Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Need a new mouse

My 7 year old Microsof 5 button intellimouse is finally giving up :-( So I need a new one, but I want something more sensitive. I'm willing to spend around the 60 mark. It needs side buttons and be good for gaming.

Any ideas? I aint got much of a clue about mice, as this one has lasted so long lol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    This has served me for about five years now and it's cheaper than anything you'l get from Razer and does everything you'll probably want. It just isn't a well known name brand.

As you can see it's pretty highly rated, has 7 buttons, you can adjust the weight and the dpi. You can change dpi on the fly. You get a software package that allows you to rebind the buttons and assign macros to buttons as well and it has built in memory so you can store your settings on the mouse. You get a bag to carry it around in too.

I use a G9x and I love it. It's not the cheapest, but I've had it since 2007 and it's still going strong.

That said, the features Jesus_Phish mentions for the Sharkoon mouse are similar to what the G9x has, and it's about half the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-910...733445&sr=1-30

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    How about a Logitech G500. It's the successor to the good old G5.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I used a G500 for a while and liked it. I just recently moved my PC to the living room though and went completely wireless and got a G7. They are both great mice, although the thumb buttons on the G7 are pretty poorly placed and take some getting used to. A friend of mine who has been playing shooters much longer than me swears by his RAT mouse. It's one of those ones where the entire mouse is customizable, so you can make it fit your hand perfectly.

If I were you though, the first thing I would do would be to go somewhere like a Best Buy or even a Staples where they have rows of mice out for you to test. Put your hand on one and see what you like, then check for better prices online.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The only mouse you need is the Logitech G400 (the upgraded version of the all-time-classic MX 518)

Smidge over 20 - mine is in it's 4th year and still clicks perfectly (tho the feet are showing a bit of wear - they're replaceable if I really wanted to tho)

Wireless? SHIT I tell you - SHIT - don't even go there.

and Razer? RAZER? The company who puts DRM in it's HARDWARE - they're for mugs...

p.s. put the 40 you'll save towards a really expensive and VERY worthwhile mech. sw. keyboard :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    The only mouse you need is the Logitech G400 (the upgraded version of the all-time-classic MX 518)
    Psh, the G500 is the upgraded version of the even bigger classic, the G5!

Pretty scary to look around and find reviews of the second version of the G5 dated 2007. No wonder the paint has peeled a bit on my original version G5 (recently replaced, but I keep it around as, hmm, a family heirloom?).

Edit: As for mechanical keyboards, CM Storm Quickfire TK. You won't regret it (unless you pick the wrong color of Cherry MX switch - there are versions with Red, Blue and Brown).
    Last edited by Sakkura; 01-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yea the CM Storm is a good buy IF you can get one with the right switches (what's available varies by country and some suppliers have differing stock so check CAREFULLY)

Alternatively just go nuts and buy a Ducky or a Filco - it's 100-120 really, really, really well spent IMO because it's not on stupid LED displays you don't need and macro keys you daren't use but on QUALITY

and lighting and cool keycaps :)

I have the Logitech G9. While the cover is showing quite some wear it's still a good mouse. For my laptop I use Logitech's cheapest laser mouse and it's also great.

I really want a good mechanical keyboard, but they're so expensive. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ifit makes you ffeel any better a good mechanical keyboard will last 10 years - my record for non mechs is 5 and most are dead in 3 or less

They're the price of a decent house, cheaper than a cpu and so on....

I'm using a 20 year old rubber dome one right now. It's a hand-me-down, only supports PS/2. I've had it for around 14 years now, and I've typed a lot on it. So I feel I can spring for a nice daskeyboard or something, but I also really want an SSD, and I really want to upgrade my machine as well. And I only have a finite amount of money :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    After advice on here before, I bought the Roccat Kova+. Comes in under 40, feels really comfortable, 2 side buttons on each side, variable DPI settings (400, 800, 1600 - one I use and 3200), can re-map button usage and comes with some software to allow you to make different button profiles for something like 10 different set-ups, if you should so desire (I haven't, but I suppose it's nice to know it's there). Importantly for me, but I'm guessing 90% here this won't be a concern, but it's slightly V-shaped so it's not set-up for any hand in particular. I haven't had it long enough to say "I've had it for years", but it's been well over 6 months now and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Also, it lights up!