Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I'm in. I'm a huge Battlefield 3 nut, but have migrated to Planetside 2 for a change of pace. I've only played an hour or two but I understand the basic principles. Not got mumble working too well, at least I don't think I have, so may require a test run with someone at some point this week - ten minute job at most -.

Aside from that I'll just do as I'm told and shoot stuff that moves

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I actually added the "Welcome platoon" role, earlier today, and put myself up for that too, meaning I could fill whatever role needs people, though I would prefer to lead a squad or platoon.

As for number of squads and number of players per squad, I suggest we try for a single-squad setup, but that we keep the option to expand to a 2-squad if we get lots of people, and have a shortage of leaders.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    If the numbers get overwhelming, you could always liberate a few of them over to RTRS
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    If the numbers get overwhelming, you could always liberate a few of them over to RTRS
    Freedom welcomes all, even giraffes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayam
    Everything is a thing.

mandrillthepurple has a squad beacon and is willing to SL/RO on the night.

Edit: having just read some of the above discussion, would it be feasible to run joint ops between RTRS and The Giraffes if the numbers allow for it?
    Last edited by mandrill; 06-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Am I right in thinking we play as Vanu? Be a stroke of luck if we did, seeing as that's who I play as usually anyway

Not sure if this has been stated somewhere and I missed, but what time do folks generally start showing up for this?

This is me for this.

Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Am I right in thinking we play as Vanu? Be a stroke of luck if we did, seeing as that's who I play as usually anyway
    Vanu smiles upon you! Yes, we are.

Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post
    Not sure if this has been stated somewhere and I missed, but what time do folks generally start showing up for this?
    It think it is supposed to start at 7:30pm UTC like a regular Strategic Thursday, ideally people should start coming at 7:00pm UTC to prepare the operation (be invited in the outfit if need be, then assigned a squad). If the numbers are overwhelming this might take more than 30 minutes though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Vanu smiles upon you! Yes, we are.
    Top stuff. I've enjoyed it so far, everyone said that its tricky getting kills and playing well. I tend to find people focus more on what's going on around them, rather than me lumbering up to them with my gun. Its certainly a slower pace than Battlefield but getting kills is just as fun and rewarding.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    If I'm finished with my freelance job (milestone on Wednesday, any fixes Thursday, deadline Friday) then I'll definitely try and make it, and will be happy running SL on the night as required.

But likelihood is that I'll be still plugging away.

I too shall be working till about 2300h, but if you are still pew pewing after that then I'm there with bells on!

Of course we will! I'll meet you then! A moonlit date on the lovely shores of Auraxis. With bells on.

Alright. We now have 4 platoons' worth of squad channels set up in Mumble, Alpha all the way through Papa. I think I'm gonna do a fifth platoon too, just to be safe (hopefully), but not tonight. I'm a bit unsure of the need to name them all alphabetically, if we're going to play split up into platoons anyway (which I strongly suggest we do, by the way, to off-load the SG some of the middle-level management stuff). It might be okay, just giving platoons some more attractive names than 1-4, and going for Alpha-Delta in each, so that it matches the in-game names.

We also need to set up something for the welcome platoon, something a bit simpler should do here.

Finally, CMaster, Cooper and any others interesting in being part of command staff (scouts etc); we need to have a chat about how you want your comms set up. There's room for some fiddling about with that if you wish, or you could all sit in the SG channel. Just be aware that the PTT key talks to absolutely everyone when you're in there!

Oh, and one final thing: PLs need to change two things about their bindings:
    1. Remove the whisper to current and linked channels keybind (which would otherwise speak to SG as well as your ROs).
    2. Map a whisper to Supreme Giraffe (possibly with subs, but not linked) to talk to SG. Bind this to a new key.

So, PLs get three keys to keep track of. Talk to SG, talk to ROs, talk to whole platoon.

Count me in as a grunt! (I don't have a good enough mic or enough time for anything else.) Now I just need to figure out what time this'll be in America...

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Sinomatic, time for you to try RO, maybe?
    If I can bring myself to have a go at it beforehand, then maybe. Though I may well put myself forward to help with the welcome platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Proposition: each platoon should operate almost independently. What?! That's stupid! That's contrary to everything CtA has been up to now. Why would you suggest that?
    • (Lots of smart points here)

[...]
    And then meet up at the end of the night for the obligatory mass galdrop and armour column.
    I was going to suggest something like this (only not quite so eloquently), but as a mere grunt I wasn't really sure it was my place. This goes for tacgir or stratgir or any night with multi-platoons to be honest. I've spent far too much time in squads on these nights with very little to do (and waiting around for orders), or getting somewhere and it being overrun with friendlies from our outfit already. Splitting the platoons up would at least give us a fighting chance (literally) to get into something a bit more interesting.

I should add though, that I seem to have been somewhat unlucky on many of these nights e.g. ending up in squads with significant comms issues, or where the PL was also the SL and RO, the squad being told to shut up constantly etc. I therefore may have a slightly skewed perspective on how well the multi-platoon thing works.

Seems to me that it is a matter of top level resource usage and intel, not organisational platform. If anyone takes issue with decisions made by the leads, take it up during debriefs, discussions on strategic improvement is always welcome there.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I've spent far too much time in squads on these nights with very little to do (and waiting around for orders), or getting somewhere and it being overrun with friendlies from our outfit already. Splitting the platoons up would at least give us a fighting chance (literally) to get into something a bit more interesting.

I should add though, that I seem to have been somewhat unlucky on many of these nights e.g. ending up in squads with significant comms issues, or where the PL was also the SL and RO, the squad being told to shut up constantly etc. I therefore may have a slightly skewed perspective on how well the multi-platoon thing works.
    Sometimes top-level (PL/SG) discussions or organisation can take a while. If you get significant downtime when the op has already started, your SL hopefully knows enough of what's going on to make an educated guess on where your squad would be useful. Taking the initiative and moving on to a new target without orders is something that is (i hope?) entirely possible and should reduce the time you spend waiting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Re: Platoons working as independent groups rather than under one "surpeme giraffe".
    I would agree with this only if PLs are passing on information about what they are doing on a regular basis to someone in command. Someone who can say "no, don't do that, another platoon is" or"can you go here instead" or "ok, I'll give you backup from another platoon if you ask for it" etc.

Platoons 'doing their own thing' will get messy and uncoordinated very quickly if they are not feeding what they are doing into someone organising things as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG