Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Network Hub
    This isn't a typical ns2 type of group where a patch comes out day before an event night and ns2 is actually played

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to join in to the call the arms on Sunday... probably not. So I'd be up for some NS2. About Thursday I'm not sure either. I guess I'll see what I feel like playing maybe NS2, maybe RS, maybe Mech Warrior Online...

So, what do you think of the new Docking everyone? It was received with a lot of whining. I haven't quite made up my mind about it. Maybe I like it better, maybe I don't...

I didn't particularly enjoy the last CTA that RPS did, so I probably won't join in the PS2 festivities. If you guys want to play PS2 then go right ahead, I'll probably play some NS2 though.

Neo-Docking is interesting; they've basically scooped out the entire top half of the map and rearranged it, with a few new bits thrown in. Also, removed Cafe as a tech point, so it's the second 4 tech map alongside Veil.

It seems the changes were made to stop marines stomping all over aliens in (the old) Stability Monitoring. Can't vouch for that because most games I play end up with Aliens stomping Marine face instead.

Haven't played enough to make a judgement on it yet though. However, I have noticed that my game is crashing more since the patch.

Activated Node
    Don't remember if you've talked about it already, but have you seen this list?
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/proposed-balance-changes/

Some rather extreme changes there... Some seem rather nice, other's might be a bit much. 1 CC jetpacks? Hm... No armor from armories?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Sounds interesting, and well, if there's anything wrong they can always patch it. Honestly a bit of a shake up wouldn't go amiss. I should be there tomorrow, feels like it's been a while since I engaged in the happy, insult-free atmosphere that comes with hanging out with you fools - er - people.
    steam: sketch

Network Hub
    Regen heals incombat goodie goodie
    The 'no res while dead' will make a big impact on me

Lots of nice changes in there I think
    Fades might be alot harder to play (stay alive) with now tho

The Fade will take quite a beating in this patch. No momentum from Shadow Step anymore, nooooooooooooo!!!

Overall, I'm looking forward to trying these out. They totally remodelled the alien economy and movement mechanics! Especially liking the changes for gl and ft. We will be seeing alot more of those after the patch.
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 16-06-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Was playing a little bit more on Docking yesterday, and I was scratching my head as to why the new Courtyard area was giving me deja vu.

It turns out it was reminding me of a similar-looking area in Quake 2, the first PC game I ever played. Major nostalgia trip!

Quote Originally Posted by njursten View Post
    Don't remember if you've talked about it already, but have you seen this list?
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/proposed-balance-changes/

Some rather extreme changes there... Some seem rather nice, other's might be a bit much. 1 CC jetpacks? Hm... No armor from armories?
    If that list of changes stays as is, then it will be utterly game-changing; a totally different experience. Very interested to see if it all makes it into the game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Very interested to see if it all makes it into the game.
    Same here, I like the idea .. but don't like the idea of forcing teamwork

It seems like a mechanic to force people to weld each other ..
    however .. welders no longer need to be researched .. and will also self weld when welding structures .. so might have enough 'self interest' for people to get one

Network Hub
    I can see some lovely new tactics .. shifts not requiring to evolve for echo .. and you can echo harvesters .. can stick a harvester next to your spawn RT and send it out each time so a frontline RT gets full health straight away and your base RT is save rebuilding

Watched a cpl of 'balance mod cup' matches .. Fade are going down fast .. typical marine start is arms lab + upgrades asap
    Saw one match where they're AC/WC2 and shotguns out before first fade turned up .. which was then shredded.. (this fade couldn't afford the upgrades!)

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Was playing a little bit more on Docking yesterday, and I was scratching my head as to why the new Courtyard area was giving me deja vu.

It turns out it was reminding me of a similar-looking area in Quake 2, the first PC game I ever played. Major nostalgia trip!
    I think I might remember that particular area! Ah... Quake 2! Thinking about it, Q2 and NS2 have a lot in common when it comes to art direction.

The new courtyard has an alien vibe too, imo. I like it a lot just judging by the visuals. As I think Docking has improved overall in that regard. I still haven't played enough to say anything about balance. It's jsut a pitty that landing pad is now pretty much obsolete that cafe is not a tech point anymore. I loved that area for epic Fade/Jetpackmarine battles.

So out of sheer curiosity, I had a little play on a server hosting the infamous balance mod yesterday.

I didn't play for long, so I didn't get a full impression of it, but in all honesty it didn't feel massively different to regular NS2.

I only played marines (perhaps there's bigger changes on the alien side with the biomass stuff and whatnot), and the biggest change I found was the armories not healing armour as well as health. It's a huge change because it means rines are forced to weld each others armour and it makes it much easier for aliens to assault a marine base.

Also I think our commander was bit new, so I didn't see any of the one-chair jetpacks or exos unfortunately. Could be an interesting strategy for marines to rush jetpacks from the start when it eventually makes its way into the full game.

In other news, I shan't be joining you fine folks this Thursday (for whatever you end up playing) as I am going on a short holiday. I'll probably see you guys Sunday.

Well, I haven't played the bt yet, but I would assume that bt marines feel more similar to vanilla marines because they only changed the tech paths, prices and the welding. Aliens on the other hand got a whole new movement code on top of that, with the Skulk and Fade having a very altered feel apparently.

Also I read that jetpack + sg rushes at the start are a little OP at the moment.

... and enjoy your holiday airtekh! Sunday it'll be back to duty!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    That grenade glitch is fucking horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That grenade glitch is fucking horrendous.
    What glitch are you talking about? Because I think the GL has neer been as good as in the current build. Client side grenade makes for much smoother shooting and now that they don't explode on impact unless they traveled some distance, they aren't über-shotguns anymore.

P.S. Ah, are you referring to the bug where grenades keep exploding thoughout the game? That is due to NS2stats not working correctly with build 251. Just don't join servers that have NS2stats enabled and your problem should be solved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    What glitch are you talking about? Because I think the GL has neer been as good as in the current build. Client side grenade makes for much smoother shooting and now that they don't explode on impact unless they traveled some distance, they aren't über-shotguns anymore.

P.S. Ah, are you referring to the bug where grenades keep exploding thoughout the game? That is due to NS2stats not working correctly with build 251. Just don't join servers that have NS2stats enabled and your problem should be solved.
    That's the one. Had three or so games in a row where I was winning with the aliens until the marines decided to wall off their base with explosions or screw over our Hive. That's good to know, I was at the point of not playing until it got fixed. (It would seem that every populous server with acceptable ping uses NS2stats, though.)