Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Steam database shows Steam Trading Cards, trading PC games is back!?

Turns out its a new Achievement sort of system but you can get DLC and coupons out of it :)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ying-old-ones/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20388...ll-wasted.html

Last edited by NoodleFighter; 19-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Maybe they want to export the hatconomy to a new game, but instead of targeting TF2 players, everyone of Steam. Imagine it: a trading card game based off your purchases, random drops and ingame achievements. Then a "key" system to allow real money to be converted to pretend money without every government around throwing the taxdogs at you. And the game itself will be wonderfully engaging and just plain fun.

It's just pure evil.

Also, Kongregate did it first.
    Last edited by pakoito; 13-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actual, like trading cards. Like, cards you can trade, but digital. Honestly, I've no idea why Steam did not do this 10 years ago and reap in the DLC/micro purchase market. It will be your common a garden trading card game, hosted on steam (well, probably not, just download the game) and they reap the profits. :)

[edit]
    Oh, it's not? It's just some additions to the steam trades? that's still cool.

It's probably just a formalisation of gift trading in the vein of the current markets for TF2 and DOTA2. Don't get your hopes up for being able to trade that DNF you played for 15 minutes before you had to throw up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    It's probably just a formalisation of gift trading in the vein of the current markets for TF2 and DOTA2. Don't get your hopes up for being able to trade that DNF you played for 15 minutes before you had to throw up.
    My thoughts as well.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Honestly, anything that would let me clear some of this dross out of my games list would be good by me. Hell, I'd cheerfully give a lot of it away if I could.
    I agree with you. I have so much junk in my Steam I had to put them in a Crap category that I created!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habibi View Post
    I agree with you. I have so much junk in my Steam I had to put them in a Crap category that I created!
    I did that too, but Steam keeps rearranging and deleting my categories, so I ultimately gave up on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I did that too, but Steam keeps rearranging and deleting my categories, so I ultimately gave up on it.
    Ick. I'd go nuts if that happened to my Steam account. I have an obsessive organization system.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No idea what your doing wrong. Never had that happen...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Be sure to properly exit Steam before shutting the computer down. It needs to sync the categories to the Steam servers. At least that's what I figured went wrong, and I haven't had any problems since.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Obscure Node
    That happens a lot to me.

I use Depressurizer to fix it when it happens - you can save your categories to a file so it's a very quick process to recategorise 300+ games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Whenever I boot up my laptop there's a good chance all my categories will forcibly revert to whatever configuration they were in the last time I loaded up Steam on my laptop, with any new games getting decategorized completely. This is a dirt common problem, as I understand it. I'll take a look at Depressurizer. Honestly, anything to improve Steam's interface is welcome.
    Last edited by vinraith; 14-05-2013 at 07:14 PM.

What if it's an actual trading card game starring Valve characters and other games on steam?

I used to get the problem where categories revert all the time, but ever since I got a new rig it hasn't been doing it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    They're part of a shitty profile overhaul. It went live for a couple of minutes earlier.

Can someone please invent a new fad? I'm getting sick of this social networking bullshit.
    Why can't Valve just improve their horrible client instead of doing this?

either that, or they make you pay a fee to the developer if you trade games.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I believe manually closing steam after changing or adding to categories forces them to upload to the cloud.

Shutting down without doing this has a far higher chance for my categories to forget what just happened.
    It's a somewhat dodgy system and this little fix may not work for all.

I wish they'd sort the category system out better though, being able to batch categorise, change names of existing categories and add sub categories seems like a no brainer addition but it's been a lack-lustre system for a long time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I had a Epiphany the day I noticed wen a game cost 20$, but include 3 hats that you can each sell for 1$, that this game really cost 17$.

In this weird world of Steam
    Hats == $ / € == Games == CD-Key

I think the weak point is Hats,because only one game support it. In 10 or maybe 5 years, people will stop buying hats, then these hats will be worth nothing. But just now, I know a dude that have 700€ in hats, he can buy whole games selling these hats, maybe pay the subscription to a MMO for a few years selling his hats.

Trading CD-Keys or other thing, will just add another element. Steam may probably replace hats by something else in the future, maybe create Steamdollars... I think have not done that already, because Steam itself hate the concept of fakedollars, but I suspect is unavoidable.

Another interesting element, is that Steam want to stop curating the market, and giving that responsibility to third parties.

Looks like it has to do with an upcoming redesign of Steam profile pages.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/commen...ed_the_entire/

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Yay, more community achievements!!1

I wished the devs working on the client would focus on adding some long requested features or improving performance. Steam's start-up time is atrocious, for example.

Network Hub
    ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH

If they ever allow game trading I'm going to sell everything, close my account and walk away.