Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I'm outlevelling the game - and I'm skint!

I appear to be out-levelling the content at quite a pace. My 3rd attempt at the Mad Dragon was curtailed by a server crash and given the hour-long queues I realised I'd out-level the quest before I got in (and I duly did) - so no Dragon killing for me!

I'm also high enough level to do the dungeon/skirmish for an area I've not even visited yet - this cannot be right!?

The queues are also silly - an 60-80 mins queue for a dungeon isn't amusing - PvP seems to be 20mins, Skirmishes around 30-40 - this isn't really good enough.

I'm also concerned at the worthlessness of loot - so much of it is shit and yet you need to ID it to check (and ID scrolls are drops or Zen purchases only) - almost the entirely of the AH is filled with shit and you cannot sort it either. Everything I'm wearing is a drop from the world - no dungeon loot has been useful either!

So I'm outlevelling the game despite not doing that many 'Dailys' which would only make that worse - but that means I'm making little AD and as I can't sell anything I'm not earning AD at the sort of rate I'd need to, to earn ANYTHING with it.

Cash isn't an issue - I had 10G by the time my rental horses ran out - spent 5G on a horse and 2G on a 2nd companion and I have 8G again already - but I've only gathered 56K AD in that time (and all I've spent is a few K ripping-out nice Level 2/3 enchants).

Bottom-line - I'm not convinced there's an economy in this game which makes it possible to progress - I have a feeling I'm barrelling down a tube and the end of that tube is a sign which says "you're screwed - pay cash or go nowhere" - I also think that in 10 levels I'll be so far ahead of the game that I can use 'Press Tab and WIN"

Still, it's a fun tube to barrel-down for the most part!

Well, if you just do the story quests and ignore everything else you'll probably be around the right level. I personally find the foundry stuff and the odd skirmish to be more interesting than the story and just get around to the story when I get to it even if I am 10 levels too high and it's easy mode. Foundry stuff will scale to your level so you can always do that for a challenge.

There definitely is too much content for the XP you need to level but I consider that a very good thing.

Also, you've got to remember that diamonds are the real currency in this game. Gold is easy to come by but of limited use. Don't waste your diamonds on stuff you don't really need/want.
    Last edited by iridescence; 12-05-2013 at 03:16 AM.

The main thing to use gold for is to allways have all the kits with you so you can do all the skill-checks and hopefully get the occasional arcane shard or crystal to be sold on the AH.
    Avid player of SMITE.
    Check the thread if you look for someone to play with.
    And in case you do not yet play but want to give it a shot (beeing free and all that) i would be gracious if you would consider my referal link.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    ID scrolls are drops or Zen purchases only
    You can get ID scrolls, for AD from the astral diamond market, who is beside Rhix but you can get them from the menu.

I do dislike the fact that you can't play lower level dungeons from the queue, I think you can get 5 people and go there, but haven't tested it. Its almost as if you have to stop playing to do dungeons. Its the same with skirmishes too, if you can be boosted up for PvP, you can be boosted down for skirmishes and dungeons!

I am wearing all drops, and most of them from a while ago. I duo with my mate, so loot is shared and I mostly sell the trash I get. I have a huge amount of ok items on the AH for around 50 ad, but they aren't shifting, because they are not anyway better than the easy to get drops in an area, run around for a 5 min and you have lots of drops.
    Last edited by Kiril; 12-05-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Activated Node
    I've almost exclusively been doing the story quests and I'm generally on or just behind the level I should be. I've started having to do Foundry quests between areas to make sure I don't end up too far behind. I'm 46 now and the boss fights in the solo dungeons are starting to get tricky with my companion getting splatted fairly quickly however much healing I throw at him. Guess I'll be exploiting the stupid boss mechanics/AI and drag bosses out of their room to avoid fighting adds at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The queueing system is almost beyond useless now - I'm waiting well over an hour for a dungeon whilst every chat channel is full of people LFG!? I don't know if they're too dumb to hit "K" so the queues are empty of if there's a limit on the number of instances which is causing the queue to be enormous!?

You can enter any instance yourself - I've tried that - I'd assume your party can too but the quest attached to the instance 'disappears' when you pass the upper level for the dungeon - so no reward from that.

Getting back to what I said about loot - we had one of those people who roll need on everything in the dungeon last night. He 'won' Cleric and Wizard items from people in that class and then complained when he died (I've honed my "not healing certain people" skills quite well) - it was quite funny watching everyone walk past his corpse (it wasn't a long walk so we left him) but it prompted me to look at the AH for the item I could have used and - of course - there were more than 400 (the item limit) in there at prices starting well under 10AD Buyout...

The idea of those items being BoE has basically made the dungeons largely irrelevant other than for XP (not needed - plenty of quests outside them) and the challenge - and the AH is a broken mess of a thing filled with far-too-much junk and the search doesn't work properly.

My Cleric is 17 and using a Level 10 Symbol - I have a level 18 'white' quality one which is twice-as-good - a huge leap forward - but I cannot track-down one inbetween those 2 - which is outright odd and quite annoying (the AH search is part of the problem but all the other classes I've tried were showered in regular weapon upgrades).

As for 'kits' - my own observations of what's in those boxes suggests it's only worth using the 'kits' during the Professions hour - when there's a higher chance of bits/blues - otherwise they're not worth the money as what you get, for the most part, is crap (often buyable crap).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Another point I'd like to bring into this - Tradeskills.

I'm tired of playing games where tradeskills are just a means of spending (in-game) money to get the odd endgame item but this isn't really that much different.

My Cleric is currently Level 17 and started Mailworking the moment she could - but to make items which are decent for my current level (or the next 3-4) I need to get about Level 8 in Mailworking and that's just not remotely feasible.

To do that would take 100s of hours - hell you need to make 3 extra workers (18 hours each) and then fuse them into a higher-level worker (another 18 hours) alone - let along the 24-36 hours of work per level just to move along!

So I think we can safely say that this is another game where you level tradeskills purely to get endgame items because it's just not feasible to make items which are useful as you're levelling (unless you play very very infrequently perhaps).

and you'd have to be bonkers to spend 'real' money just to get a few levelling items!?!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just to add to this, looking ahead it does seem tradeskills become dependant on hard-to-get (read 'need real money) items - as well as STAGGERING amounts of time (or AD)

Shears - required by Tailors and Leatherworkers - basic ones are in the shop but the Level 2 ones are NOT sold and NOT creatable, they only appear in the blues Professions boxes you can either buy with Zen or Celestial Coins (5 of those latter) - and you need FOUR of those to get the next level shears and 4 of THOSE to get the next ones (in other words - 16 lucky drops!?)

Then there's the time element for creating profession workers (who can also appear in boxes I believe?) - it's 18h per worker and then 18h to fuse 4 into the next level - there are 5 levels of worker which means 4 lots of upgrades - so a Level 5 worker is 4 Level 4's which is 16 Level 3's which is 64 Level 2's which is 256 Level 1 workers.

You get a worker 'for free' but ou have to make/find 255 (at 18h a time) and then fuse the 4s into the next level (another 18h) - which means to make a top level work will take about 8 MONTHS of real time - which is just hilariously stupid isn't it?

You can speed that with AD but it's a LOT of AD - 72K per 18h job - 18 MILLION AD for the whole job (at 24K AD at day that's two YEARS worth!!)

I have to be reading this wrong don't I - even if you bought that AD at the games 'internal rate' that's $750 - over $1000 at the present trade rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by trjp; 14-05-2013 at 08:49 PM.

To be fair, there has to be some incentive in F2P games to push players to pay for stuff, otherwise the game dies. I have no idea how the development costs of Neverwinter measure up to for example GW2, but just for the sake of the argument assuming they're somewhat similar, Neverwinter would have to make up for those €55 per player that GW2 charges. If all you could buy for ZEN were novelty items and minor buffs, then only a small minority would buy them. For me, the judges are still out on whether Neverwinter can be enjoyed without paying, and for some people it surely will. I tend to get a bit competitive and want the most out of the game when I play it. Right now I'd rather see a stable game, no massive exploits like the GF one (how hard is it to do a sanity check out damage output?), stable servers, fixing annoying bugs like cleric threat etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I agree that there are more game-breaking issues than the cash aspect - and I reckon a lot of the cash items will drop in price once the 'must have at any cost' crowd have been and gone

Did that happen with STO tho - I don't really think it did?