Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Game for a beginner PC gamer

Hello guys,

As the title says, I would like some advice for new games that will be fit for a beginner pc gamer.
    I am planning to start a pc gaming shop, but most of the people in the area are new to pc gaming.

any thoughts?
    Andre K. O
    andkon - neopets - starfall

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Just to be clear, these recommendations are for your shop?

As in, a shop where people come in and play, like a gaming pub or a shop that sells PC games?

@Drake Sigar
    Just to be clear, these recommendations are for your shop?
    - Yes, recommendations for my shop but I'm also the people who will play( new to pc games)

@Hensler
    As in, a shop where people come in and play, like a gaming pub or a shop that sells PC games?
    - A shop where people come to play pc games or surf the net.
    Andre K. O

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I'm sure Serious Sam 3 has something of a pick-up-and-play appeal.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Andkon View Post
    @Hensler
    - A shop where people come to play pc games or surf the net.
    Ah, so it's like an internet cafe centred around gaming?

The first thing I would say is contact Valve. They do licenses for internet cafes to run Steam and provide a library of a considerable number of games. Here's a link about information and how to sign up for it https://cafe.steampowered.com/index.php

Edit: There's also a full list of games that they provide here. I think it provides quite a nice cross between easy to get into indie/platformer titles and some of the more popular online games that would draw a larger number of people.
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 13-08-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Old but good:

- The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth 1 (RTS)
    - Age of Empires (RTS)
    - Battlefront ( team FPS )
    - Diablo 2
    - World of Warcraft
    - L4D ...buy you may need to navigate your way..
    - Serius Sam

Probably makes sense to have COOP and PvP games. People like these.

Ugly ideas:
    - Some soccer game
    - A browser, and poople playing farmville or ogame.
    - Sims

Maybe you can visit some playing centres on your area, to see what people is playing? people play in these center different games than a home. People is too weird strange and alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm sure Serious Sam 3 has something of a pick-up-and-play appeal.
    Thanks I'm gonna look at that game too.
    Andre K. O

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Ah, so it's like an internet cafe centred around gaming?

The first thing I would say is contact Valve. They do licenses for internet cafes to run Steam and provide a library of a considerable number of games. Here's a link about information and how to sign up for it https://cafe.steampowered.com/index.php

Edit: There's also a full list of games that they provide here. I think it provides quite a nice cross between easy to get into indie/platformer titles and some of the more popular online games that would draw a larger number of people.
    Yes, it is a internet cafe centered for gaming. thanks for the advice and links, really appreciated.
    Andre K. O

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Maybe you can visit some playing centres on your area, to see what people is playing? people play in these center different games than a home. People is too weird strange and alien.
    Great Idea!! Thanks... I will do that for sure!

I'm considering the games you mentioned.
    Andre K. O

Yeah, do a search for gaming pubs/lounges, and LAN parties. They'll usually have a list of their most popular games. The place I visit is called Strafe and can be found here: http://www.strafegaming.com/ , but they switched to more of a console focus lately. I also go to http://www.elitezonenc.com and they still have a lot of PC games that get updated regularly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If you're running a gaming cafe, I highly suggest you put League of Legends on your computers. It's huge.

Activated Node
    Check out some free FPS games. They will save you some money on licenses and many of them are quite good.

Urban Terror
    Warsow
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Some more I can't remember.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Eh, just get the stuff that's popular like FIFA, CoD, Battlefield, NFS...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Carcasonne.

A nice, simple car racing game. Most people can relate to driving a car, the controls are easy to master and who doesn't njoy arsing around in a fast car?
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison Dance View Post
    Check out some free FPS games. They will save you some money on licenses and many of them are quite good.

Urban Terror
    Warsow
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Some more I can't remember.
    Sauerbraten
    Tremolous
    Alien Swarm (needs Steam though)

Good additions for in-store gaming could be low-price high-quality indie games like Frozen Synapse (simultaneous-turn based tactical gaming; emphasis on strategical thinking and less on skill or quick reaction; easy to set-up multiplayer)

Of course this only works if you're attracting people that come for something other than Counterstrike, Modern Warfare or League of Legends.

If you want to focus on a stronger community-aspect for your store consider offering services like introducing people to steam, helping them out with gaming-related troubles etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Remember free games.
    If you can present it well lots of free titles are great introductions.

You don't need to know anything about games to play and enjoy sumotori, minecraft is also an excellent title for drawing people in. Minecraft licenses are buy one get one at the moment.

Keeping it indie... is the humble bundle over?

If you want to go for stronger pcs and premium games, left4dead, call of duty 4, alien swarm (free), team fortress 2, a battlefield 2.... everyone likes tanks.

I dunno, just good games without leveling up (except games with account based persistence where they just log in).

I always try and hijack lans with hidden source and chaos theory competitive multiplayer... but that's just because I think hide and seek with guns is the best game ever.

Obscure Node
    Gaming cafe's usually act as hotspots for World of Warcraft addicts when there isn't any organized stuff going on (speaking from personal experience >,<). I'd download it (free) and whack it on.

Depending on where you've setup you might be able to rustle together enough people for some gaming nights. Theyyl traditionally want games like Counter Strike Source, Quake Arena, Call of Duty 4, Starcraft, generally quite well known and fairly inexpensive games to setup on a LAN.

Network Hub
    I'd suggest things like Team Fortress 2 as it's pretty easy to get into and provides lots of fun even if you're rubbish at it, also TrackMania Nations Forever is a fun (and free) driving game that has some multi-player modes. Maybe Dogfighter (a cheap indie multi-player aerial shooter), Killing Floor, L4D2, Alien Swarm, and of course Portal 2.

Of course, you'll also want to have things like Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike, CoDBloPS, maybe Quake Live, but those are kind of obvious choices.

It's hard to say though, as it really depends on what type of customer you're trying to attract. Are you looking for people who are more 'casual' gamers, or just console gamers who don't have much PC experience? Either way, I'd suggest doing promotions to introduce people to certain games and kick-start the 'social' element (which I guess is one of the main draws of this kind of business).

EDIT: also Minecraft has extremely broad appeal, you could set-up a local server that only regulars/members could use, I'm sure that would keep people coming back.
    Last edited by Mistabashi; 14-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.