Network Hub

Truck management type games?

Recently been playing some OTTD and got an urge to play some kind of truck transport management game. OTTD is great for trains, but road vehicles are not the focus. Are there any games of this kind out there? Not the one where you drive a truck, there's plenty of those, but the ones where you could manage a trucking company.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Freight Tycoon comes to mind, though I can't vouch for its quality.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Simutrans maybe? Seemed like OTTD with a worse interface when I tried it, but it does allow more complex roads.

In Euro Truck Sim 2 you both manage and drive!
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    In Euro Truck Sim 2 you both manage and drive!
    Indeed, why not have both! Although the management aspect is minimal compared to the driving. Gonna' start playing that again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Indeed, why not have both! Although the management aspect is minimal compared to the driving. Gonna' start playing that again soon.
    In theory I suppose it would be possible to just drive enough to make or borrow some money in ETS and then wait around in your favorite city and watch the money start rolling in. Doesn't seem like a very interesting way to play though.

But based on limited experience I'd warn you away from that "Freight Tycoon" game if it's the one I'm thinking of. I got it in one of those "100 Russian games for $20" packs GamersGate sometimes offers and tried it out hoping for something like Euro Truck Simulator without the trucking. It was very disappointing. Interface and graphics belonged in the 90s in a bad way. Possibly it would have got better given a chance but I just found myself too bored and frustrated to continue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    But based on limited experience I'd warn you away from that "Freight Tycoon" game if it's the one I'm thinking of. I got it in one of those "100 Russian games for $20" packs GamersGate sometimes offers and tried it out hoping for something like Euro Truck Simulator without the trucking. It was very disappointing. Interface and graphics belonged in the 90s in a bad way.
    Right - it's always a good idea to double check 1C games for that sort of thing. They publish some good games, but a lot of fluff as well.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Simutrans maybe? Seemed like OTTD with a worse interface when I tried it, but it does allow more complex roads.
    One of my favorite features of Simutrans is that all cargo has a specific destination, makes it a nice alternative to OTTD. I don't know why but I find it a hell of a lot harder to make a profit in Simutrans though.

I used to play a game in school called Cross Country Canada 2 in which you drove a truck across our wonderfully large country picking up and delivering shipments of commodities and hitchhikers. It was a great geography teaching tool, though it's been too long for me to speak to its merits from a management game standpoint.

EDIT: Sorry, re-read the first post and realized that this is one of those games wherein you drive a truck and don't manage a trucking company. Still a good'un though.

EDIT 2: I think I may have also played the original DOS game at some point, but at that time I was mostly using school computers to play the text-based Carmen Sandiego with Almanac in hand.
    Last edited by Splynter; 13-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

The Industry Giant series of games focused more on road traffic rather than rails, but they are a bit dated now and probably won't work on Win 7 anymore.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -