Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Steam down for anyone else?

When I try to start a game (or just the client, even) it declares it needs to update, downloads a file, then declares it can't connect to the Steam network (where'd it get the update from?) and closes out. No offline mode option, by the way, but I'm no longer surprised by that. None of the usual fixes seem to resolve the issue. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any advice on a fix?
    Last edited by vinraith; 15-02-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I fixed it by making some space on my SSD. Wasn't enough room to download and apply the update.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seems already up here ( Europes/Spain).

Also scriblenauts is available. For anyone that want that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I fixed it by making some space on my SSD. Wasn't enough room to download and apply the update.
    I've got 123 GB free, so it can't be that!

Absent any better ideas I'm going to try reinstalling the client.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's a BIG update outstanding on Steam (if you're not been online last 1-2 days) - I suspect the servers are either overloaded or you lack space or permissions somewhere perhaps?

First time I've seen a progress bad for downloading a Steam update...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I've got 123 GB free, so it can't be that!

Absent any better ideas I'm going to try reinstalling the client.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...8#post33993258
    The American Times confound me, but it's probably this planned downtime.
    EDIT: Ups, 13 February. It's the update thing, my bad.
    Last edited by somini; 16-02-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    There's a BIG update outstanding on Steam (if you're not been online last 1-2 days) - I suspect the servers are either overloaded or you lack space or permissions somewhere perhaps?
    I wonder what they're updating that needs 100MB or so to be downloaded? I hope this isn't an indication of the client getting bloated, because accessing any of the web interfaces through the client is still absurdly slow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I wonder what they're updating that needs 100MB or so to be downloaded? I hope this isn't an indication of the client getting bloated, because accessing any of the web interfaces through the client is still absurdly slow.
    I've just had my second big-ish Steam update in 2 days and it does seem a big download for no obvious change of features.

Perhaps it's down to Steam for Linux - room for all those pocket-protectors and a much crappier our "command line or bust" friends demand? :)

I just got word from some Valve insiders that someone jokingly told Gaben that the large asteroid that passed by earth was a giant jelly donut. He used some giant valve ray to bring it to earth and crashed it into Valve Headquarters.

Death Toll stands at 4.4 million. $34 Trillion in property damage. Gaben was last seen with what remains of the asteroid, gowned in a wedding dress and speeding towards Las Vegas.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Perhaps it's down to Steam for Linux - room for all those pocket-protectors and a much crappier our "command line or bust" friends demand? :)
    Well why click "Play" when you can type "steam -p -appid=5691 -x -h -u" and see "Command unrecognised"? ;)

Reinstalling (which took a startlingly long time, incidentally) seems to have resolved this. Have I mentioned lately that I'm really not a fan of client-based digital distribution?

Network Hub
    For quite some time now Steam has downloaded an update every time time I launch it, whether manually or at boot. Usually only once a day though. The updates are always a different size so I figured that they were 'real' and I didn't need to bother looking into it. They range anywhere from 20MB to three or four times as large. Is this the new normal for Steam?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Sorry I got to this thread late, but you used to be able to solve that "won't connect" issue by just deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file from Steam's main folder and launching it again - it'd recreate the file and be able to connect. Unless that's one of the usual fixes you mentioned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

First time I've seen a progress bad for downloading a Steam update...
    Yep. I was momentarily panicking thinking some other software (IE virus) was downloading. Then noticed it did say "Steam".

Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    For quite some time now Steam has downloaded an update every time time I launch it, whether manually or at boot. Usually only once a day though. The updates are always a different size so I figured that they were 'real' and I didn't need to bother looking into it. They range anywhere from 20MB to three or four times as large. Is this the new normal for Steam?
    You should opt out of beta patches for steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    You should opt out of beta patches for steam.
    Wait, they're opt-out instead of opt-in? I was wondering why Steam told me "thank you for participating in beta" even though I have no memory of opting in.

I don't know, I remember opting in some time ago but after a few days it started downloading a new patch every time I logged in and opting out fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Wait, they're opt-out instead of opt-in? I was wondering why Steam told me "thank you for participating in beta" even though I have no memory of opting in.
    I had that, but definitely got the beta thing turned off. Steam has been acting weird the last couple of days, I got an email saying someone had tried to access my account from an unknown computer and I should change my password (looked official, there was no link).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    I don't know, I remember opting in some time ago but after a few days it started downloading a new patch every time I logged in and opting out fixed that.

Don't drink the water. They put something in it, to make you forget.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Pretty certain that I had to opt-in for Steam Beta.

It has been updating an awful lot recently, but I imagine that is down to the inclusion of Linux support. It will likely die down in a week or two, once everything is settled.

About the down time, I didn't experience any last night and I was playing a Steam game (although single player) up until about 10 and had Steam open until quite late without any signs of connection issues.