Thread: Xenonauts

Obscure Node

Xenonauts

Thoughts now it's up on Steam?

So I experienced the original XCOM relatively late, clocking over 40 hours late in 2012 prior to Firaxis release. Overall I found the former much more enjoyable in terms of atmosphere, immersion and depth, so have naturally been looking forward if Xenonauts recapture those aspects.

Two interceptions in so far and I'm moderately impressed. In terms of mechanics and UI it's improved upon the original, and you could definitely argue the gameplay is more tactical. Difficulty in terms of landing shots and taking damage seems the same.

However, while the artstyle is OK, the atmosphere isnt as foreboding. As mentioned on the main site, the aliens are pretty forgettable and don't have the level of mystic or terror the original has. While the backgrounds are visually very good, I can't help feel a dettachment between the units and the terrain. Almost like a boardgame in terms of placing your units.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been impressed so far that the game isn't slavishly devoted to Old X-COM. Don't get me wrong, it's really really similar, but a lot of pointless dicking around has been removed. I am particularly a fan of the infinite-basic-equipment feature, like New XCOM has. It really does strike me as a game that has embraced modern ideas without leaving the core design of the original very much.

Night missions are still way too annoying, but they are trivial to mod out.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Judging from screenshots, the lack of opressive feeling may come from the fact there seems to be a lot of open space. Not many twisted corridors and nooks and crannies for aliens to hide.

It's nice that it's not a carbon copy of X-COM. I backed Maia for the same reason - Simon Roth is not merely a fan of Dungeon Keeper or Dwarf Fortress. He's inspired by those games and also has a number of his own ideas.
    pass

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I've been impressed so far that the game isn't slavishly devoted to Old X-COM. Don't get me wrong, it's really really similar, but a lot of pointless dicking around has been removed. I am particularly a fan of the infinite-basic-equipment feature, like New XCOM has. It really does strike me as a game that has embraced modern ideas without leaving the core design of the original very much.

Night missions are still way too annoying, but they are trivial to mod out.
    I'm glad to hear that. My greatest fear was that It could've been to attached to old X.
    I'll have to give it a try.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Just got my Steam key from Desura after pre-ordering it ages back. I've been avoiding it because the first couple of alphas I played were only vaguely encouraging but I might dive in again. I too like how they haven't just copied XCOM, because XCOM (for all its incredible goodness) still had quite a few issues that were either silly design choices or limits of 90s tech.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.