Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best software for compressing video and audio?

If you try WinRAR, WinZip or 7Zip, none of these programs can compress video and audio files much at all.
    For instance a 20MB file only gets compressed to like 19.5MB on max compression.

What software out there is used to compress audio/video files into a compacted archive that compresses around the 50-60% mark?

Note : I am talking only about lossless compression here, I am aware video/audio can be compressed into smaller file sizes at a lower quality.

Thanks
    Last edited by MeltdownInteractiveMedia; 09-05-2013 at 09:45 PM.

There isn't. Most audio and video file formats (pretty much all but .wav) are already compressed, so you don't gain by compressing them again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    No idea on video, but FLAC is your boy for lossless audio.

I'm, talking more for storage/archive purposes or to send to people over the net.

If there was software that could compress audio/video down to 50-60% of it's original size do you think people would buy it?

That's not how compression works.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That's not how compression works.
    Care to clarify what you mean by that statement?

Both compressed media codecs and programs like WinRAR operate along the same principles. Short of converting to a lossy format or converting to a more efficient lossless format (FLAC is the clear victor here), you aren't going to gain much by compressing them again. Compressing them down to 40-50% of their size with no loss in quality — perceivable or otherwise — after they have already been compressed would involve violating the laws of physics.

I've just developed a compression algorithm that can compress any audio/video file to 50-60% of it's original size, which can be uncompressed again for use.

I'm just trying to determine if software that can do this for people to compress their media files is something worth developing and selling.

As I've been kicking around, it would depend on what the original format is. Taking raw audio and video recordings and compressing to the extent you're suggesting isn't as impressive as doing the same with an already-compressed file. FLAC already does that.

Well the original format makes no difference. It can really achieve 50-60%, no matter what file you throw at it.
    I guess then here the power of my algorithm is that it can compress files that have already been heavily compressed, which reverts to my question, is this something people would use?

In theory, yes, such a thing has a market. But nobody pays for WinRAR or 7-Zip.

True, but the question is, will people pay for the ability to compress video and audio, because no other software can?
    Anyway, we shall see..

Quote Originally Posted by MeltdownInteractiveMedia View Post
    I've just developed a compression algorithm that can compress any audio/video file to 50-60% of it's original size, which can be uncompressed again for use.

I'm just trying to determine if software that can do this for people to compress their media files is something worth developing and selling.
    Lossless? In that case, you might have proven P=NP and that's pretty much the holy grail of computer science. You should publish a paper and collect millions in research grants.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Lossless? In that case, you might have proven P=NP and that's pretty much the holy grail of computer science. You should publish a paper and collect millions in research grants.
    Yep, lossless. It's actually pretty simple, and was just thinking outside the box.
    Here are my stats so far on the prototype...

File Type Original Size Zip (Max) WinRAR (Max) 7z (Max) GZip (Max) My algorithm...
    AVI 18 561 kb 18 269 kb 18 211 kb 18 369 kb 18 252 kb 11 304 kb
    MP3 9 134 kb 9 076 kb 9 088 kb 9 120 kb 9071 kb 6 121 kb

Well, publish a paper and make lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Well, publish a paper and make lots of money.
    Writing a software tool that does this and selling it for cash is more my idea, and my forte.
    How exactly does publishing a paper make one money?

I'm no expert here but aren't you just compressing compressed formats more? The file types you used for examples aren't lossless typically, although fair play that is some good numbers. What sort of ratio can you get with FLAC files or MKV? Are they still playable after your algorithm has done it's work or are they in an archive?

Edit: Oops I missed the bit where you said it was mainly for transfer and storage. But I'm still interested.
    Last edited by shaydeeadi; 10-05-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Well that is the beauty of it, you can take a compressed format, and compress it even more to save space/storage, send it via email etc. I don't know of any other software that can compress already heavily compressed files to such an extent.

No matter the file, the compression ratio will always be 50-60%. The way the algorithm works it's file format independent (yes, very out of the box compression, I know).

The files will be in an archive.

I'd like to try it out at some point, where will you be releasing it?

Thanks for the interest . it's still in the prototyping stage but I need to put a nice pretty UI around it and do some performance optimizations, and hopefully find some ways to squeeze out a little more compression.

Will have something ready within a month or so.