Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alienware teases big news for E3 to reveal on same day as next gen consoles

"next-gen consoles won't be the only hardware on display at E3"

This seems interesting considering this will be the first ever PC gaming related E3 conference I wonder what they'll reveal, probably something to do with the X51

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...ig-news-for-e3

We're just a few short weeks away from Microsoft and Sony battling for next-gen console mindshare at E3, but according to a "Save the Date" sent to the press by Alienware, PC gamers will also have something to look forward to. Alienware has scheduled a launch event for unspecified new products on the evening of June 10th the same day as Microsoft and Sony's scheduled press events.

There are also rumored shots of the M14x R3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    They'll probably reveal some sort of overpriced PC that could be built for $1000 less with off the shelf parts. Either that or an overpriced Steambox. No mystery here.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    They'll probably reveal some sort of overpriced PC that could be built for $1000 less with off the shelf parts. Either that or an overpriced Steambox. No mystery here.
    This. Remember when Razer teased an announcement that'd revolutionize the world pf PC gaming? Yeah

Actually their pricing is pretty decent/fair these days especially when they have them on sale or with coupons
    The only product from them I really don't like is the Aurora.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleFighter View Post
    Actually their pricing is pretty decent/fair these days especially when they have them on sale or with coupons
    Their cheapest desktop is $2700, an i7 with 8GB RAM, an 8950, and a 2TB HDD. My entire PC (keyboard, mouse, monitor, headphones, the lot) cost less than that, with similar specs except adding an SSD. They're not good value.

EDIT: The cheapest X51 retails for $1300 AUD and is effectively a laptop without a keyboard, trackpad, or a screen. I might as well just get a laptop.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Their cheapest desktop is $2700, an i7 with 8GB RAM, an 8950, and a 2TB HDD. My entire PC (keyboard, mouse, monitor, headphones, the lot) cost less than that, with similar specs except adding an SSD. They're not good value.

EDIT: The cheapest X51 retails for $1300 AUD and is effectively a laptop without a keyboard, trackpad, or a screen. I might as well just get a laptop.
    Australia? Figures just like every other shipped product to that country it will cost a crap ton more, you people pay like $100 for games, also the X51 doesn't use laptop parts
    Last edited by NoodleFighter; 12-05-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Australia? Figures just like every other shipped product to that country it will cost a crap ton more, you people pay like $100 for games, also the X51 doesn't use laptop parts
    Yeah, we also pay that much for digital games too ;). The base cost for off-the-shelf hardware is higher too though so even considering the cost of shipping, there's still an awful lot of money going into that which goes nowhere.

As for the X51 - I didn't say that it uses laptop parts, but the same sort of heat-performance tradeoff is still present. Little boxes have to make compromises.

Yeah, we also pay that much for digital games too ;). The base cost for off-the-shelf hardware is higher too though so even considering the cost of shipping, there's still an awful lot of money going into that which goes nowhere.

As for the X51 - I didn't say that it uses laptop parts, but the same sort of heat-performance tradeoff is still present. Little boxes have to make compromises.
    Well it's not really that bad some owners say it's quieter than their Xbox 360s and PS3s and cooler in some circumstances, also considering how small it is you could just put a laptop cooling pad under it. The ibuypower revolt, Digital Storm bolt, and Falcon northwest Tiki PC don't have to deal with the heat trade offs they come with the option of liquid cooling and can handle GTX 680s and Titans/GTX 690s along with overclocked i7s. They're all about the same size as the X51. I've seem some mini itx custom builds handle SLI/Crossfire perfectly fine. Hopefully whatever Alienware reveals is improved cooling for the X51, a price drop, and more customization options.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Dell/Alienware entered smartphone market for a very very brief period and then pulled out as if they were never there. Can hardly believe this firm being capable of bringing any great innovation.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Do they still have the horrendously embarrassing designs? I can't see them announcing anything mainstream, but even if they did I can't imagine many people would want to put something like that in their living room (or carry it in their pocket) where other people might actually see it.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Do they still have the horrendously embarrassing designs? I can't see them announcing anything mainstream, but even if they did I can't imagine many people would want to put something like that in their living room (or carry it in their pocket) where other people might actually see it.
    Their designs are just too extreme for you. Put on your internet shades, crumble Doritos in a bowl, pour Mtn Dew Kickstart over top and grab the most intense spoon you can find--then you might be ready.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    To be fair, Dell/Alienware machines are known for their hardware reliability, unless they are with design flaws to begin with, which would be resolved (quietly, said, my XPS 435 from the first few batches are known to have faultily designed motherboard. After it was expired after one year as expected, they agreed to replace mine with a newly designed one, without admitting the design to be faulty in the first place of course, insisting that it's just a faulty product out of a normal faulty rate). They have to, since all their products are covered with well kept warranty.

Over here, IBM was the only one with that kind of reliable warranty. What a shame IBM now totally abandoned PC businesses.

Gaming machines have to be stylist. I think currently Alienware models' art designs are less radical than they were back when Alienware was still independent.

Alienware's notebooks are not that impressive though. Users here generally commented that Alienware just threw in all hardware parts with great numbers, without technology to really reduce weight and improve cooling. 17" models are just too damn heavy to be mobile. While their desktops are good gaming machines, their notebooks ain't. Would be a disappointment if the new announcement turns out to be really just new notebook model.

I really want to know which gaming notebook is truly mobile with satisfactory cooling that you won't experience dropping FPS after several hours gameplay of games like Crysis, and battery will last for as least 6 hours with intensive computing.
    Last edited by squirrel; 12-05-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Really wish they wouldn't announce something alongside the new consoles. This will just perpetuate the myth that a PCs are much more expensive than a console, if you are look to game on it.

What a PC dedicated conference really needs to focus on is the games on offer from the machine, as well as side by side comparisons of their console counterparts running at half the frame rate and half the detail.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The only product from them I really don't like is the Aurora.
    The Aurora is their only real desktop system. The X51 is a SFF system with the tradeoffs and very high pricing that comes with the territory there (though the very high price may have more to do with the Alienware name than the form factor).

The basic version is $650, and features a Core i3-3220 and a Geforce GT 640. Plus 6 GB RAM (1 x 4 GB + 1 x 2 GB).
    You can build a system with a Core i5 and 8 GB RAM for around $600. There are various other advantages, but... you do lose that free copy of Acrobat Reader. :,(

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The Aurora is their only real desktop system. The X51 is a SFF system with the tradeoffs and very high pricing that comes with the territory there (though the very high price may have more to do with the Alienware name than the form factor).

The basic version is $650, and features a Core i3-3220 and a Geforce GT 640. Plus 6 GB RAM (1 x 4 GB + 1 x 2 GB).
    You can build a system with a Core i5 and 8 GB RAM for around $600. There are various other advantages, but... you do lose that free copy of Acrobat Reader. :,(
    Actually the basic model is no longer the GT 640 but the oem GTX 645 which puts it on the same level as the GTX 650 ti, the pricing isn't actually that high it is for the Aurora on the other hand considering an Aurora will cost you $200 more than a build using the same parts, but I guess it's $100 worth of labor/profit and another $100 for the overclocked CPUs and unlocked bios, but nowadays you can just use turbo boost on your CPU.

Actually the basic model is no longer the GT 640 but the oem GTX 645 which puts it on the same level as the GTX 650 ti, the pricing isn't actually that high it is for the Aurora on the other hand considering an Aurora will cost you $200 more than a build using the same parts, but I guess it's $100 worth of labor/profit and another $100 for the overclocked CPUs and unlocked bios, but nowadays you can just use turbo boost on your CPU.
    The basic version of the X51 features a GT 640, at least in the US. I just rechecked at http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The basic version of the X51 features a GT 640, at least in the US. I just rechecked at http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs
    Hmm I haven't rechecked this recently seems like they lowered the base model down to $650 but had to use the GT 640 to do so, I checked the customization, you can get the GTX 645 for $50 extra which basically puts it back to the $700 model that existed as the basic before.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Really wish they wouldn't announce something alongside the new consoles. This will just perpetuate the myth that a PCs are much more expensive than a console, if you are look to game on it.

What a PC dedicated conference really needs to focus on is the games on offer from the machine, as well as side by side comparisons of their console counterparts running at half the frame rate and half the detail.
    Would you care to debunk that myth for me? Because I did the math a while back and we lose pretty badly

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Actually, the long-run cost is arguable

Lifespan of the PS3: About 6-8 years it seems
    Cost of PS3 at release: Originally about 500 USD
    Price per year: About $72

Lifespan of XBOX 360: 7-9
    Cost: 400
    Price per year: 50
    Price of Live for 8 years: 400
    Price per year if you wanted multiplayer and the like: About $100

Lifespan of Wii: About 6 years
    Cost: 250
    Price per Year: 41.6

Keep in mind that all of these prices are assuming "Buy new, play the entire life cycle", but I suspect the rates remain relatively constant at "50-70 dollars per year" even if you buy the console after a price drop (because the life cycle is noticeably shorter).

Thus, a PC needs to have at least a price of 50 dollars per year for it to really compete. Considering that the video card alone will cost you around 100-200 bucks (this is assuming you want to play relatively new titles), that already puts it in the Wii-range of needing to last 6 years without upgrades/a new rig.

There are arguments that games are cheaper on the PC, but most of those involve buying titles a few months after release (which is true on all platforms) or heavy reliance on bundles (which potentially cost more in the long run because it is hard to say no to a bundle :p). And while I can't speak for XBOX or Wii, the PS3 comes with a metric crapton of free titles if you subscribe to PS+. I would posit that, assuming you only buy the games you really want to play and shop sales, PC games end up being cheaper.

And, obviously, if you are content with older titles/systems, both approaches are equally cheap.
    The best we can really argue is that if you squeeze out every penny when building a rig and re-use lots of parts you MIGHT break even with the PS3 (the 72 dollars a year thing). But when you realize that you paid for those parts at some point in the past, the cost goes up. Especially because people who know how to save money by building their own rig are also likely to upgrade said rig which increases the cost per year.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

But when you realize that you paid for those parts at some point in the past, the cost goes up. Especially because people who know how to save money by building their own rig are also likely to upgrade said rig which increases the cost per year.
    I don't know... I'm still running a CPU/Mobo/Ram from 2007. My newer GPU (2011) and SSD (2012) only add around $230 in hardware purchases since then. That's what... the price of 4 new $60 360 games? I think Skyrim is still the only game I've bought at that price. I'd say I've probably spent less than all of my 360 friends who have continued to buy accessories and pricier games for the last 5 - 6 years. (It also helps to use Steam sales and generally avoid release retail prices)

So, it may not be cheaper for everyone, but it at least can be.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 15-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Would you care to debunk that myth for me? Because I did the math a while back and we lose pretty badly

The best we can really argue is that if you squeeze out every penny when building a rig and re-use lots of parts you MIGHT break even with the PS3 (the 72 dollars a year thing). But when you realize that you paid for those parts at some point in the past, the cost goes up. Especially because people who know how to save money by building their own rig are also likely to upgrade said rig which increases the cost per year.
    You're being daft. You calculate based on a graphics card, but you don't even NEED a graphics card to compete with consoles.