Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Again, worth mentioning that the core campaigns of NWN2 are great fun in multiplayer, and that's from someone who loathes multiplayer normally. Find some people to play it with, plan some diverse classes, and expect it to fuck up the connection every so often because Obsidian. Just make sure you have a bit of cohesion and let one person take charge when it comes to running the Keep or handling quest items.

    Give it a go. I had a couple of months worth of fantastic weekends in a game involving two other people at opposite ends of the country, with no voip or anything outside the game required.

  2. #42
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I've played them all, including a boatload of stuff from The Vault. I never had a problem with the camera in any of the games or expansions since release day, and certainly don't remember having to fiddle with settings to get it right. I played through the NWN2 campaign three times, including multiplayer with four friends. I stopped playing MotB because of the spirit mechanic.

    Reading comments about the game(s) all these years makes me think there must be something wrong with me as my experience seems to have been drastically different from everyone else.
    It sounds like you were mostly playing character mode, which has been fairly fine since launch. They put out a major patch a couple of months in to overhaul the camera options because they were generally viewed as so terrible. If you're playing with friends or just focusing on one character it was never really a problem, but if you wanted fine control over your party (pretty necessary in Storm of Zehir if you're playing on a highish difficulty) it was a struggle. One that has been happily fixed with the right settings now though, hooray!

  3. #43
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,564
    Ah yes, that makes sense. Now that you point it out I think I was always focusing on my character, letting the AI do their own thing. Thanks for clearing up that camera mystery.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  4. #44
    Network Hub Choca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by casimir effect View Post
    give it a go. I had a couple of months worth of fantastic weekends in a game involving two other people at opposite ends of the country, with no voip or anything outside the game required.
    STOP TEMPTING ME !

    Evil, evil man.

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Well thanks a bunch. This dang thread has made go and restart the cocking campaign again.

    I wanted to do things this summer, damn it. I had plans.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

  6. #46
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Well thanks a bunch. This dang thread has made go and restart the cocking campaign again.

    I wanted to do things this summer, damn it. I had plans.
    Well, I'm going to start poking around the user-created content. There's not a lot--especially compared with NWN 1--but I've got a few modules I downloaded that I want to try. I've previously played Pool of Radiance Remastered (pretty good, but I recall it being pretty frickin' hard; it needs to be updated to have SoZ-style party creation), Fate of a City (I seem to recall it being ok, but my memory's extremely fuzzy about it; probably not amazing), and part of the Conan Chronicles (which I dropped when I hit the gladiator pit, but which was quite good).

    I'm going to dive into Search for White Plume Mountain, Fanglewood, and Icewind Dale (not sure where I want to start, frankly). I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'd like to give Wulverheim a try, as it is an explicitly Elder Scrolls-inspired sandbox module.

    EDIT: Speaking of mods, I looked into that class mod for NWN 1, and it sounds like a huge pain in the ass, requiring additional programs to access the new classes and all sorts of bullcrap. Really all I want is for the classes that were added in NWN2 available and, if possible, the additional feats that were added. The NWN2 additions worked because they didn't do anything too crazy (a favored soul, for instance, is a mostly simple variation of the cleric).
    Last edited by Drinking with Skeletons; 11-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    On the mods front I feel the Rod of Preparation - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...I.Detail&id=62 is basically a must-have for the game.

    It lets you fire off your daily buffs in one action. So rather than sitting there post-rest and going through Stoneskins, Mage Armours, Barkskins, summons, permanent spells etc, you can knock them all out in just a few seconds with everything being cast on everyone by the appropriate anyone. It's kept fair through not functioning like that in combat, where using the Rod leads to everyone casting each spell in a queue as normal (in an order depending on how they're set up in the Rod) so no advantage is gained.

    Saves so much time if you play a support cleric character and love to use Permanent spells as much as I did.

  8. #48
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    @ Casimir effect

    Well I play like a real OG and only rest in inns or safe houses. The rest mechanic in NWN2 always felt like cheating to me so I always put restrictions on myself. The buffing didn't feel like such a chore when I was forced to pick when and where I wanted to be buffed. I would have to consider each spell carefully, do I really need a bless for this battle or should I hold on for a tougher fight? It felt much more like a table top session playing that way.

    Is there a mod that makes it more like the Infinity Engine games where resting in dangerous areas would have a chance of triggering an encounter?
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    @ Casimir effect



    Is there a mod that makes it more like the Infinity Engine games where resting in dangerous areas would have a chance of triggering an encounter?
    The last dungeon in the OC was like this. They should have done it in the whole game I think. Would have made it a lot more challenging. I hope there is a mod that does that.

    I love NWN2, one of my favorite RPGs of all-time. Glad to see it has a lot of other fans on here. Like many from Obsidian, if you look past the bugs and glitches it's a beautiful game.

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    @ Casimir effect

    Well I play like a real OG and only rest in inns or safe houses. The rest mechanic in NWN2 always felt like cheating to me so I always put restrictions on myself. The buffing didn't feel like such a chore when I was forced to pick when and where I wanted to be buffed. I would have to consider each spell carefully, do I really need a bless for this battle or should I hold on for a tougher fight? It felt much more like a table top session playing that way.

    Is there a mod that makes it more like the Infinity Engine games where resting in dangerous areas would have a chance of triggering an encounter?
    I always minimized the amount of resting I did and never abused the leniency the game afforded. My sorcerer would happily get down to magic missiles before thinking about resting. But otherwise I was happy to follow the rules of BG2 and rest anywhere. Yes there was no chance of being awoken by monsters like in BG2, but when was that ever actually a threat in that game?

    And the kind of buffing I was meaning was more the 8+ hour spells like Stoneskin or Barkskin or any level 1-3 spell cast with Permanent feat. Things that you do after rest because they'll be active until you next need to rest. That's where the rod comes in handy. It's pretty useless for limited-duration buffs because of their very nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    The last dungeon in the OC was like this. They should have done it in the whole game I think. Would have made it a lot more challenging. I hope there is a mod that does that.

    I love NWN2, one of my favorite RPGs of all-time. Glad to see it has a lot of other fans on here. Like many from Obsidian, if you look past the bugs and glitches it's a beautiful game.
    Most of Mask of the Betrayer has an anti-rest abuse mechanic. It's a bit of a shock to mage characters who have been able to waltz through the OC resting everytime they run out of meteor swarms.

  11. #51
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    @ Casimir Effect

    Well BG2 didn't interrupt rest that much but it was much more common in Icewind Dale 2. But I guess I'm more aggressive than defensive with magic, I'd rather cripple the enemy than boost my allies.
    Really as much as I criticise Dragon Age I will say their "Tactics" were a great idea solution to buffing busywork. It's like setting a dozen little "If, Then" programs so that mages would auto cast all their buffs. You could even set up lengthy cross party member programs where a mage casting a certain buff would trigger the warrior to use their particular buff. I thought it worked really well.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 12-05-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Well, I'm going to start poking around the user-created content. There's not a lot--especially compared with NWN 1--but I've got a few modules I downloaded that I want to try. I've previously played Pool of Radiance Remastered (pretty good, but I recall it being pretty frickin' hard; it needs to be updated to have SoZ-style party creation), Fate of a City (I seem to recall it being ok, but my memory's extremely fuzzy about it; probably not amazing), and part of the Conan Chronicles (which I dropped when I hit the gladiator pit, but which was quite good).

    I'm going to dive into Search for White Plume Mountain, Fanglewood, and Icewind Dale (not sure where I want to start, frankly). I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'd like to give Wulverheim a try, as it is an explicitly Elder Scrolls-inspired sandbox module.

    EDIT: Speaking of mods, I looked into that class mod for NWN 1, and it sounds like a huge pain in the ass, requiring additional programs to access the new classes and all sorts of bullcrap. Really all I want is for the classes that were added in NWN2 available and, if possible, the additional feats that were added. The NWN2 additions worked because they didn't do anything too crazy (a favored soul, for instance, is a mostly simple variation of the cleric).
    I've always like Adam Miller's Dark Waters campaign (pirate with a tiny bit of steampunk), and Subtlety of Thay was good if very hard. There was one fight at the beginning of Subtlety of Thay that my mage character only won through a lucky save and then a crit with a crossbow.

  13. #53
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    168
    I bought the NWN2 complete pack on sale at GamersGate a week or so ago. I have the original game, but after hearing so many good things about MotB, I decided to give the whole smack another shot. It's been years since I played the original game so it's like playing it for the first time...again. I had some faint ideas about what to do ("save your money", "need a tank") and I printed off a dwarven defender spec that helped me map out a path to level 30.

    FYI, there are probably spoilers ahead and I'm not going to bother putting spoiler tags in a discussion of a 6-7 year old game. If you're nervous about spoilers, stop reading now.

    I have gotten through the original campaign and I'm into MotB now and I have some general thoughts.

    - The graphics are holding up, but just barely. It's starting to look ugly.
    - I forgot how convoluted the D&D class rules were. Thank goodness for that roadmap for my character.
    - The game is stil buggy and has Obsidian's trademark signs of lack of polish. I've had to use console commands to force story-driven conversations to take place, experienced quite a few lockup, had mobs and players freeze and not react to commands, the "turn off AI" button works only sporadically, plot threads vanish (like Neeshka's romance option, which is strongly hinted throughout the entire 1st act and was dropped by the 3rd act) and even the final battle of the OC entirely bugged out.
    - What a PAIN IN THE ASS this is to install. The autopatcher didn't work right, so I had to download two patches manually and download some user-made tool to install those patches. Then there was another problem with MotB and I had to download some 300MB patch to play it otherwise the voices didn't play. Grrr....
    - The game is still fun. This is the most major thing, of course. I had a good romp enjoying some pretty clever quests, plot twists, building my keep and enjoying some fun fights. It's not a great RPG, but it's quite enjoyable. So it was worth dealing with the problems just to experience the game and the story. There's some great detail too - just using the inspect button on some NPCs and such revealed some pretty cool information.

    So all was good...until I got to MotB. I am a huge P:ST fan and therefore was looking forward to MotB since it's often compared to P:ST. There's still time to salvage the situation, but right now I'm not impressed. It's not the story, though it seems to meander after starting out very strong. It's the poor balance and mechanics of the game that have driven me to the point that I've had to download a character editor to get through some areas.

    - The gameplay mechanics like the soul system are poorly explained or not explained at all. I can't figure out what is supposed to have a soul and what doesn't. I can go to eat one and nothing. Sometimes it doesn't even try to eat a soul. Other times the bar shoots way up. I'm sure there is rhyme and reason to it, but it's not explained. I finally downloaded a mod that essentially takes away dealing with soul eating.

    - The game play balance is horrible - perhaps some of the worst I've experienced in 30 years of playing RPGs. To explain this, I think it's incumbent to describe my character. My fighter/bard/dwarven defender/RDD is a classic tank, designed to be virtually unhittable. I don't do tremendous amount of damage, but with many greataxe specialties selected I can do enough. I can walk through most any enemy and not hardly feel it with parry and tumble at 30, armor class somewhere around 50 and constitution at about 30. It's been fun to play.

    And then I got to some shadow things in the shadow world early in MotB. The two mobs couldn't touch me, but I had to role a natural 20 to connect - and then only sometimes would my character actually hit the mob (again, no reason why sometimes a 20 would hit and sometimes a 20 didn't hit). My character versus those two nameless mobs took 40 minutes. That's just absurd.

    I also encounterd some animals in a cave that regenerated so quickly that they were impossible to kill. Literally, I could have let that battle take place for a week and there wouldn't have been a victor. I finally used the character editor to increase my character's str and dex to 50 and it still took a few minutes to kill the shadow things. This kind of stuff is flat-out stupid. If there's some other way to kill those things, then the game hasn't suggested it and I haven't figured it out.

    - The influence system is not a whole lot of fun. It's hard to predict what will or won't work with a character and I feel like I'm blindly guessing. I've taken to quick-saving before having party conversations and re-loading if things don't go well. I don't have to get influence with everyone and normally I get a good feel for what will or won't work in conversations systems, but I feel like I'm playing a guessing game with these oddball characters. And I've found I don't appreciate it.

    So now that I've had to "cheat" to get through MotB because it's so poorly balanced, I'm more than a little annoyed at it. I'm hoping that it will get better and that ultimately it will be worth the pain, but right now I feel I'm grumbling at it more than I'm actually enjoying it. I just got to some sunken city, so let's hope it picks up a bit.

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    - The gameplay mechanics like the soul system are poorly explained or not explained at all. I can't figure out what is supposed to have a soul and what doesn't. I can go to eat one and nothing. Sometimes it doesn't even try to eat a soul. Other times the bar shoots way up. I'm sure there is rhyme and reason to it, but it's not explained. I finally downloaded a mod that essentially takes away dealing with soul eating.
    This is pretty much why I stopped playing the game. Perhaps I'll give it another shot and use the mod you used, as I was quite enjoying the game until this mechanic got the best of me.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    I'll take a run at some of these points. Just my opinions on them, so I understand and appreciate that yours are different. Buckle up kids, this is going to get long.
    Shouldn't be more spoilery than your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    - The gameplay mechanics like the soul system are poorly explained or not explained at all. I can't figure out what is supposed to have a soul and what doesn't. I can go to eat one and nothing. Sometimes it doesn't even try to eat a soul. Other times the bar shoots way up. I'm sure there is rhyme and reason to it, but it's not explained. I finally downloaded a mod that essentially takes away dealing with soul eating.
    There is a bit of an information problem here. For example, it'd be useful if you were told that certain summons go towards your suppress bonus - so you can help by getting Safiya or Kaelyn to summon things. Spirit Eating was generally straight forward though I found - undead tend not to have spirits, spirits/fey of course do, and humans you need a separate ability (which comes later and there's no real way the game could mention this earlier).
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    - The game play balance is horrible - perhaps some of the worst I've experienced in 30 years of playing RPGs. To explain this, I think it's incumbent to describe my character. My fighter/bard/dwarven defender/RDD is a classic tank, designed to be virtually unhittable. I don't do tremendous amount of damage, but with many greataxe specialties selected I can do enough. I can walk through most any enemy and not hardly feel it with parry and tumble at 30, armor class somewhere around 50 and constitution at about 30. It's been fun to play.

    And then I got to some shadow things in the shadow world early in MotB. The two mobs couldn't touch me, but I had to role a natural 20 to connect - and then only sometimes would my character actually hit the mob (again, no reason why sometimes a 20 would hit and sometimes a 20 didn't hit). My character versus those two nameless mobs took 40 minutes. That's just absurd.
    Just getting a character sheet and working from it isn't a great idea as it means other things might catch you out. For example, those Nightwalkers you're talking about (think that's the ones), should not be tricky so long as you have a +5 or more (I think) weapon. As a fighter-type class, your character should easily be hitting them with at least their first two attacks at level 20 or so. So it sounds like your character is lacking a few things. Reason things don't always hit - Concealed status, which is utter bullshit all the way through NWN2 games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    I also encounterd some animals in a cave that regenerated so quickly that they were impossible to kill. Literally, I could have let that battle take place for a week and there wouldn't have been a victor. I finally used the character editor to increase my character's str and dex to 50 and it still took a few minutes to kill the shadow things. This kind of stuff is flat-out stupid. If there's some other way to kill those things, then the game hasn't suggested it and I haven't figured it out.
    Optionaly quest to beat Malar creatures I think, meant to be pretty rock hard as it is an optional one. The main beastie in there is too much though, and is one that really can't be hit 99% of the time. Good balance of companions helps with these fights though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    - The influence system is not a whole lot of fun. It's hard to predict what will or won't work with a character and I feel like I'm blindly guessing. I've taken to quick-saving before having party conversations and re-loading if things don't go well. I don't have to get influence with everyone and normally I get a good feel for what will or won't work in conversations systems, but I feel like I'm playing a guessing game with these oddball characters. And I've found I don't appreciate it.
    It shouldn't always be easy to influence your people positively. It's an absolute piece of piss in any Bioware game to get positive influence, and every character of NWN2 OC is entirely unfaceted and don't want to hear anything but your affirmation of their views (except Ammon Jerro, but he's awesome). I found MotB really made me think about the characters, and the game rewards this - especially in how there are a good few times where you can initially lose influence and then make it back twofold later in the same (or future) conversations in ways you would not have been able to if you pleased them initially. The only exception to this is Okku, who is pretty straight as a character. But that fits with his character.

    The main point is that the gameplay of MotB for me was just there to pass time between story moments, and providing the satisfaction that comes from making a godlike character. It falls over once or twice during certain fights thanks to not having enough info about enemies, and again in a certain area when people going a spirit eater path suddenly have a really bad time of it. But for the most part I really enjoy it.

  16. #56
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post

    - The gameplay mechanics like the soul system are poorly explained or not explained at all. I can't figure out what is supposed to have a soul and what doesn't. I can go to eat one and nothing. Sometimes it doesn't even try to eat a soul. Other times the bar shoots way up. I'm sure there is rhyme and reason to it, but it's not explained. I finally downloaded a mod that essentially takes away dealing with soul eating.

    - The game play balance is horrible - perhaps some of the worst I've experienced in 30 years of playing RPGs. To explain this, I think it's incumbent to describe my character. My fighter/bard/dwarven defender/RDD is a classic tank, designed to be virtually unhittable. I don't do tremendous amount of damage, but with many greataxe specialties selected I can do enough. I can walk through most any enemy and not hardly feel it with parry and tumble at 30, armor class somewhere around 50 and constitution at about 30. It's been fun to play.

    And then I got to some shadow things in the shadow world early in MotB. The two mobs couldn't touch me, but I had to role a natural 20 to connect - and then only sometimes would my character actually hit the mob (again, no reason why sometimes a 20 would hit and sometimes a 20 didn't hit). My character versus those two nameless mobs took 40 minutes. That's just absurd.

    I also encounterd some animals in a cave that regenerated so quickly that they were impossible to kill. Literally, I could have let that battle take place for a week and there wouldn't have been a victor. I finally used the character editor to increase my character's str and dex to 50 and it still took a few minutes to kill the shadow things. This kind of stuff is flat-out stupid. If there's some other way to kill those things, then the game hasn't suggested it and I haven't figured it out.

    - The influence system is not a whole lot of fun. It's hard to predict what will or won't work with a character and I feel like I'm blindly guessing. I've taken to quick-saving before having party conversations and re-loading if things don't go well. I don't have to get influence with everyone and normally I get a good feel for what will or won't work in conversations systems, but I feel like I'm playing a guessing game with these oddball characters. And I've found I don't appreciate it.
    I think I know which cave you're talking about; my problem was that they seemed to have extremely high armor or something and most of my attacks failed to connect. I'm not sure why you had such trouble with the undead though. Safiya and Gann should have been able to contribute spells to help out; buffs alone would've made a huge difference.

    Your character certainly sounds like an extremely specific build. I'm not much of a min-maxer myself (though I love the word "twinking" because the word "twink" means something very different in the gay community), but I wonder if the game wasn't designed with balanced builds in mind. My last NWN2/MotB playthrough was a Favored Soul/Storm Lord/maybe some Divine Champion near the end, I can't quite remember, so he was all about stacking buffs then tearing shit up, which generally worked quite well. Similarly, in my Storm of Zehir playthrough, my tank was a Swashbuckler/Duelist Tiefling who wore no armor, rarely took damage, and hit like a truck.

    I basically agree with your criticism of the plot, but it all fits very neatly together by the end. Unlike any other video game plot I can think of, pretty much all of the sidequests link up in one way or another. It's a mystery, basically, and like any good mystery you won't be able to see the full scope of the story until that last piece falls into place. It's kind of like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, except it doesn't leave a bunch of threads dangling.

  17. #57
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,295
    This thread reminded me I never did finish the original campaign of NWN2, let alone MotB, because on the sorry excuse for a PC I had back then it ran like an arthritic three-legged turtle with a hangover. So I went and got the "complete" version from GOG, which comes pre-patched, DRM free and with the rather good soundtracks which now live in my MP3 player, woho!

    I'm not very far in yet and I've just finished a replay of KotOR 2 so I'm taking it easy so as not to suffer from RPG burnout. Just arrived in Highcliff and nothing really amazing has happened but brushing up on my dusty DnD knowledge, killing some skellingtons with lightning and taking the first steps towards saving the world while hanging out with a cantankerous dwarf and an annoying rogue lady is almost comfortingly familiar.

    The camera did drive me spare at first but after rummaging through the options and turning down all of the mouse turn/scroll speeds it's perfectly tolerable.

    The only other thing that bothers me is that the party member AI seems utterly useless. Perhaps I'm missing something but they seem hell-bent on running off to do insane thing; my druid will stand around shouting taunts, trying to ineffectually attack things on the other side of doors I've chosen not to open yet, my rogue will be off unlocking another door on the other side of the room without me telling her to, while the dwarf is busy waddling over every trap in sight and then use up all his healing kits. I've taken to turning almost all the AI features off and microing like a madman but still they chase after things alone and walk across traps at every opportunity. Is there a better way of doing it? Also, is there a way to get them to just stand still for a while while I sort out traps, spells, etc?
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 29-05-2013 at 09:59 PM.

  18. #58
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    This thread reminded me I never did finish the original campaign of NWN2, let alone MotB, because on the sorry excuse for a PC I had back then it ran like an arthritic three-legged turtle with a hangover. So I went and got the "complete" version from GOG, which comes pre-patched, DRM free and with the rather good soundtracks which now live in my MP3 player, woho!

    I'm not very far in yet and I've just finished a replay of KotOR 2 so I'm taking it easy so as not to suffer from RPG burnout. Just arrived in Highcliff and nothing really amazing has happened but brushing up on my dusty DnD knowledge, killing some skellingtons with lightning and taking the first steps towards saving the world while hanging out with a cantankerous dwarf and an annoying rogue lady is almost comfortingly familiar.

    The camera did drive me spare at first but after rummaging through the options and turning down all of the mouse turn/scroll speeds it's perfectly tolerable.

    The only other thing that bothers me is that the party member AI seems utterly useless. Perhaps I'm missing something but they seem hell-bent on running off to do insane thing; my druid will stand around shouting taunts and try to ineffectually attack things on the other side of doors I've chosen not to open yet, my rogue will be off unlocking another door on the other side of the room without me telling her to, while the dwarf is busy waddling over every trap in sight and then use up all his healing kits. I've taken to turning almost all the AI features off and microing like a madman but still they chase after things alone and walk across traps at every opportunity. Is there a better way of doing it? Also, is there a way to get them to just stand still for a while while I sort out traps, spells, etc?
    I dunno, the AI sounds pretty advanced to me, that's probably closer to your average pnp session than most cRPGs get.

    On a more serious note, at some point during the patching cycle, they integrated a fan-ai mod to the core game, that supposedly improved AI behaviour substantially, there are behaviour controls in each companions profile, have you fiddled with those at all?
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  19. #59
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,295
    I've fiddled with it insofar that I've turned automatic use of anything that uses resources off (so items and spells are on manual only), but party members still have a habit of wandering off and trying to attack mobs through walls etc. I'll have a closer look and do some more poking around tomorrow, was mostly wondering if I'm missing something obvious or if I should just learn to deal with my companions being a bit thick.

  20. #60
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,526
    I hate the AI in NWN games, both series I found it better to just turn it off and directly control the entire party.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •