Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    May I assume that you have approached this subject from a mathematical point of view? In that case I wouldn't be surprised by the language barrier, my reading of the word "any" would be closer to the word "most". This is of course mathematically speaking, totally wrong.

Although that every algorithm has as many files that it "enlarges" as it compresses does sound a bit much, considering the Huffman technique mentioned before, but with a table calculated for each specific file. Albeit not a optimum algorithm and I'm sure there are still cases where the files "enlarges", does it still have the property of enlarging as many files as it compresses?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Using headers is a simple enough workaround for general purpose. It could be taken to the next level and split by file, and then compress the files depending on the data type.
    That would be a step backwards, I think. Compression programs first make one big stream of all the files. Then that stream is compressed. This allows you to also remove redundancies that are across multiple files.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    That would be a step backwards, I think. Compression programs first make one big stream of all the files. Then that stream is compressed. This allows you to also remove redundancies that are across multiple files.
    Didn't though of that. And there is also some overhead to store many compressed files, many repeated information.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeltdownInteractiveMedia View Post
    I've just developed a compression algorithm that can compress any audio/video file to 50-60% of it's original size, which can be uncompressed again for use.

I'm just trying to determine if software that can do this for people to compress their media files is something worth developing and selling.
    Just logged in to say well done!
    I personally love the idea, but wouldn't buy a compression software unless it was able to replace winrar i.e was able to read, compress and uncompress to all the formats winrar supports. Have you looked into partnering with RARlabs on a licensing basis?

Another strategy: Develop your own delta backup software with your compression technology used to compress backups. A backup app that can compress say a windows partition backup image from 75GB to 45GB on the fly would be very attractive to a lot of people.

If you can work on something with the feature set of TrueImage (including a Linux application that can be loaded from a boot cd) and the UI of Apple's Time Machine you will have a winner on your hands. Having a background in Directx development, I'm sure you can put together an amazing OpenGL or WPF UI with robust file previews (would recommend you go the OpenGL route for code portability to other OSes).

Create a regular app version for us open system lovers and another Win8 App Store app and you will have a winner on your hands.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by mashakos; 27-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Activated Node
    Why on Earth is anybody still using WinRAR? 7-Zip is way, way better in almost every way and it's completely free.

why is everybody reading over his post about fucking up the algorithm and it didnt decompress?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    why is everybody reading over his post about fucking up the algorithm and it didnt decompress?
    Yikes, didn't see that post! Oh well :P
    Steam profile

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Yikes, didn't see that post! Oh well :P
    No, just answer the WinRAR question. Why?
    Do you really need to compress rar?

No, just answer the WinRAR question. Why?
    Do you really need to compress rar?
    Winrar does everything 7zip does using a better interface, plus it loads faster.
    Steam profile

Activated Node
    Shell integration is nowhere near as good, supports about half as many file types, it has a hideously annoying pop-up unless you pay or pirate it, interface looks like it's from the late 90s and designed for people who like big pictures, and it's far more of a pain in the arse for batched files (I'm willing to accept some of these might have changed given as I haven't used it in years, however).

I've no idea what's up with your PCs though, 7-Zip loads up on all of mine in a few milliseconds and yet apparently you have a big e-peen.

I keep forgetting about 7zip. Ive set up 2 new computers in the last weeks, and I got winrar everytime.

I used to get a "funny" copy of Powerarchiver before. But that always gave me product key problems, so I dont anymore.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wooden Spoon View Post
    Shell integration is nowhere near as good, supports about half as many file types, it has a hideously annoying pop-up unless you pay or pirate it, interface looks like it's from the late 90s and designed for people who like big pictures, and it's far more of a pain in the arse for batched files (I'm willing to accept some of these might have changed given as I haven't used it in years, however).

I've no idea what's up with your PCs though, 7-Zip loads up on all of mine in a few milliseconds and yet apparently you have a big e-peen.
    http://www.rarlab.com/otherfmt.htm
    Winrar supports 7z, iso, tar and lzh in addition to zip and rar. Good enough for me.
    shell integration is amazing, what are you talking about? A right click on any compressed file and it silently extracts to any location you wish.
    The interface is a standard explorer window unlike 7zip's nonsense. Last time I checked, you can't use standard windows shortcuts in 7zip (shift+F10, F11, alt+enter). Even backspace wasn't supported when I tried it a while ago which is insane.
    You buy games for $45 + but can't bring yourself to pay for an essential application that is important several years after it's release? Sucks to be a software developer...
    Last edited by mashakos; 28-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Steam profile

Activated Node
    Good enough for you? I thought your whole shtick was telling people that what was good enough for them was never good enough...

Shell integration options are limited compared to 7-Zip, that's my problem with it. I have the unextract options up top where I want them, and more esoteric options below. Windows shortcuts, including all the ones you mentioned and more work fine and have done for years. Once again I have no idea what's wrong with your PC, but you seem to be having some basic usability errors.

I don't pay $45 bucks for something that became out-dated around 2004 because someone gives me a better product for nothing. Hell, I barely spend $45 on games these days let alone on completely unnecessary, inferior software.

You buy games for $45 + but can't bring yourself to pay for an essential application that is important several years after it's release? Sucks to be a software developer...
    Good lord, you actually pay for the thing? Essential in what Universe?
    Not to mention they have their Super Special Format that can't be compressed unless they say so.

He must be just about the only guy in the world who actually bought Winrar.

here is a quick overview of 7zip after using it for 5 minutes:

7zip launches quickly enough compared to initial versions and keyboard shortcuts for file browsing are in place which is nice. Wanted to do a quick usability test. Right click on a zip file and extract the contents without opening the zip.

Upon right clicking on the file, I noticed that winrar gave me better options right off the bat while 7zip relegates everything to a submenu. I'm sure this can be changed in the settings, but from first impressions, 7zip seems like yet another app I have to fiddle around with for standard usability features.

Wanting to see 7zip's file options, I opened the zip file and looked for a preview button. Apparently "open" is 7zip's equivalent of a preview.

That is obviously not the case, as you can see from the result. A blank screen:

winrar has a pretty good internal utf text viewer and also managed to "open" the file correctly using the associated program:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3873/winraropen.jpg
    overall? 7zip is not the kind of app you can expect to use without paying attention to proper configuration i.e. you can't use it "blindfolded" or "out of the box". Definitely has some kinks that are not present in winrar. It's free though which is nice.

Note that I tested winrar on a separate machine using a trial version to keep things equal (don't need excuses about the full version having pro features etc.). Also note that I installed the 64 bit versions of both winrar and 7zip.
    Last edited by mashakos; 29-05-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Steam profile

7zip is not the kind of app you can expect to use without paying attention to proper configuration i.e. you can't use it "blindfolded" or "out of the box".
    I thought you were the guy that fiddled with emulators and the general tech nerd around here. Now you consider a internal viewer a feature? You even use a notepad alternative!
    Using an "app" blindfolded is not your use case, so why do you care about the lowly casual computer users? That notepad alternative also requires fiddling.

But then, Sublime Notepad 2 has a large UNREGISTERED banner, so if you are a masochist, that's your call.

EDIT:Holy *#&, Sublime Text costs $70. That's 120 bucks down the drain.
    Last edited by somini; 29-05-2013 at 09:56 PM.

I thought you were the guy that fiddled with emulators and the general tech nerd around here. Now you consider a internal viewer a feature? You even use a notepad alternative!
    Using an "app" blindfolded is not your use case, so why do you care about the lowly casual computer users? That notepad alternative also requires fiddling.

But then, Sublime Notepad 2 has a large UNREGISTERED banner, so if you are a masochist, that's your call.

EDIT:Holy *#&, Sublime Text costs $70. That's 120 bucks down the drain.
    for these kind of essential apps that I need to install on any machine I need to use, I'd rather have something that doesn't need to be reconfigured on every new install...
    Steam profile

Activated Node
    Pretty much everything you mentioned is configurable, including the editor used and the shell options. Personally I'd rather use a decent text editor along the lines of Notepad++, or even DW or VS, to open .ascx files, but whatever floats your boat.

As for the settings, if taking the one minute per install to rejig them is too much work for you, you could just copy them from one machine to another. Or just pay $45 for software that no right-minded tech user has installed in a decade.

To be honest, I don't really care what you use - I just find it hilarious that given your tendency to completely crap on other peoples' opinions and profess yourself to be some kind of technological overlord, you're still using something that would get you laughed out of every two-bit IT department I've ever worked in. That said, given the general standard of your sage advice, it's not particularly surprising.
    Last edited by Bent Wooden Spoon; 30-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wooden Spoon View Post
    Pretty much everything you mentioned is configurable, including the editor used and the shell options. Personally I'd rather use a decent text editor along the lines of Notepad++, or even DW or VS, to open .ascx files, but whatever floats your boat.

As for the settings, if taking the one minute per install to rejig them is too much work for you, you could just copy them from one machine to another. Or just pay $45 for software that no right-minded tech user has installed in a decade.

To be honest, I don't really care what you use - I just find it hilarious that given your tendency to completely crap on other peoples' opinions and profess yourself to be some kind of technological overlord, you're still using something that would get you laughed out of every two-bit IT department I've ever worked in. That said, given the general standard of your sage advice, it's not particularly surprising.
    you asked me why I use winrar, I gave you an answer. Whether you like to keep a usb of config files in a necklace around your neck wherever you go for 7zip is up to you.
    Steam profile