Activated Node

The Crippled Skulk - Technical Problems Thread

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=153172023

A pretty screenshot of what the game looks like when my friend plays alien. Marine works fine though. It's actually my old hardware he's using, so I know it used to work.

Anyone that have had similar problems?

Network Hub
    That looks like a corrupt install .. although it could also be a bad mod install that's overriding textures

First, I'd disable all mods and check if its fixed,
    if not, delete the
    C:\Users\njursten\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2
    folder

otherwise a full reinstall (delete local content then install again)

If you look at the screenshot, there's a 'checker' type of image behind the health/energy bar .. that's shown if a texture is corrupt or doesn't exist .. and as for the rest ..

Has he tried anything to fix it?

Activated Node
    Now that you mention the checker texture, isn't what's covering the whole screen what's supposed to be behind the health and energy bar? Just started up a game, and there is some kind of moving texture.

Well, no, he hasn't tried much yet. He has the latest graphics drivers. The game ought to be quite recently installed. I guess he could still try reinstalling.

A couple of patches ago, I used to get those 'checker' textures right before my game crashed. It was like the game 'warned' me right before a CTD.

Now it doesn't give any warning whatsoever; as I found out when I saved all my res for an Onos the other night and crashed right when I was evolving. Yay.

I'm still getting crashes on a regular basis, but I think it may be a similar problem to the one I had in Planetside 2 (to do with being on a Windows 32-bit system). I'll dig out the fix for that and see if it makes any difference.

Network Hub
    Just double checked, and the checker is the 'notfound' texture .. so somethings happening that's causing it .. compiled shaders problem or corrupt/missing textures or corrupt mods.

(It's in C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\materials\notfound.dds (use some dds image viewer))

I also checked creating a map face using a temp texture and deleted the texture after the map was made to simulate a missing or corrupt texture file and it shows what you see in the screenshot .. an 'invisible' wall ..

If its on another pc in his LAN, just delete his C:\Users\njursten\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 folder and then replace his C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2 with a good install :P (ie reinstall)

He could try a 'rejig' .. run the beta (think its about 500mb install) then reset it to non beta
    (right click 'natural selection 2' in steam library, properties -> beta -> pick beta from the dropdown)

Activated Node
    Hm, OK. So when you deleted the texture the "wall" covered the whole screen, not just parts where the the missing texture was used? If it's the latter it's a bit weird that marine works fine. Hm, maybe he can find some info the console log. Well, I'll pass on these tips! Thank you.

Activated Node
    Apparently a simple "verify installation" fixed it. He was then reminded of his computer having crashed during the download, but as it resumed just fine he forgot about it. I'd assumed steam would do a verification automatically in that situation.

Network Hub
    woohoo good good