Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I will have a crack at a vector version when I get a chance. Do you want the planet background texture for that, sketch? Still the one element that cannot be translated to vector (though it would be easy enough to stick the raster texture on afterwards?). Let me know what you need anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Feel free to throw in the texture and then I can create a flat layer of the same basic colour anyway - as long as it's included in the file I'm sure it'll be fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    The easiest way to create a vector from the raster would be to run it through Illustrator's "Trace" function. You need to play about with the settings to get the best output, but it can be done with a high amount of fidelity to the original.

I've done it before when working on vector versions of WIP logos, and would be happy to do it again if it would actually be useful?

Edit: What I created for the website was a 2 minute knock-up. I just haven't got around to re-doing it. There is clear mis alingment that needs sorting.

I've found that the best 'skew' for the text is 10 degree angle rather than fake-italics (the font doesn't have an italics version).
    Last edited by Cooper; 30-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sure, give it a go. If you think enough detail can be preserved then that would be much more straightforward. Having no experience with Illustrator I kind of assume everything needs to be plotted using the pen tool.

Cheers for the text info.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

I've found that the best 'skew' for the text is 10 degree angle rather than fake-italics (the font doesn't have an italics version).
    Yep, this is exactly what I meant.

The road map says they will be using the SOE "Player Studio" for outfit decals.
    Linkie
    https://player-studio.soe.com/how-to-submit

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Given the less than user friendly instructions I'm wondering if that's actually a covert recruitment test: anyone that submits a compliant decal gets offered a job as a graphic designer at SoE. I'm hoping their jargon about UV and alpha channels means something to our own graphic wizards?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lol, pretty sure that's referring to 3D models. Decals shouldn't need any of that techy nonsense speak words. Saw that on the roadmap the other day but didn't think to link it here, I'm actually really pleased that they are doing it this way, allows for way more interesting/different logos and enforces some level of quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Given the less than user friendly instructions I'm wondering if that's actually a covert recruitment test: anyone that submits a compliant decal gets offered a job as a graphic designer at SoE. I'm hoping their jargon about UV and alpha channels means something to our own graphic wizards?
    UV is essentially the mapping of a 3D model on a 2D plane for use in texturing, so its basically unwrapping a 3D shape onto a plane. So the unwrapping of the earth would produce a UV that looks like a traditional atlas.

Alpha channel is used in transparency.

Both are indeed used in 3D modelling, so this wont be necessary. They might want us to supply a texture map with the logo in its right place, but this seems quite complex for the average user.

Im sure we can provide what they need when they give us the final details.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    UV is referring specifically to 3d models yeah, if which I know next to nothing. So no idea what it means. Alpha channel is the channel that contains transparency information, usually combined with the R,G and B channels for red,green and blue colour information respectively. Each if these are usually 8bits of data giving a 24 bit image if RGB or 32 if RGBA including the transparency data.

UV Mapping is texture mapping. Basically for each triangle on the model you specify what part of the texture file should be painted on. It's hard to do this properly and people who are proficient in that are sought after. I've done it as part of a course on 3d graphics (had to model and texture our own humanoid), but wasn't good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    UV Mapping is texture mapping. Basically for each triangle on the model you specify what part of the texture file should be painted on. It's hard to do this properly and people who are proficient in that are sought after. I've done it as part of a course on 3d graphics (had to model and texture our own humanoid), but wasn't good at it.
    Yeah, I did a fair bit of this during Uni, and actually really enjoyed it. Modelling and texturing is something I find quite interesting, and its kind of like sculpting or building in clay or lego... building something from primative shapes. It can be a chore to UV map something properly, but often you can unwrap the model into more or less flat panels that refer to segments of the model.

I dont imagine they would ask us all to submit an entire character model with decal texture, but they might want us to supply it in a texture format. Who knows. We shall see.

Texture format is 24 bit TGA with no Alpha, which is easy enough.

UV mapping is less and less of a chore nowadays, mainly because people have always known it was a chore, so have thrown processing power at it. A high-end 3D package will have a lot of tools to try and make this as painless as possible.

If you are having difficulty understanding UVs, think of a map of the world - it's a 2D projection (the map) of a 3D object (the Earth). UVs do exactly the same thing for any particular 3D object (and for more complicated shapes can look very weird, or be broken up into different areas within the same image).

It's also worth pointing out that badly laid out UVs really hurt the final texture - in much the same way that a 2D projection of the Earth as a map badly distorts parts of countries.

Anyway - with just a logo decal we needn't worry about anything other than 24 bit TGA with no Alpha. No modelling required.

Although a Giraffe logo hood ornament might be pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    So the unwrapping of the earth would produce a UV that looks like a traditional atlas.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post

If you are having difficulty understanding UVs, think of a map of the world - it's a 2D projection (the map) of a 3D object (the Earth).
    Exactly what I was referring to :P.

Ehhh I missed that bit in your post...

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    If people get stuck on this, it's my job so I can help :3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    SVG version (without planet texture):
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/Roc...otgun_Logo.svg

(BTW I <3 SVG. It's the same filesize as the 128px version of the logo in optimised PNG but can easily be scaled up to 1000px & above and retain smooth outlines.)
    Last edited by Cooper; 01-06-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    SVG version (without planet texture):
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/Roc...otgun_Logo.svg

(BTW I <3 SVG. It's the same filesize as the 128px version of the logo in optimised PNG but can easily be scaled up to 1000px & above and retain smooth outlines.)
    Cool, Ill add this to the OP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That looks awesome, the detail is all there and it should resize way crisper. Really impressed. Could possibly reduce the number of files you need to link to as well?
    Last edited by Rizlar; 01-06-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Ill leave the variety for now, because having several formats doesnt really hurt at all. The fixed sizes are easy for anybody to use, and the vector is more for out own use and possibly in game use.