning the riot shields: wouldn't have want to switch them for other units in my games. They're perfect scouts: can look sideways while moving really fast and are essentially invincible vs. MGs (and partially vs. snipers).

Activated Node
    Coxy5 has defeated Fleuri in game 741302 with a score of 70.

Good game though I've never felt as clueless as in that match. =D

Activated Node
    SOnorK and Fleuri have drawn in game 739297 on The Dacha

GG and well played! My favorite of the games I played in the fun season. Some critical mistakes on both sides. Your rocket in turn 3 gave me an early edge, and my blind MG and rocket in turn 11 made me more than doubt that I'd still stand a chance in that game (I let my rocket wait in turn 10 for the MG to close up and provide cover just to forget this in turn 11 and blindly run into your bullets -_-). The last few turns and the involved decisions made me sweat (must have been by a few pixels that my rocket in turn 13 stayed alive...).

BTW: I'll setup a youtube account for the fun league where I'll upload the videos of the games. Will do this probably sometime in the next few days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I'm back home now so if you like I can upload the videos to the usual place - or I could give you the password and you can do it yourself.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    I'm back home now so if you like I can upload the videos to the usual place - or I could give you the password and you can do it yourself.
    Great, looking forward to season 21!

If you PM or mail me the password I'll do it. But I can also understand if you're not too eager to share the account/password, so do as you prefer .

Activated Node
    It's not my job to do it but it has been finished a while and with the deadline looming:

Coxy5 has defeated chouzar in game 739862 with a score of 60.

Coxy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kron-OS View Post
    If you PM or mail me the password I'll do it. But I can also understand if you're not too eager to share the account/password, so do as you prefer .
    I'm a pitiful control freak, I'd need to psych myself up for days to give someone my password! I just did it myself. Videos as follows:

739297 SOnorK vs Fleuri http://youtu.be/bS-Ro08nE54
    739299 SOnorK vs chouzar http://youtu.be/IV7Nlsgc9GE
    741032 Fleuri vs Coxy5 http://youtu.be/VK1ilvfA2w8
    739862 chouzar vs Coxy5 http://youtu.be/ZKbjY9JVVCY
    738904 Coxy5 vs SOnorK http://youtu.be/NXK5qhUH3Jo
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 20-06-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |