Potential upgrades

I've recently got back into PC gaming, after a lapse of some years and I've. I purchased a pre-built Dell XPS 8700 (maybe not the wising thing in hindsight, after sorting out the SSD, I realised its not actually that difficult to add hardware so I could have probably done it myself but at the time I needed a quick solution.)

The current set up is:
    CPU: Intel i7-4770 quad core @ 3.40GHz. Memory: 12Gb DDR3. Hard Drives: OS/photoshop running on 120 Samsung 840 series SSD. Seagate 2TB SATA drive for everything else. GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 645 (OEM version) 1Gb memory. OS: Windows 8 64 bit. Screen res: 1680x1050 but I don't mind the games running at lower res.

I was thinking of upgrading the GPU because of upcoming releases like Battlefield 4, Watchdogs etc and trying to run the Battlefield 4 beta gives an error message about drivers (it needs the 320.XX drivers) but the software for the card maintains that its up to date with 318.XX drivers. I've done some research at the OEM GTX 645 seems to be a re-badged card for the 500 range.

Apart from some newer games, it's primary use of general stuff and photoshop work which its currently brilliant for.

Is there anything else you'd recommend upgrading, any potential problems I should be aware of?. Small words, if you please, I'm, at best, a rank amateur when it comes to technical things! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Samorai; 15-10-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The latest certified driver for that card is 327.23. The newest beta driver is 331.40. Get them straight from Nvidia.

You could of course upgrade to a new graphics card, but I'm not sure it's really necessary for your needs. You play at a lower than standard resolution, and don't seem to be that much of a hardcore gamer.

Just tried that - it lists the 645 on the compatible cards but when I try running the installer it says its not-compatible with the card.

I should have also stated, are there any recommendations as to a good mid-range GPU? I notice that a lot of upcoming games list 2GB or more for the GPUs memory but I'm guessing thats a very average figure to accommodate differing setups.

You're right about the hardcore, I'm not going to try running something like Crysis 3 on its highest settings (primarily because apart from the graphics, its dreadful, gameplay and story wise), I'd just like them to look "nice". When you mention the lower than standard resolution, is that referring to the 1680 or the comment about happier to run at less?

EDIT: I tell a lie, just downloaded a slightly older one and it seems to be working.
    Last edited by Samorai; 15-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Oh, right. You have the GTX 645, the Nvidia drivers only mention the GT 645. Great naming scheme there.

As for resolution, 1680x1050 is slightly less than standard resolution today (the standard really being 1920x1080). Even more so if you run at lower resolutions, but on flat panels that's not a great solution because image quality will be degraded.

Thats good to know about the resolution - the monitor I have was a spare at work which saved me a chunk of change.

Still, the drivers seemed to install this time but now the Beta has either ended or Origin is being a bag of crap! It'd try to run before but fail on the drivers but after downloading an update, apparently its "not available yet". Ah well, c'est la vie.