Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Maybe he's just talking about himself, to himself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    No, we can't have nice things because some people come along and break them and cover them in sh*t all the time.

Yes. But I'm not going to, because (as Nullkigan said earlier in the thread) "digging up history is a waste of time and liable to cause more of an explosion."
    Can you PM me some examples? The most confrontational thing I've been involved with is Nalano telling me my game design threads are repetitious and that I don't actually listen to what people say in them so I won't have any stake in whatever examples you can come up with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The Women vs Tropes thread springs to mind. And possibly the are all critics corrupt.
    steam: sketch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    The Women vs Tropes thread springs to mind. And possibly the are all critics corrupt.
    Women vs Tropes was just one thread and I got more positive out of thread messages for that than anything else. I think that the attitudes of certain people in that thread scare off more people than intense arguments.

I think the critics one might be a good example. But bannings for those threads? I dunno.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I don't think bannings would be necessary, I'm not advocating that. To be clearer I was just pointing out where anger got in the way of actual discussion.
    steam: sketch

Banned
    I don't think bannings would be necessary, I'm not advocating that. To be clearer I was just pointing out where anger got in the way of actual discussion.
    Okay that makes sense.

Without being specific... Another recent one was the "Bioshock Infinite Terrible Story" thread that, although started by a madman, was beginning to get somewhere until it got visited by the sh*t fairy and Jams had to lock it as well in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    I think that the attitudes of certain people in that thread scare off more people than intense arguments.
    As I pointed out in the thread itself, in the conversations I had with female gamers I tried to conscript to join that discussion, it wasn't the foul language that was the issue: It was the foul thoughts. They can be just as dirty-mouthed as any other, but to have to explain and explain to somebody who at this point can only be willfully ignorant, no matter how cordially he may frame it - that is what drives them away.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    As I pointed out in the thread itself, in the conversations I had with female gamers I tried to conscript to join that discussion, it wasn't the foul language that was the issue: It was the foul thoughts. They can be just as dirty-mouthed as any other, but to have to explain and explain to somebody who at this point can only be willfully ignorant, no matter how cordially he may frame it - that is what drives them away.
    That's exactly what I mean. Although I personally made no attempt to recruit female gamers because I barely know any. Did you really try to convince some women to come in and respond to those posters? Are you sure YOU aren't the one who hates women? :P

In my experience 99% of internet posters have never even heard the term dogwhistle much less been aware of why "civility" is a poor standard for arbitrating who is in the wrong.

People have given about three examples of problem threads and IMO that doesn't constitute sufficient drama to require moderation. Perhaps I just spend more time on forums where people consistently tell people to go kill themselves and so I'm immune to the hate here.

Did you really try to convince some women to come in and respond to those posters? Are you sure YOU aren't the one who hates women? :P
    I bother all my internet buddies with piles of links to various posts on this forum. Some of 'em even jump in upon rare occasion. Mostly they ask "why do you bother with these morons?" We all have our foibles.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    While I definitely think the forums would be a better place with a few bans, I don't think it is necessary.

Take a look at what has happened the last few times Jim popped up to say "Stop being dicks". By and large, the personal attacks dropped drastically and we had good debates for a few days. Of course, that "safety" time has dropped drastically as people have realized Jim will only step in in VERY extreme cases, but it sets a precedent.

Having a regular mod around should keep that period of "I disagree with you, but I will refrain from referring to you as a 'fucking moron' because it brings nothing to the table and just makes it look like I have no argument" going for a pretty long time. And if there are people who can't adapt to that, then after the first ban or so they'll either fall in line or run off screaming about how the community is ruined.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    While I definitely think the forums would be a better place with a few bans, I don't think it is necessary.

Take a look at what has happened the last few times Jim popped up to say "Stop being dicks". By and large, the personal attacks dropped drastically and we had good debates for a few days. Of course, that "safety" time has dropped drastically as people have realized Jim will only step in in VERY extreme cases, but it sets a precedent.

Having a regular mod around should keep that period of "I disagree with you, but I will refrain from referring to you as a 'fucking moron' because it brings nothing to the table and just makes it look like I have no argument" going for a pretty long time. And if there are people who can't adapt to that, then after the first ban or so they'll either fall in line or run off screaming about how the community is ruined.
    It will be ruined though, with heavy handed moderation in such a small community you will inevitably end up with a big circle jerk, where all dissenters are whisked away to ban land.

Forcing people to be nice and get along at gun point is no way to be.

People have given about three examples of problem threads and IMO that doesn't constitute sufficient drama to require moderation. Perhaps I just spend more time on forums where people consistently tell people to go kill themselves and so I'm immune to the hate here.

This is a great point. I suggest all of you spend a day on 4chan's /v/ and then see if you still think RPS is bad.

Banned
    It will be ruined though, with heavy handed moderation in such a small community you will inevitably end up with a big circle jerk, where all dissenters are whisked away to ban land.

Forcing people to be nice and get along at gun point is no way to be.

This is a great point. I suggest all of you spend a day on 4chan's /v/ and then see if you still think RPS is bad.
    The closest I've been to being on 4chan is reading a series of screen caps of some /b/ posts about the saga of boxxy cause one guy on a forum I use is obsessed with boxxy. I was actually talking about various video game forums for specific games. /v/ is probably even more of a shit hole.

I don't think 4chan being worse excuses any other site for being shitty, I just mean I personally don't notice it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I agree we don't need a slew of bans (I haven't seen anything ban worthy recently, if ever). But I don't think we need "sufficient drama" to have moderation. Mostly Jim probably wants to offload busy work. Tasking mods with being Pillars of the Community seems like a fine addition to the rest of the role (not as in being a perfect little angel, using Please and thank you but as in respecting other people and their wishes as much as is reasonable).

My model of a functioning moderator in this sort of a community is someone who (in no particular order): does not ban people, reports to higher-ups if something particularly nasty happens as a sort of high priority version of the Report function everyone gets to use, does all the janitorial stuff, makes themself available as an explicit resource for new members, has a quick line to higher-ups for non-disciplinary things as well and performs triage when people need to get in touch with said higher-ups (if relevant, I'm not sure this forum would have much that would make sense in this category--basically they could prioritize a message to Jim and company on request from community groups/members with some guidelines for doing so), behaves particularly well and makes a point of apologizing to members when bounds are overstepped as inevitably happens, and like everyone else comments as constructively as possible when they think people are creating an unreasonably uncomfortable environment.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    What are you people still doing here? I've told you once. Clear out your desks or I'll set the dogs on you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    The closest I've been to being on 4chan is reading a series of screen caps of some /b/ posts about the saga of boxxy cause one guy on a forum I use is obsessed with boxxy. I was actually talking about various video game forums for specific games. /v/ is probably even more of a shit hole.

I don't think 4chan being worse excuses any other site for being shitty, I just mean I personally don't notice it.
    That's the point though, RPS isn't shitty. Also 4chan isn't as bad as lot of people pretend it is, /v/ is just a shit hole.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I'm offended by spoilers in the forums more than anything else.

I feel unwelcome at forums with ban rules more than I feel unwelcome at forums with assholes.

Spam in the comments of the main page could use moderation, though.

That's the point though, RPS isn't shitty.
    But it can be made shitty if we all get together and play our cards right.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Banned
    No. My cards are mine. You can't have them. Mine, mine, mine!

Can you craft tokens with those cards?