Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    But there has to be a reason why Steam is treated this way. Stores stock DA2 despite you having to register it with EA, and you can only buy DLC from them. They stock loads of games that have to be tied to Account Y or programme X (Sins of a Solar Empire, for example).

Why Steam? Once the game is out of the store's hands, they have nothing to do with it. There has to be something about Steam that's causing this.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by goatmonkey View Post
    I may be wrong but were not all the THQ games not being on steam before launch attributed to Game refusing to stock them if they were.
    I can't think of a single Game store within a 30 mile radius of here that actually has a shelf for PC titles. If I ever wanted to buy a game retail, HMV is about the only place stocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Why Steam?
    Likely because Steam is so popular.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Are they STILL bitter over the whole American Revolution? You know there's such a thing as a sore winner.

Network Hub
    I'm repeating myself on this, again, but it's Game and other UK brick and mortars' fault, not THQ, not Valve, and definitely not Relic. The b&ms have threatened to not stock the console versions of multiplatform games where the PC version uses Steamworks if it's available day and date on Steam. They've publicly stated that they hate the idea of being forced to sell Valve's digital storefront with games, because they think it's anti-competitive (which is a completely bullshit line. They don't exactly go out of their way to sell PC games in the first place, since they can't re-sell PC games any more).

Smaller companies (and ones in as dire financial straits as THQ) quite simply can't afford to risk calling them on it by telling them to go screw, since it's the console sales that make quarterly reports look good. This is why DoWII: Retribution didn't get pulled, but Homefront, Red Faction: Armageddon, Brink, and others have. (I'm actually surprised that Squeenix hasn't caved on this for Deus Ex, considering their most recent financial statements, but maybe they'll do what Brink did and pull it from the store the day it releases instead of pulling it months prior and cutting off any pre-sales).

And you will never ever get an official public statement to this effect, because to do so would risk alienating the b&ms that they're bending over backward to appease.

If you want a better example of the ridiculous power that the brick & mortar retailers wield, take a look at the PSP Go. That was very nearly completely strangled in the womb by the shops because they were going to refuse to stock it since they wouldn't be able to sell the games for it. Sony managed to get a stay of execution with the game cards that people could buy in store to put money on their PSN accounts, but it was still killed. My money's on much the same thing happening with the PS Vita.

But there has to be something about Steam specifically that's causing the issue. If stores don't want to bundle other company's store fronts, why do they stock Sins of a Solar Empire? GfWL games? Ubisoft/Uplay games? They have requirements for that software which allows you to buy other games, content and so forth.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Because Steam is also a kind of storefront tat sells games that they don't get some money to, sure Ubisoft and EAs is also a storefront, but they know that those publishers still sell in stores because they kind of need to. Valve could easily not sell in stores and still get lots of money probably and the stores kind of hate that I would guess. Also Steam is really really popular, and they fear that as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    take a look at the PSP Go. That was very nearly completely strangled in the womb by the shops because they were going to refuse to stock it since they wouldn't be able to sell the games for it.
    To be fair, the Go had pathetic appeal. Whilst the idea of a mobile platform that used digital distribution is pretty cool, people thought it a bit bizarre to go from having a physical copy and download access...to just the latter. Add along with the price and the Go pretty much killed itself. In comparison, the Vita looks a hell of a lot better and there is demand for a mobile power-house of a handheld.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to understate the power of retail, but as publishers, THQ need to address the situation or at least put out one crappy PR statement to at least know that people are aware of it and that we're not all idiots being taken along for the ride.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    But there has to be something about Steam specifically that's causing the issue. If stores don't want to bundle other company's store fronts, why do they stock Sins of a Solar Empire? GfWL games? Ubisoft/Uplay games? They have requirements for that software which allows you to buy other games, content and so forth.
    Because only one of the things you're talking about makes a ridiculous amount of money and is the face of a distribution model that brick and mortar retailers are fighting against. I'm sure the software is a factor, but quite frankly the biggest thing is simply because Steam is such a big competitor in the area.

I do have a buddy in THQ whom I've touched base with on this, and as much as he was able to say is its directly related to retailers.
    They have given Publishers an ultimatum - either stop selling your games on Steam, or we will not stock your games ever again. Retail still counts for a large portion of sales and, as pointed out, for console titles would kill your audience unbelievably fast. You don't want to be blacklisted if you intend to sell to your audience through the high street.

I think there's a lot of embargo on talking from all sides - Valve can't comment on their clients disputes, and publishers can't comment on rumours or speculation. Whats painful is that Valve won't step up and say "talk to the game publishers, it isn't our problem" and the retailers don't want to admit they are holding publishers by the balls.

It's an interesting problem which is born from digital distribution, and should of been expected sooner. Retailers have always killed each other for preorder specific bonuses, since its a reason to say "WE GIVE YOU THIS COOL STUFF YOU CAN ONLY GET FROM US - PREORDER TODAY!" so having a digital client muscle in just makes matters worse.

Also, Steam is basically a shop. If you hand somebody a copy of a game with Steam, you are giving them full access to a competitor. Can you imagine how high street retailers whom have slugged it out for years feel about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirmetrium View Post
    Also, Steam is basically a shop. If you hand somebody a copy of a game with Steam, you are giving them full access to a competitor. Can you imagine how high street retailers whom have slugged it out for years feel about that?
    But like I've said above, they're not acting that way over their competitors. Why is it Steam that they're focusing on? Is it simply because they're the biggest, or is it more to do with Steamworks, or is it even something else? If they're against games coming with a store front, why do they stock games which require Impulse (I know there's barely any, but still)? Why do they have Games for Windows Live games, which are arguably as in your face about their storefront as Steam is?

I can't see them not stocking Battlefield 3, even if it comes with Origin, but is that because it's not Steam, or what?

I'm just trying to make sense of this. With the growing controversy surrounding Valve R.E. games not being available in the UK (Seemingly focused on Bethesda titles) and their conflict with EA, it's getting hard to see them as an innocent party in all of this. I think Valve and Steam must be doing something that's causing, or at least contributing to, all these issues that are affecting honest, legitimate customers who just want to buy a bloody game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So here's something. On the official forums, UK residents can obtain a demo by registering for the Honour Guard, essentially the forum and get it on the same date as everyone else in the Honour Guard, the 22nd. I'm not sure how you actually get the demo, but there you go. It's something.