Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar

Eurovision

It's the time of the year again when the best of Europe comes together!
    As tradition will have it I will be in the Steam RPS chat from 8PM onwards to share with you this supreme moment of TV!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Anyone else excited for this?
    It's always hilarious.

------

Another year, another travesty.
    Damn I already can't wait for Eurovision 2014.
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 18-05-2013 at 11:28 PM.

France, Hungary or Norway should've won.

Denmark wasn't quite as bad as Azerbadjan or Ukraine, but still... ffs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Despite the usual, and often suspiciously bitter, criticism this harmless event gets, it's probably the least unpopular organisation whose name starts with the prefix Euro- these days!

It can be good fun, and it's often the songs that end up in places 10 through 20 that I find most novel. I mean, where else than at the Eurovision Song Contest are you going to find stuff like this years Romanian entry!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Another year, another booze fuelled evening of taking the piss. As ever it was an enjoyable watch and the Swedish interval performance was superbly ridiculous.

Where else would you get expanding dresses with fire effects, a giant, a bloke who looks like a vampire dancing around some suspiciously condom shamed staging, a guy who kidnapped David Blaine and forced him to act as his shadow, Greece clearly trying hard not to win but being accidentally brilliant, desperate attempts to be on trend with dubstep interludes, wind machines and so on.

OK it was won by a relatively mediocre singer doing a passable Shakira impression but that's not what really matters is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    France, Hungary or Norway should've won.
    I'll give you Norway (unexpectedly menacing backing for a Eurovision track!) but France was dull as ditchwater.

Network Hub
    It's always funny to see the local 'experts' predicting a top 5 ranking for Germany and then acting surprised to indignant after 'our' song finishes near the bottom. I think unlike in the UK, at least part of the media (and people) here take the contest somewhat seriously (though I have no idea why).

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I can't believe people are still watching this crap, when will it finally die?
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's the time of the year again when the best of Europe comes together!
    Please, tell me that this is a joke.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    I can't believe people are still watching this crap, when will it finally die?
    When it will stop being incredibly fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Ukraine was robbed...she had a frikken giant for Christs sake...that's gotta score at least 100 points already....

That dude is so turning up in GoT at some point...
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    It's always funny to see the local 'experts' predicting a top 5 ranking for Germany and then acting surprised to indignant after 'our' song finishes near the bottom.
    That's indeed an important part of the fun! There's a legion of those people here as well, who probably managed to fill a dozen newspaper pages and a few hours worth of radio and tv shows with the basic message that "Anouk was fantastic, but the rest of Europe is stupid because she should definitely have been in the top 5" rather than the 9th place The Netherlands ended up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    That dude is so turning up in GoT at some point...
    Igor Vovkovinskiy is between 235-242 cm tall! What a guy!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~

My top 3 were Norway, Denmark and Romania!

Oh God, Eurovision is SO delightfully bad lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I'll give you Norway (unexpectedly menacing backing for a Eurovision track!) but France was dull as ditchwater.
    You thought Norway was menacing but France wasn't?

Come on, it's like something straight out of a David Lynch movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    That's indeed an important part of the fun! There's a legion of those people here as well, who probably managed to fill a dozen newspaper pages and a few hours worth of radio and tv shows with the basic message that "Anouk was fantastic, but the rest of Europe is stupid because she should definitely have been in the top 5" rather than the 9th place The Netherlands ended up in!
    We usually have that too in the UK (some take it seriously, others see it as a bit of a joke) but this year I think we realised we had a bit of a dud song and last year gave us a clue of what to expect when wheeling out an old star and giving them a middling ballad.

As for the Netherlands there was a general bemusement with the folks I was watching with that they did as well as 9th, all of us had marked them exceptionally low (categories being "song" "performance" and "outfit") and it's just as well we only had a drinking rule in operation for our top chosen acts and not out bottom one!

Probably the moment of the night on the BBC coverage was a slightly the worse for wear Graham Norton giving catty comments during the announcing of the score and suddenly blurting out "Its Sideshow Bob!" at the appearance of some curly haired presenter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    If Europe was a high school...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

... America would be the creepy home schooled kid, always on the other side of the fence, looking in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.