Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    ... America would be the creepy home schooled kid, always on the other side of the fence, looking in.
    ...fat, greasy, awkward, and far richer than everybody else. "Fuck you, I'll have my own popularity contest, and none of you are invited!"

This explains the World Series.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    the Swedish interval performance was superbly ridiculous.
    I've managed to stay far enough away from it this year to not even have heard the Swedish entry (and that's not easy here - people are for some reason genuinely excited about Eurovision). I did look up that interval performance just now though and bloody christ. Swedish nationalism is insufferably weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    this years Romanian entry!
    And that was gloriously weird. Eastern Europe always seem to be the best at having fun with their entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    It's always funny to see the local 'experts' predicting a top 5 ranking for Germany and then acting surprised to indignant after 'our' song finishes near the bottom. I think unlike in the UK, at least part of the media (and people) here take the contest somewhat seriously (though I have no idea why).
    What strikes me most is that the press now blames Angela Merkel and her foreign/Euro politics for the final result. Let's face it, our entry was just as dull as watching paint dry.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    What strikes me most is that the press now blames Angela Merkel and her foreign/Euro politics for the final result. Let's face it, our entry was just as dull as watching paint dry.
    Well, it's kind of true, isn't it? I mean if Germany would stop messing around and just buy southern Europe already, you could have them do whatever you want.

Also, kudos to Lambchops for summing the whole spectacle up so neatly in his first post. Agreed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Well, it's kind of true, isn't it? I mean if Germany would stop messing around and just buy southern Europe already, you could have them do whatever you want.
    "Who would have thought that the key to German domination would be an international banking conspiracy? They need us!" — Jon Stewart
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It did strike me as somewhat awkward that the German singer would proclaim that: "We can set the world on fire", "Tonight we can be glorious", "The world is ours". That said, I'm sure the German entry would have gotten little love from certain parts of Europe whatever the entry was.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

I just remembered the German contribution! God, it was awful. I must've repressed it. Which is kind of funny, since it came back to me now after watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Charlie Kaufman is awesome. Cascada is not.

I liked Norway and the Netherlands best. I wish I understood Greek. And while Lambchops was dead on the money about Denmark, it was a catchy tune and thus a predictable winner. My Eurovision sense (standard equipment for Swedes) started tingeling something fierce during that song.

Denmark's entry was pretty much a paint-by-numbers ESC entry playing it safe and didn't have to fear any real competition of the unexpected kind, maybe except for Greece (fun) and Norway (not your typical ESC sounding entry). I wish the latter would have won, but at least it did pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    It did strike me as somewhat awkward that the German singer would proclaim that: "We can set the world on fire", "Tonight we can be glorious", "The world is ours". That said, I'm sure the German entry would have gotten little love from certain parts of Europe whatever the entry was.
    Hey, even Israel gave us 5 points, and that sure says something.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Hey, even Israel gave us 5 points, and that sure says something.
    Are you saying that Jews have poor taste? Not okay, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Are you saying that Jews have poor taste? Not okay, dude.
    Well, that's another way to put it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Second semi-final is live.

So bad, yet so good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Love some Eurovision, Unfortunately I'll miss it due to some family birthday celebrations (unless that is we end up watching it, but if that's the case then frankly I'll miss the drinking games, my folks aren't the drinking game type).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I have a 2 year old's birthday to attend during the afternoon. So that just means there will be lots of us already sloshed on cheap booze to watch it. Excellent.

I don't expect it to win, but Italy's Emma Marrone is quite the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Eastern Europe always seem to be the best at having fun with their entries.
    I'd say Poland gets the nod for having a good laugh with their entry this year.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Not to put a downer on it but I do wonder what its going to be like with the whole ukraine and russia thing going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I do wonder what its going to be like with the whole ukraine and russia thing going on...
    There were a few boo-boys who manifested themselves after Russia's entry sang during the first half-final and who, for reasons only known to them, saw fit to make Denmark look like a bad host. Other than that, whatever is happening in the Ukraine doesn't affect this event in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Not to put a downer on it but I do wonder what its going to be like with the whole ukraine and russia thing going on...
    Beyond the booing, the Crimean situation has complicated matters somewhat, regarding which country their votes should be counted as coming from (affecting the national vote distribution, beside the fact that you can't vote for your own country). They'll count as Ukrainian, since they're still hooked up to the Ukrainian telephone system.

It is also quite likely that the conflict will affect the voting overall, since some people may be more or less inclined to vote for the Russian or Ukrainian contributions for political reasons.

Not very related to Russia, but the Austrian contestant is a bearded drag act, causing harsh protests from certain crowds. There are petitions in some nations (Russia, Armenia and one other place IIRC) to not show the Austrian performance. From what I hear, the contribution is among the better ones, but his chances of winning are significantly lowered if he's boycotted by certain countries.

I think that covers the political situation atm.

Russia on 22 after 2 countries' votes - if they win, I wouldn't be surprised to see a boycott next year.

EDIT: Russia gave 7 points to Ukraine? OK...

EDIT AGAIN: And if Austria win, which it looks like they might, I can see Russia boycotting it.
    Last edited by Jamozk Ekhiss; 10-05-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Austria's entry is a shitty Bond theme.

Pretty much sums it up.