Network Hub

[VS] Sunday, May 12 1900BST: EsotericReverie Teaches Facilities!

On May 12th EsotericReverie will be leading a training session consisting of:

• Tour of one safe major facility (Tech, Amp, Bio) - est 20 minutes
    • Tour of one safe support structure (Tower, Outpost) - est 10 minutes
    • Goal-oriented Attack/Defense of these specific structures in a contested situation - est 30 minutes to 1 hour

The goal of the first part of this event is to familiarize new players with the layout of a specialized facility, explain common attack and defense setups, and determine goals for the following live-fire situation. Goals will be specific, achievable objectives determined by Eso. Examples include:

• Take the horizontal generator and hold it for two minutes
    • Jump the wall as a squad of Light Assault and disable a generator
    • Defend point A in a Biolab
    • Capture an outpost
    • Infiltrate and hack a Tower. Spawn a Sunderer.

As outlined above, this session will require about 30 minutes of your attention while someone else talks before you will have any real fun. If this doesn't sound like something that's for you, that's fine and there's nothing wrong with you. We'll continue to refine this process until we come up with a lesson plan that works.

Eso will probably have to work with whatever Mumble channel is open that night, so when you join please go directly to him for instructions on where to meet up. A Galaxy will likely leave from the Warpgate at his chosen continent.

This thread will be for feedback and discussion AFTER the event. I'm hoping to get it stickied to the front page until the 12th. Please do not post here with suggestions or RSVPs. I will edit here if anything needs to be changed before then.

Obscure Node
    Great work eso, quite enjoyed it!

Even after around 18 hours into the game I still learned some very useful (and partially basic) things tonight. Thank you very much!
    I will definitly join another training session if there is one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Hey there, happy to hear you guys enjoyed it. Thanks to my handy helpers, Bazzabat, Coffeetable, even AnthresMemoriam who joined the outfit during the training session and brought a few good tips with him! I'll be seeing you around Auraxis!

A quick rundown of what we went through during this 90 minute session:

Allatum Bio Lab: general walkthrough of the layout of the base, cap points, teleporters, satellites, SCU shields and gens, how to assault, what to defend, the importance of satellites.

Indar Bay Point: a large outpost, tank/air spawns, layout of the tower, how to get out of the spawn room, hacking turrets, good camping locations on the tower.

Ayani Labs: a small outpost, transport only spawns, the layout of the spawn room, AMS Sunderers and the importance of having multiple such when assaulting, the importance of teamwork and sticking together.

Flash race to Peris; follow the smoke! Good fun, but very confusing. For the record, MrAnderson was first through the gates, and won the race. Congratulations!

Peris Amp Station: the layout of an amp station, facility shields and horizontal and vertical gens, tank shields and gens, SCU location, back entrance through SCU room, the battlements, defenders-only jump pads, lifts to the roof, using the tunnel system to get to SCU and walls above gennies, climbing towers from the outside.

The planned play session using the newly gained knowledge didn't happen.

Overall a very pleasant and enjoyable experience, I think! Got many good questions and straightened out quite a few question marks about a things unrelated to facilities as well.

Thanks for everyone who joined in!

Please post any feedback you might have. Personally, I got dreadfully tired of hearing my own voice towards the end there, so I'm happy a couple of others pitched in...

I learned a lot and it was very well presented. Remembering all that in a fight however is another problem.

I'm a bit suspicious about the attack at the end of the bio lab training, though... The timing was too perfect

Even with almost 200 hours in game, I found the training handy. I came along to try and help as well as brush up my skills and it was well worth it. I learned a few facts I had no idea about (such as climbing the base walls).

Thank you, Eso for donating your time; it was fun AND educational!

PS: Your voice has a soothing quality to it.

Hehe yeah, There was an ongoing TR assault of Hvar, NS Secure Data Lab and TI Alloys, so Allatum was sandwiched between TR forces. Just blind random luck that there was noone there already when we first got there.

There was a lot of information, and all of it won't stick for sure. Hopefully, some of it will pop up when you're out there fighting, and you see features of the base layout that remind you of what was said during the training session.

And, thanks Rei! Happy to have you along.

Just to add my gratitude for the training session. I've only literally picked up PS2 on Saturday after all the glorious reports on the 'Call to Arms' events. Reminded me so much of the days back in PS1 that I just couldn't resist anymore. Looking forward to some action with you RPS folks.

Hey there! Glad to hear you're happy with last night. These Call to Arms events have proven to be amazing publicity, both for the outfit, for the Miller server, and for Planetside 2 in general. So many new names in Mumble since Thursday!

What's your game tag, by the way? Don't remember any Dudeness from last night. We very much appreciate if everyone matches forum names with game names, or at least include game names in a signature or similar, so we know who's who. Might just be me who can't recall seeing you though...

Network Hub
    So does this format work ok? Would you go again? Is there anything you think should be done differently?