Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Well, I prefer the platoon number + a/b/c/d, but I'm not going to fight about the other way.
    This. Every squad will know their name relative to their own platoon.

If we use the entire alphabet and you're in Papa (Platoon 4 - Delta), if you hear anything relating to Delta, is it for you, or the real Delta? Likewise, the PL has to remember the correct Squad names when giving orders. Either referring to them as Alpha etc or Mike etc just adds an extra layer of confusion, especially for the new people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Alright, are we doing it this way, or the way it's currently set up? I'm happy either way, but will need to know if names need changing.
    For clarity when playing the game it helps if squads are called what they are called in-game. So delta is delat whether it's platoon 1 or platoon 4.

For people joining squads, it does involve pointing this out the them. Squds should be described as "Platoon X Squad Y" and it should be made clear to people leaving the 'welcome' platoon that they need to differentiate between all the channels named Delta.

I can envisage people joining the wrong Mumble channel if squads are named the same, but I can also see how it makes coordination within a platoon much easier if the PL, RO and SL don't have to remember that Delta is actually Papa.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yes, let's go for that then. I'll hop in and rename the squads. I've come up with names for platoons. We have

• Kepler Platoon
    • Goddard Platoon
    • Hawking Platoon
    • Newton Platoon
    • Sagan Platoon

That means squad descriptions when opening for recruitment should be:

[RPS] A Call to Arms - Kepler Platoon - Alpha Squad
    [RPS] A Call to Arms - Hawking Platoon - Charlie Squad

etc.

That's cute.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Original post updated. Added people to the roster for tomorrow, so check your assignment. See anything you don't like, let me know via PM.

We will need more SLs and ROs, and we will be recruiting offensively when the event is starting up.

KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Yes, let's go for that then. I'll hop in and rename the squads. I've come up with names for platoons. We have

• Kepler Platoon
    • Goddard Platoon
    • Hawking Platoon
    • Newton Platoon
    • Sagan Platoon

That means squad descriptions when opening for recruitment should be:

[RPS] A Call to Arms - Kepler Platoon - Alpha Squad
    [RPS] A Call to Arms - Hawking Platoon - Charlie Squad

etc.
    I'm not sure how much I'll be noticing this personally for this event, but it seems a little bit iffy to me. Nicknames are cool and fine, but using numbers for platoons and names (alphabetical ones at that) for squads seems like it would be much easier to keep track of in one's head than names that have no apparent gradient to them.

For example, I could see a status update cross-platoon wise being announced as "1st Delta, you will be recieving support from elements in 3rd and 5th platoon/ 4th Alpha/etc" Seems a lot tidier, and it's quicker to say and easier to remember for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I'm not sure how much I'll be noticing this personally for this event, but it seems a little bit iffy to me. Nicknames are cool and fine, but using numbers for platoons and names (alphabetical ones at that) for squads seems like it would be much easier to keep track of in one's head than names that have no apparent gradient to them.

For example, I could see a status update cross-platoon wise being announced as "1st Delta, you will be recieving support from elements in 3rd and 5th platoon/ 4th Alpha/etc" Seems a lot tidier, and it's quicker to say and easier to remember for everyone involved.
    agree with this.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Yeah, I think that might be too much. Also, that text box is not infinity long. "[RPS] A Call to Arms - Hawking Platoon - Charlie Squad" might be too long to fit.

[RPS] Call to Arms: Platoon 1, Delta Squad

I spent an HOUR finding good, two-syllable names of astronomers, cosmologist or space scientists... Ah, well, alright then, you sad, soulless, empty people. Maybe I shouldn't be fiddling about with stuff like this at 2:30 in the morning...
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 09-05-2013 at 07:38 AM.

And you didn't even consider Hubble? :P

I did point out that we should keep it as simple as possible and not change everything around again. this is from experience from leading real multiplayer sessions, as in out in the world real :D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    And you didn't even consider Hubble? :P
    Of course I did, along with Laplace, Einstein, Lagrange etc. Hubble Platoon sounded sillier than Hawking Platooon to my ears however, so Hubble got to go.

you could have taken ship names or satelite names
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Thought I'd go for science rather than technology. Anyway, all gone now, and you're probably right in that it's best that way.

Thought I'd go for science rather than technology. Anyway, all gone now, and you're probably right in that it's best that way.
    No. Needs more technology.

I couldn't make it last night, and I meant to to get some SL/RO practice in. I'm still up for either (limited experience) if needed. Or I'm happy to man the welcome wagon as well if required.

I'm not very experienced SL, too, but I got a Beacon - if you still need more SLs/ROs, I could make one, too. Sorry I didn't volunteer earlier, but I thought I wouldn't be able to participate at all until today morning.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I've volunteered for SL via the Googledocs sign-up list, also volunteering here. I've reasonable experience as SL and plenty of game experience generally. Plus I will be making a special effort tonight to be a 'proper' SL (keeping my giraffes together and making sure we support each other properly).

Re: mixed squads with both veterans and newcomers, how do we approach that as feeders? Do we simply tell people (both veterans and newcomers) to join the least populated squad they can see, in the hope that it will more or less even out in the end? Or do we go as far as asking SLs what they need and then sending them someone?