Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HoN is already a straight port pretty much, they better have something more to offer than that.
    http://xovsps4.com/playstation-4-vs-xbox-one/ - The ultimate buyers guide for choosing the best console.

Network Hub
    The thing with HoN is that lately S2 have made decisions that have made them extremely unpopular with their playerbase, such as going f2p and introducing the early-access hero thing. If you looked at the boards around the f2p announcement it was full of "fuck this, waiting for Dota 2" and so on and so forth. If Valve can pull this off they will certainly make a massive impact on HoN if not crush it completely, especially if they don't use the rotating-heroes model of HoN and LoL.

Activated Node
    Most of the screenshots are reputed to be four months old, and shouldn't be taken as any indicator of what the final game will look like. Maybe it will, maybe it won't...

But Dota 2 is for the faithful. For those looking in from the outside, it might not make sense as to why people are incredibly hyped up for the game. There is LoL and HoN, both with their own takes on the genre. For those that follow "In Icefrog we trust," it's delivery after wandering through the desert. No need for hopping between a half dozen clients to play a game, no horrible lag, no bothering to get setup - just something that works with the gameplay we've enjoyed for years.

Network Hub
    I admit I have no experience in Dota itself (not owning Frozen Throne yet), my experience with the genre has been LoL, HoN and Bloodline Champions, but I'm still excited for this, partly because it'll be a chance to get into the original, so to speak, and since it'll be hugely popular I'll be able to get into it with other people as terrible as I am. Also I've had so much fun with TF2 that I might have as much fun with Valve Dota too.

Plus I have personal problems with LoL itself that I'm hoping Dota 2 will solve, such as the rotating-heroes crap.

Is it still worth buying Frozen Throne for Dota at this point in the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    Is it still worth buying Frozen Throne for Dota at this point in the game?
    No, the original is archaeic. The item shop alone is reason enough not to bother, but the balance issues are everpresent and awful.

When did you start playing LoL? I've been playing long enough that I have plenty of runes and champs, but I can imagine that starting league now would be overwhelming in terms of what others have that you don't.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    No, the original is archaeic. The item shop alone is reason enough not to bother, but the balance issues are everpresent and awful.

When did you start playing LoL? I've been playing long enough that I have plenty of runes and champs, but I can imagine that starting league now would be overwhelming in terms of what others have that you don't.
    :( Sadness that you don't agree with how the game is balanced.

I would think it's probably better to not bother with getting TFT at this point, since Dota 2 should be out soon at this point. The biggest points against Dota on TFT are the interface and lag issues mechanically speaking, finding people that won't flame you is another matter. HoN is more like Dota than LoL, if you enjoy HoN and how it plays out then you are more likely to enjoy Dota 2.

Of course, if you enjoy Bloodline Champions, it might be worth getting TFT to play Warlocks as well, a "precursor" to BC. In fact, there are lots of great custom maps on WC3 in general that might lead to a new birth of genres/sub-genres, but that's my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    You have to explain that? Archaic? Do you mean the graphics?
    What's so incredibly bad about the item shop that it alone disqualifies the game? And which balance issues are you referring to?

@cosmicoolor
    The only possible reason not to get TFT for DotA would be that DOTA2 is soon to be released.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can sense that HoN players are nervous (maybe not in this forum, in others), but the cards are hardly hidden. Dota2 is Dota1:Source, is going to compete directly with HoN. S2 may make some wrong movements, but has "since forever" tryiing to create RTS/action mix. This has to account for something.

image is somewhat related
    Last edited by Tei; 15-08-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Network Hub
    http://www.dota2.com/trailer

Gamescom trailer. This makes me hope for TF2-style Meet The Heroes movies, but that would be way too much work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASX View Post
    Of course, if you enjoy Bloodline Champions, it might be worth getting TFT to play Warlocks as well, a "precursor" to BC. In fact, there are lots of great custom maps on WC3 in general that might lead to a new birth of genres/sub-genres, but that's my humble opinion.
    Warlocks is, of course, the greatest drunken lan party game ever.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    http://www.dota2.com/trailer

Gamescom trailer. This makes me hope for TF2-style Meet The Heroes movies, but that would be way too much work.

I don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but I found that trailer very.... technically unimpressive after the fantastic things they've put together for tf2 and portal 2

Network Hub
    I liked it a lot, myself. Perhaps it's because it lacks the Pixar-esque polish of the TF2 and Portal 2 stuff, maybe?

Obscure Node
    http://dota2.com/tournaments/international/

Beta signups went up less than an hour ago.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutter View Post
    http://dota2.com/tournaments/international/

Beta signups went up less than an hour ago.
    I love you, mystery man.

Network Hub
    Signed up as soon as I saw that link.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Thanks for the link!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    It reminded me strongly of the LoL Season One Trailer, but I suppose it's quite hard to portray essentially the same kind of game in a vastly different manner.

It's Valve though, I imagine it will be polished to hell and back and I stand a better chance of getting all my friends to play it.

Also thanks for the link
    Last edited by Jockie; 16-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    http://i.imgur.com/Y9Om5.jpg

Image of the hero selection screen, looks unrefined but much like the one floating around the net right now.

Activated Node
    Has this become the official Dota 2 thread?

Banned
    That's a fucking ugly UI. I hope they change that. :| Screw how close it is to the original DotA UI, it's way too clunky to be used in a modern game.