Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Videogame piracy

Where are all the pirate games? AFAIK there are only Risen 2 (which had terrible reviews), Pirates Of the Caribbean (no relation to the films, had terrible reviews) and Sid Meier's Pirates! (good reviews, but at first glance seems to be more a collection of minigames than anything else). Are there any great pirate games that I simply haven't heard of?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    They've been held back by the navy's clever new Double Reinforced Merchantmen. It won't last though, they'll soon figure out a way around it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Sadly, the innovators of the field are closing down too.
    The truth is that the pirate fad is simply over. The new Assassin's Creed is contrary to the trend but after that the genre will likely go where it was before Pirates of the Caribbean.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Sid Meier's Pirates! (good reviews, but at first glance seems to be more a collection of minigames than anything else)
    Is this a joke post?

Edit: Oh, the remake. Yeah, maybe.

I have been thinking this myself recently, having just played AC3 (in which the ship missions were a highlight) and currently playing recent Total Wars (Napoleon and Shogun 2, in which the naval combat ranges from an interesting distraction (nap) to a painful chore (shogun)). I'd love to see ship/fleet simulator, with a bit of depth, open oceans, choices etc... Kinda like a space sim (IWAR2 or X), but set on water. And with boats. Wouldn't have to be Piracy centred, Privateering, or joining a local navy, or becoming a merchant etc. would also be good.

Sid Meiers Pirates! is still worth a play, even though it does, at times, feel like a collection of mini games. There are so many, and so many different things to do that you're bound to find something you'll enjoy doing in it.

Two Worlds 2 also had a Pirate themed expansion ("Pirates of the Flying Fortress"). Never picked it up myself, though I did put 25 or so hours into the base game. It's quite a nice aRPG, very combat focussed, interesting melee/magic/archery mechanics. Story was a bit guff, but it looks really quite good, the setting and the atmosphere are quite nice, and it has the charm of a Guy Ritchie Cockney villain... everyone is brusque, blunt, ugly, vulgar, but it still has a certain blackly humorous appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Sid Meier's Pirates! (good reviews, but at first glance seems to be more a collection of minigames than anything else).
    It is indeed a collection of minigames. Very repetitive, but fun for what it is. The top-level management aspect is surprisingly deep given how light all of the mini-games are, and ship combat is enjoyable if simple. Watch for mutiny, pay well, keep your fleet strong, and have fun. I really recommend it. If a career didn't take so much real-time, I would say it's a pirate rogue-like. Start a career, make a bunch of money by navigating a massive menu of choices the fulfillment of which involves relatively simple mechanics, end a career, compare to a high-score board and repeat. Different eras have different challenges based on how common piracy, how friendly various nations are, what nations are around, and how well defended merchant vessels are. In theory you could earn plenty of cash without every firing a canon ball just with the trading game so the higher difficulty levels involve a lot of trade, and very carefully timed raids that keep you on the right side of Johnny Law so you can continue trading without getting shut out of every port.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. It's fun! But simple.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I'd love to see ship/fleet simulator, with a bit of depth, open oceans, choices etc... Kinda like a space sim (IWAR2 or X), but set on water. And with boats. Wouldn't have to be Piracy centred, Privateering, or joining a local navy, or becoming a merchant etc. would also be good.
    -sigh- That would be beautiful. A Patrick O'Brian type game would be my first choice. Set in that era, you fly the flag of one of the various navies roaming the sea at the time (probably French or British, but Dutch or Spanish would work), take on missions hunting pirates or enemies, stop at ports to keep morale high, ferret out spies on the ship, manage the crew's skills and resources, sail the ship properly, and enjoy the slow, lumbering tactics of a naval battle. I'd be fine with most points along the arcade to simulation spectrum as long as there was enough depth to all of the subsystems.

I would also love a sail racing simulator of high quality, for that matter.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Pirates: Tides of Fortune on Facebook. :)

You could probably think of EVE as a kind of pirates in space.

If by "pirates" you mean "accountants", maybe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    There's Pirates of Black Cove:

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    anyone here played tropico 2? i have yet to try it.

I've played it a bit. I like how they've managed to make it very different to normal Tropico, while still being the same sort of game. It's interesting, quite unique, and the central system of balancing the opposing needs of your pirates with those of your prisoners is quite a challenge. Also the way that you're basically forced to take a risk any time you make money (you have to send ships out to do pirate-y things, and they might come back empty handed or with crewmen missing, even though just sending them out requires resources) makes for some tension.

It's worth a look. I'm not sure if I can wholeheartedly recommend it, though. A bit frustrating. I kind of wish they'd do it again, or some other spin on the concept, instead of retreading the same ground over and over.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    So I've accountered several people to death? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    EVE is accountants working with ruthless bloodthirsty criminals. You know, sort of like real-life corporations, only the hostile take-overs are just a bit more hostile in EVE.

I quite liked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates...8video_game%29 for all its flaws, but maybe that's just me

Real pirates have cloaking fields... You can't see them...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    There was also a Pirates of the Caribbean MMO released in 2005, the creation of which spawned the open source game engine, Panda3d.

I played the game for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. *shrug* It was a 2005 MMO. :P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Monkey Island would be the obvious one.

World of Warcraft also has (or at least used to have) a couple of heavily pirate-themed zones though it's hardly a game about pirates. Ditto Guild Wars 2.