Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Thoughts on an idea - Empire Specifc Vehicle Weapons for NS Vehicles

Also posted over at /r/Planetside

So, yeah, seeing Lightnings and Libs and Galaxies everywhere is kinda boring. Seeing some more empire specific vehicles would be great.

However, for some more flavour, but a lot less work, we could get some empire specific options for our all-factions vehicles. Would be great to be able to just know that that galaxy over there is definitley VS, because of the purple orbs it is flinging, or that Sunderer must me TR because it is filling the air with tracers.
    Ideas I've got so far (and I'm sure the rest of you can add plenty more, and critique these):

Liberator Belly Gun:

• (VS) Photon Slinger - Launches a large orb, good vs Infantry, OK vs armour. Charges up. Charge does not effect damage (that is fixed) but increases blast radius.
    • (TR) Barrage Battery - Rotary rocket launcher. Fires a succession of rockets that accelerate under their own power.
    • (NC) Cluster Shells - On impact, does small damage and produces several smaller, grenade like projectiles, which then detonate.

Infantry Suppression (a set of weapons that can probably be mounted wherever a Basilisk can (perhaps not flash?) , plus galaxy sides. Big magazine, low accuracy, designed to keep infantry unwilling to come through a doorway/gap, rather than outright kill):

• (VS) Dual Lasher - effectively a pair of Lashers mounted on a turret. Worse CoF than the hand held version however (maybe improve this again for the Galaxy variant)
    • (TR) Dual Rotary - Two chain guns mounted to the turret (or three to outdo the VS double?). Big COF. Again, easily fills a doorway and surrounds with a lot of bullets, meaning any infantry that try to come through are wounded and easy pickings.
    • (NC) Mounted Scattercannon - Lower fire rate than the other two, fires buckshot every second or two (should have approx same magaine depletion time as the other two). Spread tuned to fill a standard doorway at similar distances to the others.

So yeah, thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It's an interesting idea and I like it. I'm not sure it would really make it all look that much different though in terms of making it look "less boring". You'll still have all the same looking vehicles rolling/flying around. Only the weapon part would change. Most of the time when you see a lib it's either so far away you can't tell what weapon it has until it start's firing or it kills you.

The libby belly guns sound super though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It's an interesting idea and I like it. I'm not sure it would really make it all look that much different though in terms of making it look "less boring". You'll still have all the same looking vehicles rolling/flying around. Only the weapon part would change.
    You have a point. I guess the hope is to encourage slightly different play with regards to the weapons as well. So the behavior you might expect for a TR Harrasser might be different to that of a VS one.

Also, I agree with the general sense of feeling out there that charge-up shouldn't become the VS "thing". However I do think it could be a lot of fun to have some more charge wepaons, but where it isn't the damage, but some other feature (accuracy, blast radius, burst length, projectile speed, etc) that charges.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm not so sure a charged AI weapon on a lib is a good idea. It's not like they can fight back whilst you charge, any decent lib pilot is out of range of lockons. Unless the charge could be like a beam of light that narrows, so infantry know that a lib is charging up on/around them so they can react.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I like the idea.

But SOE seriously need to come up with something other than "charge" for VS weapon mechanics.

There's an odd lack of creativity in certain areas of the game. Particularly VS weapon design. Things could have been so much more 'out there' than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I like the idea.

But SOE seriously need to come up with something other than "charge" for VS weapon mechanics.

There's an odd lack of creativity in certain areas of the game. Particularly VS weapon design. Things could have been so much more 'out there' than they are.
    Very much this. At least, if they should have stuck with a gimmick, that should have been the Lasher. It's more distinctive.

As for charge mechanics and pin-point accuracy: the first makes little sense outside of long range engagements in a game with such low TTKs, and the second is useless in weapons without scope: if you cannot aim accurately, you cannot hit accurately. And since mobility is the theme of VS, they are both actually in contradiction with the theme: you have to stand still for such a weapon to charge and hit accurately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    However I do think it could be a lot of fun to have some more charge wepaons, but where it isn't the damage, but some other feature (accuracy, blast radius, burst length, projectile speed, etc) that charges.
    Charging the RoF or projectile speed would actually be better. Nice suggestions!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No charge for us please and no shotguns for NC. Especially not as a vehicle mount weapon. They have one and everyone hates it. Give them something like a UT flak cannon instead. Shotgun and frag-grenade launcher in one.

For vanu something like a constant beam weapon could be freaking sweet but i guess that will have some problems visually and with latency/fps. Flying plasma balls always work for me though.

Edit: Oh yeah you could do weapons that ramp up in power the longer you fire basically. The plasma coilsthingmajingers rev up so the shots starts to fly faster, hit harder the longer you fire. Bankrotas idea wasn't it?

Network Hub
    I suggested faction-specific bullets a while back. Vanu plasma causes a DoT, NC magnetic acceleration acts like a rail gun and punches through, TR explosive bullets do a small area of damage. All the numbers would be small, obviously, but it would give you a tiny edge if you played your faction to its strengths. Hit and run for Vanu, etc. You have to engage each faction differently and defend against them differently. It creates some need for formations. It didn't catch on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Darkweeble, I like that.

Network Hub
    I know, right? It even lets SoE tweak another knob for balancing and guns. I'd take a slow-firing rifle with crazy bullet spread if it dealt like, 10 area effect damage on a hit as TR. Or a sniper rifle that does less damage bit hits with a nice DoT so if you miss the headshot you still might get the kill after a few seconds. Bullet sizzle that fuses enemy vehicle circuits and causes them to have a lower RoF or something. It all adds to that delicious faction flavor.