Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

OMGWTF System Shock 2 on Steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238210/

If you call yourself a PC gamer, you must get it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    and it didn't have to go through Greenlight - what are the odds eh? :)

What version is it tho - SS2 is a moody fucker of a game to get working on a modern PC to say the least?

Network Hub
    I think it's the same on GOG, which is updated to run on modern systems and even supports modern resolutions and all that

Network Hub
    Yes it's the same as the GOG version, so it works on modern systems and so on. I bought it from Steam as it was cheaper and I'm apparently too impatient for a sale on GOG, the one bit of DRM won't put me off.

Remember that there are lots of mods worth looking at; some fix annoyances with the game and others go a bit further, a good guide is given here:

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shoc...ndations/page1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Higher textures help too AFAIK. Not sure about the other mods though. Not played the GOG version either. But the game is quite interesting. It's Dues Ex (the original) the prequel really. :P

PS, from the Steam page:
    PC Game Of the Year - USA Today (1999)
    Best Action Game & Game of the Year - CNET (1999)
    Game of the Year - Game Revolution (1999)
    Game of the Year - Computer Games Online (1999)
    RPG Game of the Year - PC Gamer (1999)
    Game of the Year - Evil Avatar (1999)
    Game of the Year - Intelligamer (1999)
    RPG of the Year - Gamespy (1999)
    RPG of the Year - Games Domain (1999)
    Adventure Game of the Year - Gone Gold (1999)
    Game of the Year - Glide Underground (1999)
    Single Player Game of the Year - PC Accelerator (1999)
    Best Genre Bender - Gamespy (1999)
    5th Best Game of All Time - PC Gamer (1999)
    From back when those reviews meant something. Lol.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/238210/

If you call yourself a PC gamer, you must get it!
    If you call yourself a PC gamer, you obviously got it the minute it was released on GOG. :)

In all seriousness, this is great. A few months ago it seemed like SS2 would never be released on any digital distribution platform and now it can be found on the two largest ones.

Now if only we could finally have Grim Fandango.

Edit: To anyone who just bought the game now I strongly recommend looking at the System Shock 2 Patches thread on the GOG forums. It lists all the important mods needed to enhance your playing experience.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 11-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I've no idea why one would buy this on Steam when it's available on GOG, but it's probably not worth having that conversation for the umpteenth time.

That said, I don't own it on either, and haven't ever played it. Lamentably, like several other "classics," I was simply unaware of it at the time. When it finally came to GOG I almost reflexively purchased it simply on the basis of its reputation, but then I remembered how shaky the correlation between "widely loved game" and "game I love" really is and stopped myself. To be honest, having no nostalgia factor, it looks like it would be rather difficult to play at this point based on the screenshots.

I wonder, can anyone make a convincing argument for playing SS2 in 2013 without an appeal to widespread popular and critical acclaim or use of the word "classic?"

This. I'm sad I missed out on it at the time but looking at the screenshots I don't think I could stand it these days, however great the ideas and gameplay were (or are). From where I'm standing, the endless river of PC gaming has flowed on. Very happy for all those who have been hankering to get hold of it and play it again of course.

Network Hub
    I never played it when it released, but played it for the first time last year.
    When patched and modded, the game aged really well. The UI is a bit clunky, but you get used to it (it's not bad, it just follows a different logic than other more recent games, after a while it gets better), the graphics are not uncomfortable to look at, and the athmosphere and ambiance is still amazing.

It's not hard to understand (there's an extensive and well-done tutorial), it's not hard to get immersed in the game, and it really is a wonderful piece of game and level design.

It's a sequel of the first I think, but not having played it until after I played the second it didn't cause me any problems. Some logs mention events that happened in the first one but it doesn't feel like you missed the first part of the scenario.

I really recommend everyone to play it. It is a defining game of the RPG genre, and it sits very close to Deus Ex in my heart.

Install the SHTUP and Rebirth mods, and the game looks pretty good these days... nothing astounding, but easily playable. If graphics are the only obstacle to playing the game, that obstacle has now been removed. The game lives up to the other great immersive sims of yesteryear, and those from the recent resurgence of them.

Or... realise that graphics do not maketh the game, and that the 'gameplay' is still largely as good as it was when the game released. And that was something special at the time. It might not be as revolutionary as it was then, and the interface will probably feel a little clunky... but the atmosphere, the choice (and consequence), the feeling of player agency, the immersion, are all still there.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I've no idea why one would buy this on Steam when it's available on GOG, but it's probably not worth having that conversation for the umpteenth time.
    It is cheaper, with the current -30% off (will be equal when that runs out, depending on exchange rates). Also, GoG only ever give prices in $. Also, Steam community features, screenshots, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Steam community features, screenshots, etc.
    ? etc?

you can add the game to steam and use steam overlay to take screenshot and send them to steam severs, talk to friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    ? etc?

you can add the game to steam and use steam overlay to take screenshot and send them to steam severs, talk to friends.
    If the Steam overlay is compatible with the GoG version and the shortcut (when it first hit GoG there were a couple issues with it and Steam overlay). Also, they won't be SystemShock2 Screenshots, they'll be associated with SystemShock2.exe or whatever the shortcut you add is.

Etc. would be achievements, news, community guides and the hub, seeing which friends also own it, things like that. They're small things, but they can add up.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

If the Steam overlay is compatible with the GoG version and the shortcut (when it first hit GoG there were a couple issues with it and Steam overlay). Also, they won't be SystemShock2 Screenshots, they'll be associated with SystemShock2.exe or whatever the shortcut you add is.
    I don't understand.

I added anachronox to my steam, it says anachronox in my steam library. Screenshots work the same way as they do with any steam game out there
    Etc. would be achievements,
    SS2 has achievements on steam???
    news, community guides and the hub, seeing which friends also own it, things like that. They're small things, but they can add up.
    ah. I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I don't understand.

I added anachronox to my steam, it says anachronox in my steam library. Screenshots work the same way as they do with any steam game out there
    It says 'Anachronox', yes. But it's not that same 'Anachronox' as it would be if you'd bought the game on Steam... it's 'non-Steam Game Anachronox', as opposed to 'Steam Game Anachronox'. Screenshots work, yeah... but they're not going to be associated with Anachronox in the Anachronox Steam Community hubs and the like.

It says 'Anachronox', yes. But it's not that same 'Anachronox' as it would be if you'd bought the game on Steam... it's 'non-Steam Game Anachronox', as opposed to 'Steam Game Anachronox'. Screenshots work, yeah... but they're not going to be associated with Anachronox in the Anachronox Steam Community hubs and the like.
    yeah. the hub wouldn't work. but screenshots do work.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I wonder, can anyone make a convincing argument for playing SS2 in 2013 without an appeal to widespread popular and critical acclaim or use of the word "classic?"
    It's the best FPS/RPG hybrid ever made. It's also the best horror game ever made. System Shock 2's graphics haven't aged well (and honestly, it didn't look all that good in 1998 either), but it somewhat makes up for it with its excellent art direction. And its sound design is still unrivaled to this day. The mechanical noises of the ship, the moaning of the creatures, the voice-acting, the soundtrack, it's simply incredible. Atmosphere is something that so many games, especially survival-horror titles, get wrong, but SS2 is one of the rare examples that truly succeeds in creating a desperate and chilling environment.

The game's not without its flaws of course. The skills aren't balanced all that well (though there is a mod which rectifies this somewhat) and the level design suffers a bit near the end. Still, it's such a unique and immersive experience that you can easily look past its faults. In that regard I'd say it's similar to other forum favourites such as Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines or any Obsidian title: a brilliant core hidden behind a somewhat rough exterior.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd say it simply depends on how much graphics will affect your ability to get immersed in it. If you're the kind of person who gets sucked into the game and forgets about the ropey graphics then I'd imagine it'd hold up fine these days.

I haven't played it for years, but it was far enough along the FPS developmental arc that it should essentially control ok. (unlike something like SS1 or Ultima underworld which have very unintuitive interfaces for modern gamers).
    It's very close to Deus Ex 1 or Thief 1/2 in terms of graphics / controls / atmosphere etc.. (as far as i remember).

I can't imagine it would be BAD even now, but you might find that other games have incorporated many of it's elements in the meantime. (FPS with RPG elements, Hacking, Weapon upgrades, stealth, audio logs, etc...).

Despite what people say, it's not actually that far from the Bioshock tree - though much less action oriented and with a different setting.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    To anyone who just bought the game now I strongly recommend looking at the System Shock 2 Patches thread on the GOG forums. It lists all the important mods needed to enhance your playing experience.
    And this is what it can look like: http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg

I'm one that's never played it. I did own it back in the day (came with theme park world and X2 (i think)), but lent it to a mate and never got it back. Picked it up on Steam as soon as I saw these pics on Reddit.

Banned
    That actually doesn't look too bad.

I bought this on steam, I will get around to playing it soon.

My question is, how frightening is this game in 2013? I've often seen this game listed as one of the scariest games of all time.