Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Have 10-20 GB available on your SSD ? here is a tip for you

Install PS2 on your SSD.

Seriously, that will make the game way more enjoyable. Loading screens that disappear in a second, assets that load right away. I used to rage against the time I spent watching a loading screen or waiting for assets to load (like at the warpgate, on a normal hard drive, you're in game, but there is no terminal or menu available till load is finished).

Don't want to move your install because you want the Steam overlay ? No problem.

Install your game on the SSD, then go to Steam > Games > Add a non-steam game. Browse your drive, choose Launchpad.exe, rename the new shortcut to Planetside 2 (and change the icon). Launch your game through Steam : Ding ! you've got the Steam overlay in your PS2.

By the way, you can copy and paste your install from one drive to another. I had to do that when I configured my new computer, and it work like a charm (keep all your settings and binds too).
    Last edited by Ksempac; 30-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    SSD for the win. It is literally the one upgrade that will change how you perceive your PC. Booting, starting programs, running (many) games. All faster. But I really, sincerely hope that everyone knew this already?!

Also, "Go"? What are you, French?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    SSD for the win. It is literally the one upgrade that will change how you perceive your PC. Booting, starting programs, running (many) games. All faster. But I really, sincerely hope that everyone knew this already?!

Also, "Go"? What are you, French?
    >_<

Fixed to GB. I find the Go abbreviation so much better than the whole Gb/GB thing. Might be the only technical term that is better in French than English.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Yeah, been running PS2 off the SSD since beta and the load times compared to the test client on my HDD are excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    I really should get an SSD, but I cannot be arsed to reinstall my OS onto it.

Suppose I could just grab one for game loading.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    I really should get an SSD, but I cannot be arsed to reinstall my OS onto it.

Suppose I could just grab one for game loading.
    My first ssd 2 years ago was a corsair that came with a small usb cable and a software to copy a disk content onto the ssd.
    I did a defragmentation of my c: drive, plugged the ssd through usb, launched the copy through the software. 2h later the copy was done, i swapped my hdd and sdd, bam job done booted without problem.

And my original hdd was a 1 To disk with 2 partitions on it, but the software copied my 100 Go c: drive without problem to my 128 Go SSD. I then formatted that partition and used the two partitions for data without problem.

Worked like a charm, no fiddling, no knowledge needed, and i think the kit was like a few euros more than the ssd alone.

I moved my OS install over to my SSD, no reinstall or extra hardware required. There's a million guides on the internet on how to do it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    I actually started off on an SSD and only moved to a traditional drive when I was trying to make space. Instantly regretted that shit and went straight back.

Use an SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Eh, im sure ill get around to doing it some time.

Cant say im all that bothered atm as my pc is hardly slow anyway.

Also, requires actually buying said stuff.

For reference though, Ksem or Boris, it would be cool if you could point me in the direction of mentioned kits/guides if you know of any decent examples. Would certainly save me the trouble of trawling, but no pressure.

Ksempac, does this software simply copy the OS over, or does it wipe it from your previous C drive too?
    How does it recognise that you are setting the SSD to be your new C:?
    Also, are there no problems that can occur from fucking around with your OS location for other pieces of software?

Finally: Any recommendations of makes and models of SSD, as well as the best retailers?

Eh, im sure ill get around to doing it some time.

Cant say im all that bothered atm as my pc is hardly slow anyway.

Also, requires actually buying said stuff.

For reference though, Ksem or Boris, it would be cool if you could point me in the direction of mentioned kits/guides if you know of any decent examples. Would certainly save me the trouble of trawling, but no pressure.

Ksempac, does this software simply copy the OS over, or does it wipe it from your previous C drive too?
    How does it recognise that you are setting the SSD to be your new C:?
    Also, are there no problems that can occur from fucking around with your OS location for other pieces of software?

Finally: Any recommendations of makes and models of SSD, as well as the best retailers?
    I got a Samsung 120GB SSD for around one hundred pounds on Aria. Enough space for my OS and a few games, which is where the real benefit is. Loving it, and I highly recommend it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I'm running one OCZ Vertex 3 at 120 GB and one Crucial M4 at 256 GB, both have worked well. I had a cheaper OCZ Agility too at one point, but that has since crashed on me. It was probably an older generation and thus less stable. I also ran Windows XP on it for a while, which is less nice to SSDs. The Crucial M4 was reputable one of the most stable drives available at the time I bought it, a year or two ago now.

But, seriously, I can't stress enough what a night-and-day type of difference it makes to have OS and games on a SSD! If you haven't tried it already and have a hundred quid or so to spend, this should be your next upgrade, no competition. No. Competition.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

http://superuser.com/questions/25267...tion-to-an-ssd

I like my Samsung 840 250GB. It's superseded now, by the 840 EVO which is better.

I have the Samsung 840 Evo (250GB). Very happy with it! It makes the frequent PS2 crashes a lot more bearable.

Network Hub
    I'm another fan of the Samsung. Not only is it pretty darn fast, it's also regarded as the most reliable SSD in its price bracket.

For extra geek points: Right before you reinstall Windows on an SSD, go in to your BIOS/UEFI settings and check your drive controller is in 'AHCI' mode rather than 'IDE'. This enables a few extra features. It's more difficult to do with an existing install, so you might as well take the opportunity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Another vote of confidence for Samsung 840 at 250 GB (also an older Corsair Force F2 at 120GB). Really easy software to use as well for migrating the partition to the new drive. The new EVO series which replaced the regular 840 seems amazing.

And do as Eleven says. You are not using SATAII and SSD to its full potential without enabling AHCI. And try to keep 10-20% of the drive empty - helps with both speed and longevity.

I'd point out that the Samsung software doesn't allow you to copy parts of you old installation. It's all or nothing - which is a pain if you have 300gb on a HDD but buy the 250gb SSD. I went for a clean install and feel quite happy with that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Careful about just copying Windows.

Win 7 has a system that makes much, much better use of SSD drives as the host drive for the OS but it only enables it at first install when it recognises it's installed on an SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Careful about just copying Windows.

Win 7 has a system that makes much, much better use of SSD drives as the host drive for the OS but it only enables it at first install when it recognises it's installed on an SSD.
    Eleven's post shows how to enable that afterwards.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    the current samsungs (840 + 840 pro) are pretty much the uncontested kings for speed, reliability and price. kinda amazing how they just took the market over last gen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm.. thought I should give it a go on my OS/work files SSD, since I have been playing PS2 for over a year now (apparently), so it's pretty much a permanent fixture. Turns out it was already installed on the SSD.

Bloody hell, triple load screens must be awful for HD users...