Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    ugly UI
    I know everyone's used to that UI by now, but it only ever looked that way because thats WC3's layout. I have to think there must be a better solution for a ... Moba ... out there.

Network Hub
    Since it's Valve they will probably let people mod the UI. Heroes of Newerth let players do this as well, if you want precedent. I'm watching the stream right now and it's a bit screwy, no commentators, game lags out occasionally, stream just freezes sometimes... not terribly well handled it seems. And now I have no sound.

http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/int...q=hd&c=English

Edit: First match I saw just ended, iG v Ehome. Now it's Minesky v iG. Right now the game looks identical to the screens I posted, so graphically the game hasn't progressed much since the supposed 4 months or so that those screens were from.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 17-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Just watched the first game. That was horribly done! Extreme amounts of lag (to the point where the players are typing "lag" "LAG" "lag" "gal"). About 3 disconnects. Commentary sound quality to rival obscure YouTube commentaries on $10 microphones. Commentary just stopping 20 minutes into the game and the rest of the 93min game in silence. The spectator just idling for minutes at a time on an empty spot while there is a war raging.

Wtf was that...?! Shame on you Valve. For shame! I hope Gabe Newell sits on whoever was involved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbane View Post
    Wtf was that...?! Shame on you Valve. For shame! I hope Gabe Newell sits on whoever was involved.
    That's cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    These look fake. This really looks like someone simply 'shopped a Warcraft 3 screenshot.
    Oh wow. I still can't believe that this is what it's going to look like. I expected a lot more from Valve. Awful, just awful all around.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    What don't you like about it, exactly?

And yeah this event hasn't been too well handled so far. Hopefully Minesky v iG goes better, technology-wise.

edit: And it is, there's been a little less lag so far. A more exciting game so far too.

editedit: Or maybe not, game just crapped itself again. This is down to the ingame streaming thing bugging out, being unable to handle so many viewers.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 17-08-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All these people that say that this design is unexpected.

Do you guys know how is a hardcore community? hardcore games are totally against change, can get very angry for changes that are very hard for a human to detect.

The plan of Valve for Dota 2, is to make "Dota 1: Source". The more exact is the clone from the original dota, the more happy the DoTA community. Maybe is not a very ambitious target, but is a decent one.

There is LoL for these that still want to play a MOBA, but accept some minimal changes to the original formula.

I think it looks good. The graphical design makes it really clear which units are which, while still having plenty of variety, and the spell effects are likewise quite clear & distinctive. I like the music, too. :-) Looking forward to trying it out.

Network Hub
    If this is to be the effective official thread I should really get to work on a proper OP. What should be in it aside from the obvious stuff? Anyone who knows more than me about these games want to contribute to it?

Banned
    The only thing wrong with the interface is the "Space for rent" between the map and the middle window and the middle window and the inventory.

But I am assuming that's because of the 16:9 screen ratio. If the game will support 4:3, UI on 16:9 must be free estate.

I guess a more elegant way would be to just make the space transparent.

@cosmicolor

I'm not sure what should be in it. A short synopsis of the game, I'd say.
    Based on the WarCraft 3 + TFT mod Defense of the Ancients, remake in the Source engine by Valve, IceFrog on board, combination of RTS and RPG elements, every player controls one hero, teamplay important, 5vs5, the objective is to destroy the enemy base -> achieved through: leveling up your hero, killing other heroes and neutral units (buildings) to get gold to buy and upgrade your heroes equipment.
    I guess that is too much detail.

Activated Node
    Copy paste from copy paste:

For people who don't know why there was lag.
    The stream started with using the DotATV in game streaming set up.
    Once the stream broke 1 million viewers the game started to bug out so they had to split it off over to ownedtv set up on another side computer (why we lost the shoutcasters).

They forgot to split the China stream and that broke 1 mill on it's own so it made another huge lag spike.

By the end of the game there was over 2.8 million viewers of the main stream and it was making issues for the person spectating.
    @cosmiccolor: I can make a detailed thread about Dota 2 later, if you don't make it first - but if you want to do more copy paste I suggest looking at the tl.net intro thread, one of the best I've seen recently as an introduction to Dota. Just need to power through work to get home...

MYM FIGHTING

I've signed up for the beta, but I'm a total noob to MOBA games and I was wondering whether there are any other RPSers who are likewise noobs who want to team up. I ask because I've heard lots of bad things about the MOBA community's attitude towards new and less skillful players, and I'd quite like to be able to learn in the sort of civilised gaming atmosphere that RPS readers tend to gravitate towards. ;-)

Network Hub
    ^^Since you undoubtedly have way more knowledge than me on this game you might be better suited for a big, detailed OP on the genre, especially if discussion moves over to other MOBA games. I'll write up a few things in the OP for now, though, until you make the thread.

@ Kranz: If you're looking to prepare for Dota 2, Heroes of Newerth is closer to it than League of Legends (the other big MOBA game) but has a horrible community and is pretty brutal towards new players, but still a good game. League of Legends is more newbie-friendly but isn't as close to Dota so if/when you start playing it you'll have to get to know Dota-specific stuff. However if you want I will join in with you.

Activated Node
    First stop should probably be PlayDota, to get a quick read of heroes, items and guides - not to really memorize anything, but to start getting familiar. I aim to be more active in this than I was in Solium Infernum, and maybe lead a couple of teaching groups, but my timezones are very badly out of shape with a good portion of the more active members here, so we'll see what happens.

Activated Node
    @cosmicolor: I'll try to get the post up in the next 24 hours between work and shoutcasts and sleep. Feel free to make it if you want to, I'll just post an expanded version in the next couple of posts.

Network Hub
    Ok, sure, I'll go ahead and make it, and will link to it in here when it's done. I intend to include a basic synopsis of the genre, a little about the big players of the genre and links to various resources. Of course feel free to post any indepth info you may have in it.

Activated Node
    @cosmicolor: Repackaging this should be more than enough to start, I'll try to give other strats/metagame/whatever, a short synopsis of current matches and which ones to watch once I get through the vods.

Network Hub
    Ok I made the thread, that one should be used from now on. I don't have any problem with this one being locked or just left to die, whichever.

Activated Node
    You used the term MOBA...

I-I don't think we can be friends anymore. ;_;