Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

tablet/tablet-like for reading pdfs?

I read a lot of technical documentation, scientific papers, and manuals in pdf format. For the most part, I really hate reading these on a computer screen, so I tend to end up printing off reams of paper for more comfortable reading. This is expensive and getting increasingly silly, so what I'd really like to do is find a nice portable device with a large enough screen and comfortable enough interface that I can just load them all onto it and read them there.

Since this is really all I need the device for, though, I'm not enthusiastic about spending a lot of money on it, and I've had a surprisingly hard time finding something that really fits the bill here. I tried a Kindle Touch but found the pdf reader far too clunky and the screen size much too small for the purpose, so sent it back.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something that might serve this purpose?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The Kindle Fire HD?
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    The Kindle Fire HD?
    I thought about that, but good lord it's expensive for what I want it for. It may ultimately be the best option despite that, I'm just hoping someone can think of something with a lower price tag!

Well if you don't find another I can vouch for the tablet itself. It's quick, lovely to read on not too weighty or any of that. You may well find something that suits your needs better though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Get something 10" chinese and double core with 4.1. It should be around $150.

Well if you don't find another I can vouch for the tablet itself. It's quick, lovely to read on not too weighty or any of that. You may well find something that suits your needs better though.
    You're not the first person I've heard that from, and I appreciate the information. My major concern (other than price) with the Fire is the degree to which Amazon has it locked down. Am I right that it's pretty much a walled garden?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    On a different front: As long as you get an Android (and if you are going cheap, you will :p) get Repligo Reader.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ader.app&hl=en
    http://www.amazon.com/Cerience-Corpo...repligo+reader

Available in the two major stores. It opens very large PDFs (in terms of file size AND page count), has good search features, and is even capable of making annotations that are embedded in the PDF so you can actually reference them on your desktop at a later date.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have a nexus 7, which is also a good tablet. (bit more than a kindle hd, but less locked down. if you're outside the USA/UK then kindle can be a bit of a toss up).

But If you found the 6 inch Kindle Touch screen way too small, then I'm not sure the 7 inch nexus/fire-hd screen will be a big improvement. So you're going to want at least a 9 inch screen.
    Which means a nexus 10, or a fire hd 8.9. Or, cheapest, a Nook HD+.
    Unless you can find a decent no-name 9 inch android tablet from china (of which there are probably quite a few.. but you'll have to do research).

FWIW, I find a 7 inch screen good for reading novel-size books, but a bit too small for comfortably reading magazines/comics. It's ok, but it's not perfect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nexus 7 fits great in one hand and have read news, web sites, books on it. Have loaded and read small pdfs, but nothing in length. Nooks are pretty cheap also and can be unlocked and loaded with base Android. Also having Android will give you the ability to save more pdfs and use dropbox, Drive, Evernote etc to manage them vs a ebook reader.

Maybe try to nab a refurbished tablet to keep costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    You're not the first person I've heard that from, and I appreciate the information. My major concern (other than price) with the Fire is the degree to which Amazon has it locked down. Am I right that it's pretty much a walled garden?
    Not really, there's a community patch which allows you to install absolutely anything you like on it. I have a gameboy emulator on it for example. All it requires is the ability to follow a few instructions and IMO completely worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Been using a Nexus 7 for a while and I'd say it's a good tablet. You can install acrobat reader on it, and it works ok (crisp pixels). You can also install the free Kindle app on it and access any kindle books you've bought as well (I pretty much use the Nexus now rather than my Kindle).
    Last edited by Kadayi; 26-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Not really, there's a community patch which allows you to install absolutely anything you like on it. I have a gameboy emulator on it for example. All it requires is the ability to follow a few instructions and IMO completely worth it.
    Can you link to more info? Google just throws up store page results. I just got a Kindle myself.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

I was referring to putting Google Play on my Kindle, here's pretty much how I did it:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-t...e-hd-50010454/

As far as installing any other software, well I think you just can as long as you can download it.

Obscure Node
    I'd second the Nexus 7. It can be a little small, but I like it for reading on the bus / toilet / in bed / all 3 at the same time. I'd recommend going into a shop and downloading a paper to try on the shop model (bring a taser to get rid of the bored kids playing Angry Birds on the model you want to try) - often on cheap tablets the scroll rate is awful, and you want to be happy you can read on it without destroying your eyes. You also want to get a decent case, as dropping/scratching something that expensive can't be fun.