Thread: Civ 5 mods

Civ 5 mods

I've been lookin around for some thoughts on civ 5 and it's ai so I thought I would bring my questions here. I'm not a power player or anything, I would mostly play the fourth one on Prince or so with a couple of the modpacks installed.

Do any of you use some of the mods for civ 5 to improve the ai? I've run across this one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...85737&page=101
    and it looks interesting but I'm just curious as to if anyone has tried that one out or even just had a good enough challenge in vanilla to justify a purchase. I love GalCiv2 and all but I'm hankerin' for a little down-to-earth 4x game to keep my interest too.

no one?....

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I looked into this quite recently. Though not in great depth, so searching might come up with a different answer.
    Basically, modders should have access to the DLL now. That means they can start modding the AI. I didnt actually find out if the dll has been released (Or whatever is realsed) but just the news that it should be out by now. That probably means that they wont have good AI mods out yet, it will take time. I would suggest wating a bit, check again in November or so, to see how progres is. At the moment, I dont think any significant AI mods exist.

Ok sweet, I remember reading a thread to that extent. But I tend to take the CivFanatics forums with a grain of salt, as they tend to be ungodly good at those games while I take a more passing approach and get less offended with the streamlining the game did. I'll be waiting then, hopefully it'll be on sale around that time too! Thanks for the help

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I think i heard that the AI has been massively improved with the patches of the game, but I'm not sure how much improved they are.

Activated Node
    While certainly no expert player, I must say, the ai has improved considerably since the initial release. Like many people, I went on a bit of a binge when Civ 5 was first released, but found the computer to be a bit shakey on the decision making. I started several games this weekend and was rather pleased with how much better the ai handled waging war. Negotiating peace contracts is still a bit shakey, and the computer still refuses to take reasonable offers until you wipe out their entire army.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I personally don't think the AI is any worse than what was on offer in Civ 4--to be fair, I'm not great at strategy games. You also have to consider that there's probably a limit to how challenging the default AI can be for someone who's played any earlier entry in the series and gained some skill.

taking all the responses into consideration then: has anyone who has the game ever won any map on something other than domination? I've watched some let's plays and it seems like its basically steamrolling over the competition while filming it.

edit: and do the AI's go after those other victories?
    Last edited by jp0249107; 16-08-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Activated Node
    I have had several scientific victories, one cultural victory, and many joyous dominations. On several attempts, I have tried to win via the UN vote, but I seem to run out of steam by that point in the game. I typically play on the prince difficulty level.

Cultural victories are pretty easy as long as you only build about three cities yourself, then puppet the rest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Agreed, Ghandi's cultural win is fairly easy, as India is geared to small numbers of cities. Never open your borders and the predictable AI can't tell what your troop strength looks like.