Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

State of the game, all things bald and beautiful.

Thought it might be nice to have a thread to discuss how we feel the game is as it stands, what maps could do with tweaking, aspects of the game you particularly like or don't like and so forth.

I think my main complaint at the minute is we could do with a couple more maps. There's a reasonable amount as there is, but with Refinery barely seeing any use, and the amount of time we've sunk into the game, it can seem we've played them quite often! In a game like NS2, I think that's a lesser problem that other perhaps because of the way the game is played and knowing and using the map is half the fun. That said I certainly wouldn't complain if the developers, or the community were to cook up a few new maps to play in. Descent is excellent, for example

How do you think they could 'fix' Refinery? Personally I think it's a gorgeous map, Lava Falls is stunning, and I read on their press release, that they intended to be a hotly contended area, but that's anything but the case, almost nothing goes on in there. What would you like to see done?

steam: sketch

I agree, the small number of maps is the only problem I have with the game. Biodome (or whatever they've called it) is going to be in the next big update in the summer, but that's only one map unfortunately.

The biggest annoyance though, is that there's a ton of custom maps, but no servers are hosting them! I would say host them ourselves, but we rarely field enough players to be able to host our own games.

Activated Node
    If we put up a public server then it ought to fill up rather quickly though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, we have managed to fill servers in minutes anyway that started out empty!

I think Refinery is a cool map in principle, and I like the idea of lava falls as being this long corridor with a lot of pushing and shoving in it. I think the problem is that there are already two other ways of moving from the bottom to the top of the map, and aside from three res nodes (which admittedly is pretty generous), the other two directions are generally more valuable as they contain tech points. The first 5/10 minutes of any game is about grabbing them or at least locking them down so the other team cant have them. This basically makes lava falls a bit moot, because it seems to me that whoever ends up with the most tech points and ancillary nodes will have the resources to take lava falls with little opposition.

I think they ought to fix it so that lava falls leads straight into both the lower and upper tech points, with fewer squiggly corridors obscuring the spawns from the corridor that is lava falls which would encourage teams to try and hold it so they could easier run at the bases. That or just straight up make all of the bases link to lava falls and only lava falls so the two teams are constantly tripping on each other.
    Steam ID - Rammrool

Network Hub
    Refinery fails I think because noone likes going through Lava falls (ok .. well it doesnt really fail .. but lava falls is just wasted.. )

It's not really a place for skulk attacks.. phase gates don't really survive

Everyone's just happy to leave one side take it and then just kill the RTs when they move out

A couple of vents running across the ceiling might help with a few openings downwards .. made with something marines could shoot through (linking east/west)

Yesterday I had a beautiful write up about how I feel about Refinery, what makes it a great map in parts and what makes it sucky overall. Then my browser decided to go bonkers and all was lost!
    Well, most points have been covered anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by balmark View Post
    Refinery fails I think because noone likes going through Lava falls (ok .. well it doesnt really fail .. but lava falls is just wasted.. )

It's not really a place for skulk attacks.. phase gates don't really survive

Everyone's just happy to leave one side take it and then just kill the RTs when they move out

A couple of vents running across the ceiling might help with a few openings downwards .. made with something marines could shoot through (linking east/west)
    Actually, I like Lava Falls as a Skulk. The ceiling provides alot of cover and it's so high up, that it is difficult for marines to land shots. Dropping down from way up there onto an unsuspecting marine is good fun. Also these trenches are quite handy to reach the tower in the middle. Once there, just dance around the tower, take a bite, disappear to the higher floor and come back for more from the other side

It's odd, but for some reason I don't feel like there's too few maps. Most of them are so complex, I still haven't learned all the nooks and crannies by heart. As to variety: maybe I'm just focusing so much on the gameplay, I doesn't make all that much of a difference how visually stimulating the environments are. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward alot to biodome. Some enhanced vegetation would certainly add to the game's appearance.

To open yet another bottle: I think what this game needs to make games last longer and make them more balanced as well as to make it easier for new players to enjoy the game, is some sort of handycap for the weaker team. Games jsut too easily go one direction once one team gained the slightest momentum. Comebacks are seldom and mid-game is too short.
    Also, I don't like the present implementation of the shotty. It is the only viable weapon atm and much too versatile. I'd say, make it much less effective against buildings, to make the gl and ft more important.

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    To open yet another bottle: I think what this game needs to make games last longer and make them more balanced as well as to make it easier for new players to enjoy the game, is some sort of handycap for the weaker team. Games jsut too easily go one direction once one team gained the slightest momentum. Comebacks are seldom and mid-game is too short.
    Also, I don't like the present implementation of the shotty. It is the only viable weapon atm and much too versatile. I'd say, make it much less effective against buildings, to make the gl and ft more important.

I think all of the marine guns aside from the rifle need a second pass. They just dont get used. The shotgun is the only alternative, and then it requires a little more twitch than most are used to.
    Steam ID - Rammrool

In case someone is interested: here's a link to the devs blog, covering the latest news about how Biodome is coming along, as well as some bits and pieces about the upcoming balance changes and possible weapon additions.

I'm really looking forward to the big patch (whenever it will roll out). Tbh, NS2 is starting to feel a little stale atm, that's why I see myself playing mods more regularly lately (Xenocombat has huge portential) or something different altogether (Defense Grid is a mean drug

With player peaks dropping down below 800, I feel like I'm not the only one who yearns for some fresh content and a few balance fixes. I'm very curious as to who the intended changes from Sewlek's balance mod will play out. Is there anyone here who plays that mod by any chance and who could sum it all up? Can't be bothered reading through 100s of comments on the official forums...

Wohoo! With all the talk about performance killing the playerbase of this game, this build 249 beta might be of interest. 40+fps boost late game apparently.
    Everyone can give it a go, by going to steam library, selecting properties and going for the beta.

Network Hub
    Hopefully general stability will see the same improvements.

The low framerates is annoying. The application shutting down regularly is infuriating, especially as you lose all resources.

Network Hub
    I was playing it last night alright .. gameplay seems alot smoother.. ie fps didnt rocket down at specific points .. stayed ok for the most part ..

I died and went speccing a gorge on death healing someone.. and for some unknown reason, my fps dropped from 40 to 4 .. and stayed around 4-10 from then on :/

On a whole tho .. it seemed better n smoother

Yeah I found it a little smoother, especially in combat where I occasionally would get some stuttering, though nothing usually that major.
    Steam ID - Rammrool

Network Hub
    The only problem is now .. marines will get more kills than before .. so I think Marines are going to sway into the 60% wins for a little unless aliens get a little boost somewhere..

Would be kinda strange .. balance affected because of better performance

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Omigoshupdateitsanupdatemygameisupdatingonsteamomy god!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Omg! Except for the last one.

Activated Node
    So, did you guys play NS2 yesterday? Was it glorious? Anything new not in the beta?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No, it was 'other-game-thursday'. So we played Red Orchestra 2 : Rising Storm
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    OK, if we do these other game days, we need to establish what in advance! Or else people will miss out.
    steam: sketch

Network Hub
    I think we should give it a miss next week.

We're unlikely to have many playing NS2 on Sunday as it's this PS2 call to arms (even though PS2 sucks and everyone should clearly skip it for NS2), so playing another game on the Thursday means it'll be two full weeks between NS2 nights!