Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    System Shock 2's graphics haven't aged well (and honestly, it didn't look all that good in 1998 either), but it somewhat makes up for it with its excellent art direction. And its sound design is still unrivaled to this day. The mechanical noises of the ship, the moaning of the creatures, the voice-acting, the soundtrack, it's simply incredible. Atmosphere is something that so many games, especially survival-horror titles, get wrong, but SS2 is one of the rare examples that truly succeeds in creating a desperate and chilling environment.
    Exactly. Graphical patching (except for the enemy models which is slightly better) really doesn't change this either. It makes them sharper but that doesn't change the fact that the textures are very flat and were never detailed to begin with. Despite that, SS2 is one of the greatest games ever made IMO, and it comes down to atmosphere and pacing. It's perfect. You never quite feel safe but you still get time to explore and you're not fatigued by constant combat. Also I totally agree on the sound, particularly the audio logs - it's the only game that really managed to get it right with appropriate background sounds as opposed to "Hey, this is an audio log, I'm just in a sound booth..." or "Here's an audio log from 5 minutes ago where I expose some of the story in a totally unnecessary way."
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by w00tasaurus View Post
    I bought this on steam, I will get around to playing it soon.

My question is, how frightening is this game in 2013? I've often seen this game listed as one of the scariest games of all time.
    I played it a couple of years ago and it was still creepy as hell

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    It's still scary, because it's the atmosphere and sense of vulnerability, threat, and general horror that makes it genuinely scary, not just startling you with scripted jump scares. Some of the audio logs are genuinely chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    And this is what it can look like: http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg

I'm one that's never played it. I did own it back in the day (came with theme park world and X2 (i think)), but lent it to a mate and never got it back. Picked it up on Steam as soon as I saw these pics on Reddit.
    Wow, that looks REALLY good.

Makes me want to buy it right now and mod the hell out of it... I might just do it today!
    Last edited by UnderwaterCacty; 13-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.

One thing I like with olde game engines is without shaders and screen effects eating your GPU, you're free to crank up anti-aliasing, or downsample from a ridiculously high resolution (like 3840 x 2160) for practically flawless image quality.

Playing games like that on my modest rig, has me load up modern games with FXAA at my native 1680x1050, only to stand aghast at the blurred soup-o-vision.
    Last edited by Memph; 13-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Obscure Node
    I am ashamed to say so but I've never gotten around to trying System Shock out. This seems like a good time to do so though.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    And this is what it can look like: http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg

I'm one that's never played it. I did own it back in the day (came with theme park world and X2 (i think)), but lent it to a mate and never got it back. Picked it up on Steam as soon as I saw these pics on Reddit.
    Wait, is that what it looks like just with the patches from the linked thread, or is there some other graphical trickery going on? Because, seriously, that looks fantastic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Wait, is that what it looks like just with the patches from the linked thread, or is there some other graphical trickery going on? Because, seriously, that looks fantastic.
    That's legit from the mods posted on the linked image page, there's a number of them in use there, as well as some cfg tweaks.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

I've been massively into the System Shock scene since the year 2000 and even released a fan mission (singleplayer mod) for SS2 back in the day. The shock scene isn't a huge one, but there is a few of us still around.

If your only going to add one mod to SS2 then SHTUP (System Shock Texture Upgrade Project) is the one to add as it makes a HUGE difference to the game visually.

And if your into singleplayer mods then there is quite a few to choose from (ie Ponterbee Station, Blayde's Return to The UNN etc).

Your best bet would be to head over to http://www.systemshock.org and you'll be able to find everything you need there.

Of note: Apparently the steam version of SS2 is royally screwed up due to some awful patching work by the "Tech Ninja's" over at Night Dive. So you may need to fix up your SS2 install once you download it otherwise you may run into some problems if you attempt to add any mods to the game. The GOG version runs perfectly fine.
    Last edited by icemann; 14-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Of note: Apparently the steam version of SS2 is royally screwed up due to some awful patching work by the "Tech Ninja's" over at Night Dive. So you may need to fix up your SS2 install once you download it otherwise you may run into some problems if you attempt to add any mods to the game. The GOG version runs perfectly fine.
    Well that makes me feel better about having bought it on GOG - at full price - about a day before it appeared on Steam.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    That's legit from the mods posted on the linked image page, there's a number of them in use there, as well as some cfg tweaks.
    Wow, I'm not sure how I missed that. For some reason my brain edited out everything in that side bar on the webpage.

Well, either way, I'll certainly pick this up once I've cleared my backlog, though probably not on Steam. I haven't used GOG, but it seems to be a better bet for titles that might have compatibility issues with newer systems.

According to rumors over on TTLG.com (forum home to shock and thief fans for the most part) the Night Dive GOG/Steam release contains the newDark exe file released for free publicly back in September last year. Which if true means that it should work on whatever new-ish Windows you choose to install it on. So you shouldn't have any problems running it on Windows 7 or 8 for example.

If not a quick google search should bring up a download for it somewhere.

Any recommendations for which difficulty to play on for a first-timer? Although it's my first time, I am a person who wants difficulty to be as high as possible in games without just becoming tedious. I can't recall the last shooter that I didn't play on hardest/extreme/insane difficulty.

Play it on Hard and DON'T go OSA on your first play through. Go marines or Navy and you'll be fine. OSA is better once you've played through the game atleast once. Normal difficulty is moderately difficult as is be of note.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    If the Steam overlay is compatible with the GoG version and the shortcut (when it first hit GoG there were a couple issues with it and Steam overlay). Also, they won't be SystemShock2 Screenshots, they'll be associated with SystemShock2.exe or whatever the shortcut you add is.

Etc. would be achievements, news, community guides and the hub, seeing which friends also own it, things like that. They're small things, but they can add up.
    I guess it depends on what you want. The soundtrack, artwork and interview Ken Levine made the GOG version much more enticing to me.