Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Any G600/Roccat Kone/Perrix/Drakonia mouse users??

Someone asked me for a mouse which is

a - bigger than average (say bigger than an MX518/G400)
    b - lots of buttons

I've got it narrowed to the 2 in the heading but before I pass this on I want to check I've not missed one.

I'm also a bit shocked at the 70 tag on the Roccat (tho it's a lovely thing to use) and I'm a bit worried about the 12 (TWELVE) buttons on the side of the G600 - partly because that seems like overload and partly because the demo in PC World had all it's logos worn-off and the buttons felt awful (I know they get a kicking but still - that's nothing to 3 years of MMOing)

So - did I miss anything - any users care to backup the quality of these?
    Last edited by trjp; 09-05-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Those are very different mice intended for very different uses. At least as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I have a G600. I've had it for a few months, so I can't entirely vouch for the longevity of the side buttons - but they feel fine so far.

The 12 side buttons are not necessarily meant to all be used. I think they just made two sets of six and then people can pick the one that fits them best. Or if they have flexible thumbs, they can use both. I mainly use the front six, but I can reach the front half of the back six reasonably comfortably too. The ones right at the back, though, either strain my thumb or requires changing my mouse grip (in which case it actually works fine, but it's impractical to change your mouse grip on the fly).

Still, six side buttons that are easily reached and easy to identify by touch... that's fine by me. You also have the third button on the right side of the mouse, which can double your available keybindings.
    That third button makes the mouse very wide, but I have adapted to it well. It definitely takes a while to get used to, but that's to be expected.
    You can use it for other purposes too, like lowering DPI for precision sniping in shooters. That's actually pretty nifty.

Quality seems good overall. The software works well in most regards... though for some stupid reason you need to have the software actually open and on the keybindings page to swap between profiles when the mouse is in "automatic mode".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The third button/pinky-rest is what impressed me in comfort - I did wonder how much you'd hit it when I didn't mean to tho, it will take some getting used to for sure!

I was generally impressed at how much mouse you got for 50 - it sat next to a more expensive Naga (20 more) and there was simply no comparison in quality/feel - and the Hexa Naga (which I like the idea of) is actually MORE EXPENSIVE AGAIN!

But all those buttons on the G600 - even if you only use half of them - they didn't feel too nice (they had a Spectrum rubber-feel to them)...

Hmmmz

p.s. The Roccat isn't quite aimed at the MMO gamer but this guy just wants 'more buttons' and it has the trick of 'shifting' every button it has and so doubling everything up

One thing I must say is that both the Roccat and the Logi had FANTASTIC scroll wheels - just the right weight to scroll, easy to click sideways - slightly harder to click down - felt great.

I just couldn't see where the 20 more than Roccat cost had gone (into the LEDs probably)
    Last edited by trjp; 08-05-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    p.s. just Googling around I found a few people having real issues with Roccat support - there was definately some ignorance of consumer law and some issues in translation (Roccat are German) but several people were rather badly treat and Roccat made a big deal out of the fact their 'warranty' is not handled by them and they have denied that it extends beyond 1 year (EU law requires 2)

Logitech offer 3 years and I've not found much in the way of a bad word for it - add to that my MX518 is as good as the day I got it FIVE years ago and I think I'll just point at the G600 and smile

Unless anyone else knows a BIG mouse with more than 5 buttons (left/right/middle/front/back+some others somehow?)

Hah, as if you'd ever actually need the warranty on a Logitech mouse. They're like the Nokias of computer mice.

(okay, it does happen - they're usually wicked durable and reliable though)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Hah, as if you'd ever actually need the warranty on a Logitech mouse. They're like the Nokias of computer mice.

(okay, it does happen - they're usually wicked durable and reliable though)
    Googling around shows one seemingly common fault with the G600 - mostly for people who setup timed macros - in that pressing a side button will often spam/repeat what's bound to it many, many, many times.

Logi always say it's a faulty mouse and to return it but there seem to be suspicions that it's a USB Controller dependant issue and that some PCs will just do it when the CPU is loaded and/or other factors kick in.

I've had similar issues with other mice on some systems - USB seems to need a small amount of CPU and when it can't get it, things go wrong (much worse with a wireless mouse than a wired one usually).

Still - I have few other options - the price/support thing on Roccat means I'm reluctant to mention them and Razer - well - it's Razer innit

I did notice a rather bargainous mouse in the form of the Perrix MX-2000 (also sold as the Sharkoon Drakonia in slightly less subtle tones) - comes well recommended for it's 25 but I've no idea on it's size - don't suppose anyone here's used one?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Waking this because - well - because my G600 died and it died of a common fault...

Googling "g600 double click" will show you the many results - intermittent double-clicking when you hit the left MB. That makes it unusable (I was wondering why Google Maps kept ZOOMING and my devkit project menu kept closing!) of course.

Checking with a mouse diagnostic, it's reporting is 1 DOWN and 2 UP actions - so it's likely a hardware fault in the microswitch itself. Being software customisable, you can disable 'mouseup' entirely and sure enough the problem disappears - but so does your ability to drag/draw anything ;0

I emailled Logi yesterday - they confirmed it was in-warranty, that it was a known issue and suggested my best solution was to return it to the retailer (and gave me a reference if the retailer blew-me-off). It was a gift so I had to wangle the receipt from someone and they were fine about replacing it but didn't have any to replace it with!!

Being over 6 months old they weren't going to refund outright but we settled halfway on a partial refund and a G500S

I will miss the 'big hand' feel of the G600 - and I'll miss the pinky button - but I didn't use a fraction of the other buttons (as much done to Logi's dodgy software making it hard work to map them as anything else).

It's a shame - it's an expensive item, it feels well made but LMB failing in just 9 months is pretty poor stuff - esp when this MX518 has done 10 times the work and is still tight-as-a-drum...

Tho it could use new 'feet' - anyone ever tried replacing those with the kits you get on eBay?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I somehow have a feeling my MX518 was bought with the computer ~9 years ago or something. Missing right side feet but somehow it doesn't even feel wrong, and i had to do minor surgery (the wire itself was causing some issues at the point where cord meets the front of mouse). Just opened whole mouse, cut off ~15cm of wire and soldered the wires to the backside of connectors (didn't got a way to get right type of connector for the wire fast nor that cheap).

After those little fiddlings, i'd say you'll propably be able to make anything work with it.

My Logitech G600 is still doing fine, little over a year old now.

Why didn't you get a full refund? You have a 2 year mandatory warranty under EU legislation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    My Logitech G600 is still doing fine, little over a year old now.

Why didn't you get a full refund? You have a 2 year mandatory warranty under EU legislation.
    Which doesn't guarantee anyone a refund - it requires "refund, replacement or repair at the retailer's discretion".

The reality is that some stores will refund anytime - some will only refund under 6 months (the point under UK law where you have to prove inherent fault) and some won't refund at all and they're legally allowed to do that.

Furthermore - they can just take the item and return it for repairs, of course - and that can take an indefinate time!!

I could probably have made a fuss and demanded a full refund but rather than raising everyone's blood pressure I decided I was interested in trying the G500S and if it doesn't pan-out, I can resell it "as-new" with a brand-new receipt/warranty and little financial loss.

I didn't see myself getting another G600 - I'd just be looking for it going-wrong constantly.

Indeed some people think the issue may be a USB hardware conflict rather than a fault - e.g. it could have started when I changed PCs back in Feb and I can't 100% debunk that and a new one would have been just-as-bad which would have left me with a mouse I couldn't use!!
    Last edited by trjp; 18-03-2014 at 02:08 PM.

I have a Kone-XTD, a Kone+ too and I bloody love them. They are dead comfy and the side buttons are nicely placed, I don't waste my time with the easyshift but I have profiles for different apps and games so the buttons always get used. The only downside is the stupid announcer for the drivers that I keep forgetting to switch off that yells at me about achievements when I've flicked the scroll wheel 5000 times but I suppose they are trying. I hunted around and found both for about 50 which is still quite a bit for a mouse but I'm super happy with them and a couple of my friends have bought one after trying them so there is that I guess.
    \_(ツ)_/

Scroll wheel achievements? That's hilarious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd take less of those and more customer service - then I might buy one ;0

Roccat developed a fairly fancy 'app' which interfaces with your PC and shows you all the gubbins Logitech put on their keyboard LCDs (CPU temps etc. etc.) - I played with it in beta but all that taught me is that I don't really need any of that information.

and a mobile phone is more expensive than a 2nd/3rd monitor too ;0
    Last edited by trjp; 08-04-2014 at 11:49 PM.