Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Best software for compressing video and audio?

If you try WinRAR, WinZip or 7Zip, none of these programs can compress video and audio files much at all.
    For instance a 20MB file only gets compressed to like 19.5MB on max compression.

What software out there is used to compress audio/video files into a compacted archive that compresses around the 50-60% mark?

Note : I am talking only about lossless compression here, I am aware video/audio can be compressed into smaller file sizes at a lower quality.

Thanks
    Last edited by MeltdownInteractiveMedia; 09-05-2013 at 09:45 PM.

There isn't. Most audio and video file formats (pretty much all but .wav) are already compressed, so you don't gain by compressing them again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    No idea on video, but FLAC is your boy for lossless audio.

I'm, talking more for storage/archive purposes or to send to people over the net.

If there was software that could compress audio/video down to 50-60% of it's original size do you think people would buy it?

That's not how compression works.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That's not how compression works.
    Care to clarify what you mean by that statement?

Both compressed media codecs and programs like WinRAR operate along the same principles. Short of converting to a lossy format or converting to a more efficient lossless format (FLAC is the clear victor here), you aren't going to gain much by compressing them again. Compressing them down to 40-50% of their size with no loss in quality — perceivable or otherwise — after they have already been compressed would involve violating the laws of physics.

I've just developed a compression algorithm that can compress any audio/video file to 50-60% of it's original size, which can be uncompressed again for use.

I'm just trying to determine if software that can do this for people to compress their media files is something worth developing and selling.

Quote Originally Posted by MeltdownInteractiveMedia View Post
    I've just developed a compression algorithm that can compress any audio/video file to 50-60% of it's original size, which can be uncompressed again for use.

I'm just trying to determine if software that can do this for people to compress their media files is something worth developing and selling.
    Lossless? In that case, you might have proven P=NP and that's pretty much the holy grail of computer science. You should publish a paper and collect millions in research grants.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Lossless? In that case, you might have proven P=NP and that's pretty much the holy grail of computer science. You should publish a paper and collect millions in research grants.
    Yep, lossless. It's actually pretty simple, and was just thinking outside the box.
    Here are my stats so far on the prototype...

File Type Original Size Zip (Max) WinRAR (Max) 7z (Max) GZip (Max) My algorithm...
    AVI 18 561 kb 18 269 kb 18 211 kb 18 369 kb 18 252 kb 11 304 kb
    MP3 9 134 kb 9 076 kb 9 088 kb 9 120 kb 9071 kb 6 121 kb

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar

Just logged in to say well done!
    I personally love the idea, but wouldn't buy a compression software unless it was able to replace winrar i.e was able to read, compress and uncompress to all the formats winrar supports. Have you looked into partnering with RARlabs on a licensing basis?

Another strategy: Develop your own delta backup software with your compression technology used to compress backups. A backup app that can compress say a windows partition backup image from 75GB to 45GB on the fly would be very attractive to a lot of people.

If you can work on something with the feature set of TrueImage (including a Linux application that can be loaded from a boot cd) and the UI of Apple's Time Machine you will have a winner on your hands. Having a background in Directx development, I'm sure you can put together an amazing OpenGL or WPF UI with robust file previews (would recommend you go the OpenGL route for code portability to other OSes).

Create a regular app version for us open system lovers and another Win8 App Store app and you will have a winner on your hands.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by mashakos; 27-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Activated Node
    Why on Earth is anybody still using WinRAR? 7-Zip is way, way better in almost every way and it's completely free.

As I've been kicking around, it would depend on what the original format is. Taking raw audio and video recordings and compressing to the extent you're suggesting isn't as impressive as doing the same with an already-compressed file. FLAC already does that.

Well the original format makes no difference. It can really achieve 50-60%, no matter what file you throw at it.
    I guess then here the power of my algorithm is that it can compress files that have already been heavily compressed, which reverts to my question, is this something people would use?

In theory, yes, such a thing has a market. But nobody pays for WinRAR or 7-Zip.

True, but the question is, will people pay for the ability to compress video and audio, because no other software can?
    Anyway, we shall see..

Well, publish a paper and make lots of money.

Well, publish a paper and make lots of money.
    Writing a software tool that does this and selling it for cash is more my idea, and my forte.
    How exactly does publishing a paper make one money?

Writing a software tool that does this and selling it for cash is more my idea, and my forte.
    How exactly does publishing a paper make one money?
    Because if you've figured out how to compress random data, there's probably a big prize waiting for you. Lots of fields would be changed (like cryptography) and there are loads of parties in the world who would pay very big salaries to have someone with that skill set.

To be completely honest, I'm saying this to illustrate what this would mean. You'd turn upside down a few big areas in computing. Or you made a mistake somewhere and it's not lossless. Which is where my money is, I'm sorry to say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    To be completely honest, I'm saying this to illustrate what this would mean. You'd turn upside down a few big areas in computing. Or you made a mistake somewhere and it's not lossless. Which is where my money is, I'm sorry to say.
    Basically this. I too would be interested in trying this out, keep us posted.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?