Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    I'm offended by spoilers in the forums more than anything else
    We definitely need spoiler tags in the text options. A few weeks back someone posted a huge upcoming GoT spoiler in the what are you watching thread and that pissed off a bunch of people.

I feel unwelcome at forums with ban rules more than I feel unwelcome at forums with assholes.
    There have always been ban rules here. Several people have been banned.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    There have always been ban rules here. Several people have been banned.
    Also a good number of assholes.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Also a good number of assholes.
    The humble anus fulfills an essential if unsanitary function. If we didn't have one, life would be a lot more challenging.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I didn't realize there were bannings going on. I guess it doesn't feel unwelcoming as long as there isn't always a threat of "You will be banned if you don't adhere to obscure community standards."
    To me forums are for discussing things, and here we are hobbyists/enthusiasts and there can't be discussion without argument, and there can't be arguments without sometimes heated emotions, and all that stuff is what forums are good for.
    But if people are spamming ads or things like that I understand banning them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I didn't realize there were bannings going on. I guess it doesn't feel unwelcoming as long as there isn't always a threat of "You will be banned if you don't adhere to obscure community standards."
    To me forums are for discussing things, and here we are hobbyists/enthusiasts and there can't be discussion without argument, and there can't be arguments without sometimes heated emotions, and all that stuff is what forums are good for.
    But if people are spamming ads or things like that I understand banning them.

I think the issue is that there is a difference between "heated emotions" and "I am just going to repsond by calling you the dumbest piece of fucking shit on the planet". The former, nobody minds. The latter violates the rules of the forums and is far too prevalent.

Regardless, take a look around. Many people who seem to only be capable of responding with personal attacks are still around, even after Jim has clearly been aware of what went on in some of the more hate-filled threads. I don't think we have to worry about a ban-fest.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    They're pretty rare and seem to be for consistently offensive behaviour. They only seem to be handed out when there's clear malice involved as Gundato notes. Which I think is fine for the most part... except in one case where someone was just joking around and got banned for it. He's still here, though.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    except in one case where someone was just joking around and got banned for it. He's still here, though.
    Yeah, but fuck that motherfucker.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    They're pretty rare and seem to be for consistently offensive behaviour. They only seem to be handed out when there's clear malice involved as Gundato notes. Which I think is fine for the most part... except in one case where someone was just joking around and got banned for it. He's still here, though.
    Somebody, totally not me, got banned for saying "No matter what you do in life, someone will think you are a jerk".

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Somebody, totally not me, got banned for saying "No matter what you do in life, someone will think you are a jerk".
    The thing about posts like that is that the context tends to be pretty important. I imagine said somebody probably said that right after a mod (so Jim :p) gave a warning or even reprimand about the whole "Stop being a dick" thing.

Seriously, I think banfests are the one thing we don't have to worry about. Career choice aside, Jim is a smart cookie. He isn't going to just give some random power hungry whackjob mod powers. He'll probably skim through the posting history and ask around (sort of like the purpose of this thread before it shifted to "We don't want to be moderated") before committing. And if there ARE bad bans, someone will alert him, he'll investigate, de-mod the mod (probably ban), and unban the bad ban.

Yes, getting a "full time" moderator will change the tone of the forums. But seeing as how it is being considered, the hivemind probably isn't huge on the current tone of the forums (seriously, when the defense is "It isn't as bad as 4chan", you know it is getting bad).
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And if there ARE bad bans, someone will alert him, he'll investigate, de-mod the mod (probably ban), and unban the bad ban.
    And by that time the damage will have already been done. You really can't repair trust.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I might be remembering this wrong, but I believe Hyper is referring to the time that two people both got banned during a debate on people who pirate games/movies/tv shows when they're unavailable in their country and then say "I'll buy the game later if I like it/box set when it's out" and we both used the word jerk to describe a hypothetical person. Nobody was actually calling someone else a jerk and there was no previous mention of "Alrigh' lads, calm down calm down" (that has to be read in a Scouse accent by the way) and the two people got a two week ban.

It totally wasn't either/both of us.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And by that time the damage will have already been done. You really can't repair trust.
    The PSN would beg to differ.

Hell, I vaguely recall even RPS got its accounts databae hacked once?

And the accompanying "We are very very very sorry. We had no idea that User X would be a complete and total dick. We offer our deepest apologies" will go a long way toward repairing that trust.

Like I said, there are basically three options (if someone sees a third, please chime in):

1. Do nothing. The assholes who go around doing nothng but picking fights will be the norm and lots of users will leave. Furthermore, RPS will eventually either get a reputation for having a horrible userbase (like so many other sites) or the forums will just be nuked
    2. Hire a community organizer. Those are expensive, so we can expect, at the very least, that the comments and forums would be merged together. As bad as the forums are getting, it still has nothing on the comments section
    3. Take a risk and convert a trusted and long-time user into a mod to help police the forums.

All three have risks, but it looks like the hivemind (with Jim forming the head) are leaning towards 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Seriously, you guys think this forum is bad?
    There are some rude people, sure. But I think, generally, when someone comes and posts a question they receive legitimate answers. To me that's a fair test of quality.

I don't know enough about any posters to nominate or support any as moderator. I think there are probably some lurkers who never post that would be the best.

I don't know enough about any posters to nominate or support any as moderator. I think there are probably some lurkers who never post that would be the best.
    Yeah, me.

I've done admin and moderation for large forums before. Nobody here knows me and I'm not part of any factions. I have the maturity not to take things personally or get into squabbles. Diplomacy has been part of my profession for many years. I have lots of free time. I don't want the position or the power.

Ideal.

But I don't agree that this forum needs a moderator.
    Last edited by glimpse fade yelp; 20-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Quote Originally Posted by glimpse fade yelp View Post
    Yeah, me.

I've done admin and moderation for large forums before. Nobody here knows me and I'm not part of any factions. I'm really ancient and have the maturity not to take things personally or get into squabbles. Diplomacy has been part of my profession for many years. I have lots of free time. I don't want the position or the power.

Ideal.

But I don't agree that this forum needs a moderator.
    Just out of curiosity, what's your profession?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Court Wizard, I hope.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    The work that I've done requiring diplomacy is fairly wide-ranging, but has involved mediating in contract disputes, agreeing (and governance of) service level agreements in very large organisations etc. Nothing very glamorous, unfortunately, but the skills are transferable.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are some rude people, sure. But I think, generally, when someone comes and posts a question they receive legitimate answers. To me that's a fair test of quality.

RPS is rather tame and seems to get along rather fine. Probably very few months we get that thread where it goes to far and some people need a temp ban.

Just look at a big site like teamliquid.net and how much they ban, http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...rrentpage=1574. I know there has been a few instances where community members with power have overstep but it is rather rare.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Broadly speaking this is a rather good forum given the number of members. One problem that a moderator could easily deal with is the tendency for some personal feuds to constantly infect threads. Also sometimes people get their posts dismissed based on who they are rather than what they've just written, which is something that it would be worth stopping.

Problems of the forum that it would be controversial for a moderator to get involved in are those arguments where a poster is arguing with someone without ever displaying the intention of taking them seriously, and those arguments where a poster misrepresents and invents things. There isn't an awful lot a moderator ought to do in such cases, but they could issue reminders to be respectful from time to time.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    1. Do nothing. The assholes who go around doing nothng but picking fights will be the norm and lots of users will leave.
    "Vote for me or the terrorists have won!"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl