Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 435
  1. #221
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'd like to read why you think more active moderation is needed.
    Because the first rule of the RPS forums is regularly violated, with no consequences for the violators... Certain threads become more about backslapping and brow-beating than actual discussion, due to the toxicity that develops. And, as such, a large number of people don't want to bother with the forums and don't post here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  2. #222
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    And, as such, a large number of people don't want to bother with the forums and don't post here.
    Although I agree that this is true (at least for me), I am not sure if appointing mods from the community is the right solution for this. I mean, I am very happy that RPS is considering the addition of mods, especially for the various subforums for different games where for some reason there is a noticeable absence of fighting and arguing. But there it is mostly for administrative reasons and I feel that in case of the PC Games Discussion section it would be best to appoint as neutral a person as possible.

  3. #223
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    ... I feel that in case of the PC Games Discussion section it would be best to appoint as neutral a person as possible.
    And there are plenty of neutral, and perfectly reasonable members of the community that could be appointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  4. #224
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    And there are plenty of neutral, and perfectly reasonable members of the community that could be appointed.
    There are no neutral people. I'm on the side of Tikey and Nalano. Mods should be janitors, nothing more. I don't think these janitors should even have the ability to ban anyone. They should only be able to submit a report to Jim saying why they think a certain person is unruly and deserves a ban. Maybe give them the ability to mute people who have under a certain (small) number of posts in case of some sort of crazed new person.

    Anything beyond that should be handled by Jim or another RPS staffer and not a member of the community. (although I don't really like moderation at all, but it already exists on RPS in that form. Jim has locked threads in the past if they got too heated, etc.)

  5. #225
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    There are no neutral people.
    This.

    To me, however, it's a binary choice when it comes to policing: Post or mod. Anything else is a conflict of interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    especially for the various subforums for different games where for some reason there is a noticeable absence of fighting and arguing.
    Because the subforums are not so much for discussions but for information. There's no fighting because there's nothing to fight over.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  6. #226
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    There are no neutral people. I'm on the side of Tikey and Nalano. Mods should be janitors, nothing more. I don't think these janitors should even have the ability to ban anyone. They should only be able to submit a report to Jim saying why they think a certain person is unruly and deserves a ban. Maybe give them the ability to mute people who have under a certain (small) number of posts in case of some sort of crazed new person.

    Anything beyond that should be handled by Jim or another RPS staffer and not a member of the community. (although I don't really like moderation at all, but it already exists on RPS in that form. Jim has locked threads in the past if they got too heated, etc.)
    I'm perfectly fine with that in terms of a mods ability. Saying mods shouldn't have special policeman powers is fine with me. But I think it's just fine for this sort of thing to come from everyone, without the backup of enforcement capability and I don't see why moderators should perforce be excluded from that.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

  7. #227
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    You're all banned.

  8. #228
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,106
    Get a community manager.

    Drawing mods from a source of active community members can work, but can also be a disaster. I can only echo the words of caution noted so far. It's not worth offering my own anecdotes to the pile.

    I've been a moderator on active forums with large communities before now. It works best when all the community moderators do is the menial stuff. Remove spam, sticky things that need to be sticky'd and the like. The kind of stuff done over in the PS2 section.

    The moment authority over behaviour is passed onto someone, it helps immensely if that someone is external to the community at the point at which they are given that authority.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  9. #229
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Because the subforums are not so much for discussions but for information. There's no fighting because there's nothing to fight over.
    Oh, there is.

    It's just that in most of the (gaming) subforums you are likely to be chatting with that person & playing with them the next day.

    If you actually had to hold a proper conversation whenever large arguments break out, I'd bet we wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of grief we do in the main forum section.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  10. #230
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I disagree. Getting actively involved in discussions, policing threads, banning people is what the forums need.
    I can't think of many people who need to be banned. Discussions get heated but very rarely do I actually see people cross what I'd consider to be the line. Which brings me to this quote...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The mods immediately set upon enforcing the rather nebulous rules (of the vaguely defined "don't be a dick" variety) unevenly...
    ...and one of the fundamental problems we're facing here. The rule is simple: be excellent to each other. But sometimes people decide to define that as "All must reach consensus!" where any sort of disagreement or debate (or argument if you want to call it that) is suddenly prohibited. Nalano and I might argue at the drop of a hat but there's never any malice involved. I don't hate Nalano, presumably he doesn't hate me.

    I agree we need mods but bringing out the ban hammer? The majority of arguments don't approach those toxic levels. Conflict is inevitable on RPS, it's a relatively diverse community all things considered, you will not achieve universal agreement. My concern is that appointing someone with such powers may take the 'restrictive' route of "Oh you and so and so are arguing? Stop not being excellent to each other!"

    So I'd echo Tikey's question: What specifically do you think makes these forums so bad that they need moderators with such significant power? Because if it's just because of the simple fact that people have disagreements, then I fear the forums are going to become remarkably quiet out of fear of disrupting the peace.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  11. #231
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Nalano and I might argue at the drop of a hat but there's never any malice involved. I don't hate Nalano, presumably he doesn't hate me.
    I called Soldant a motherfucker once, but I meant it in the nicest possible way! Other posters wish they saw such regard from me.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  12. #232
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    When is moderation needed on this forum? I remember some of the attitudes, or "opinions", of some people from that Anita Sarkeesian thread that are demeaning to women, but none of those posts actually contained specific bad words. Should those posts be subject to moderation?

    I also think paying for the person to do the job, as requested by the administrator, is reasonable. Moderation requires time and effort, even if visible moderating "actions" are rare, the vast majority of time and effort is spent on reading the posts. As someone who doesn't regularly check the posts here, I can tell you that reading all of the threads in here is actually very labour-intensive work. It should not be passed unpaid, and there should be some tangible way for the administrator to tell you, "We value your work."

  13. #233
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I called Soldant a motherfucker once, but I meant it in the nicest possible way! Other posters wish they saw such regard from me.
    Heh, and a certain someone was offended by this.

    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I can't think of many people who need to be banned. Discussions get heated but very rarely do I actually see people cross what I'd consider to be the line. Which brings me to this quote...


    ...and one of the fundamental problems we're facing here. The rule is simple: be excellent to each other. But sometimes people decide to define that as "All must reach consensus!" where any sort of disagreement or debate (or argument if you want to call it that) is suddenly prohibited. Nalano and I might argue at the drop of a hat but there's never any malice involved. I don't hate Nalano, presumably he doesn't hate me.

    I agree we need mods but bringing out the ban hammer? The majority of arguments don't approach those toxic levels. Conflict is inevitable on RPS, it's a relatively diverse community all things considered, you will not achieve universal agreement. My concern is that appointing someone with such powers may take the 'restrictive' route of "Oh you and so and so are arguing? Stop not being excellent to each other!"

    So I'd echo Tikey's question: What specifically do you think makes these forums so bad that they need moderators with such significant power? Because if it's just because of the simple fact that people have disagreements, then I fear the forums are going to become remarkably quiet out of fear of disrupting the peace.
    I was thinking about this earlier and I don't really know what we suddenly need heavy handed moderation for either. We are a very small community compared to any major gaming discussion place like reddit or 4chan or even one of the sites like IGN or whatever. I think we've done a pretty good job of self policing. As hard as it may be for some of you to believe I do post differently here than I would elsewhere because I have a certain level of respect for the site and the community here.

  14. #234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I can't think of many people who need to be banned.
    I can think of plenty. Maybe not permanent. 6 months or so, to allow a nice fresh breeze into the forums, and allow all the people currently scared off to start participating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  15. #235
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    This is a tangential question, but are some people really so attached to their reputations (or implicit community acceptance) that they wouldn't just create a new account and come back and post under a different name if they particularly enjoyed the discussions on a slice of internet? Or is the temp ban also the revelation of how far the forum has fallen, and you realize in your heart that you must turn your back on the forum because the forum has turned its back on you?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  16. #236
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    I doubt you'll find many patriots in jail.

  17. #237
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I can think of plenty. Maybe not permanent. 6 months or so, to allow a nice fresh breeze into the forums, and allow all the people currently scared off to start participating.
    Srsly? This is why we can't have nice things.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  18. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    975
    Can I get a link to the posts of people who scaring people off from posting? This forum is one of the nicer ones community wise that I've used so its really confusing when people say anyone needs a 6 month ban.

  19. #239
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I can think of plenty. Maybe not permanent. 6 months or so, to allow a nice fresh breeze into the forums, and allow all the people currently scared off to start participating.
    Can you name any specific incidents or threads? "I can think of many" and then saying nothing does not build a strong case.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  20. #240
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Srsly? This is why we can't have nice things.
    No, we can't have nice things because some people come along and break them and cover them in sh*t all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Can you name any specific incidents or threads? "I can think of many" and then saying nothing does not build a strong case.
    Yes. But I'm not going to, because (as Nullkigan said earlier in the thread) "digging up history is a waste of time and liable to cause more of an explosion."
    Last edited by Unaco; 16-05-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •