Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I get your point that people can get used to everything, but I'm just reeling at how much it really did look like you were saying Steam = XboxOne. After all, a non-connected PC is a rarity, but a non-connected Xbox is common, and the cultures for each are different.
    Where did I say the two were identical? All I did was edit a quote for humerous effect and noted that when Steam first landed it went through a similar period of hatred with people swearing not to use it and so on. I still have an old PC PowerPlay magazine (a popular PC gaming mag here in Australia, at least it used to be) with an article complaining about Steam and how it only penalised honest users (from 2004 when HL2 came out). That's all. If you read my post I actually don't agree with what they're proposing here, but I do doubt it's going to kill the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Steam is not the only way to buy and play PC games. Shocking, I know.
    No, but it's one of the most popular, and so many AAA retail games now require Steam, so...
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Then there's the whole Netflix situation...
    Windows 8 is a better media box so far than a 360. Windows 8 built apps work great. Netflix and Slacker used the most. XBMC works great. I do not touch my 360 due to any good feature is gated by Live.

I expect to go the same process this generation as the previous. Nintendo > Sony > Xbox.

Wii first day for because its Nintendo and something new and a lot cheaper than PS3. Sony for Valkyria Chronicles, Blu-Ray and $100 gift card promo. Used Xbox for Rock Band Garage and the few other exclusives, although the Sony exclusives tend to be more interesting, haven't touched Halo since 2 nor any Gears of War.
    Last edited by Moraven; 22-05-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It has built in DVR features, but I think Sony is doing it right with the streaming chip.

Microfsoft did they they are putting down more into cloud computing to allow better multiplayer service and gasp 64/128 online matches! Sony has proven larger matches are possible with MAC on the PS3.

Best thing ever!
    All Xbox One units will ship with a Kinect sensor, and the Xbox One must have the new Kinect sensor plugged in at all times in order to run, said Microsoft representatives in a Q&A about the console.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...equires-kinect
    Xbox 360 Kinect owners had some trouble today watching Microsoft's Xbox One reveal due to device's response to "Xbox" commands spoken during the livestream.
    Several users took to Twitter to document their problems, which included pausing, opening Xbox Live or quitting the stream entirely. Polygon's own reviews editors Arthur Gies experienced similar problems with his Kinect while watching the stream.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...box-one-reveal

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Obscure Node
    That was fun.

Microsoft reveals the XBox-359 internet enabled blue-ray (tm Sony Inc.) player complete with sports subscription service, internet phone capabilities and an interactive user interface to rival that found on many smart T.V.s. The reveal was made in front of a live audience to the collective roar of one hand clapping. My theory is the crowed were asked to kerb their enthusiasm and keep the noise down so as not to interfere with the demonstrations of the new voice control system, unusually for Americans they complied without a single Whoop or Yahoo.

Though technical details were few, the -359 appears to pack an astoundingly predictable array of technology into what is best described as a box of classic design. So classic a design that several members of press asked 'where do you put the tapes'? Laughing, a Microsoft representative replied: 'Tapes from the 1980s? No, no. The new XBox isn't designed to support your 30 year old tapes, in fact it doesn't even support the games you bought in 2012'.

The highlight feature is without doubt the new Kinect system. Its much improved high definition always seeing eye now backed by greater analytical powers that it may track your every move even in a darkened room, while a soft power button ensures it is always ready and will never be switched off by accident. Combined with the recommended 'always on' internet connection and the security provided by three previously untested operating systems it's possible this box could be providing countless hours of live entertainment to people all around the world, without the original owner having to lift so much as a finger.

Several industry bigwigs took to the stage to show support for the new product. A Microsoft representative explained how the -359 helped with his fantasies about tall black men. An EA representative showed how you could watch football, how you could watch game trailers and how you could watch football and game trailers at the same time.

The rest of the presentation went by in a blur as I had my mouse pointer pressed firmly on the fast forward button. Too much of a good thing this early in week may lead to disappointment come the weekend. I'll no doubt review the footage I missed for giggles in the days to come. In summary I must say I do not think I have ever before watched a presentation quite like this one.

Edit:
    There is strong speculation that a further announcement to made at E3 will confirm the -359's ability to play computer games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think it's going to be a success just like the Kinect, it'll end up bringing down video games even lower, and have more ways of screwing with the consumer than XboxLive, but it'll sell. I mean, if you spend half a billion on marketing something, it's guaranteed to sell shit loads.

As for games, I'd say they were holding them off for E3. That's when the console crowd will go crawling back to em, when they see a new Halo and whathaveyou.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It'll sell units to fanboys and for some exclusives, but I'm calling it now, a bunch of the original IPs they announce are going to be Kinect games that nobody actually wants.

Beyond that I see it going the way of the WiiU. It looks to have all the same potential issues that has.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 22-05-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    All I got from this all funny thing is: http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/435...e-at-any-point

Yay, probability of more games with savegames coming back!
    Now where can I get cheap PS2 games and second controler? Or when PS3 will be cheaper?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

its SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT SHIT. I TELL YOU SHIT! SHITTTT
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    its SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT SHIT. I TELL YOU SHIT! SHITTTT
    Probably someone would argue still.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

and I havent even read or heard anything about it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

There seems to be some confusion on the subject of the always online thing. I think it's probably worth waiting for the full details before rushing to judgement. That said, I think in countries with stable broadband infrastructures, it isn't a dealbreaker for most people. Lots of devices' usefulness is proportional to how often they're connected to the internet - tablets/computers/smartphones. A lot of games on my N7 refuse to work without an internet connection - licence checking etc. I didn't even find this out until i was somewhere without wifi (I don't have the SIM version). The vast majority of the target market for the One, in "developed" countries, will likely be barely aware of the "at least once a day" internet requirement. For most of these people, it will be a case of "oh, I have to put in my wifi key" the first time they turn it on, then after that, they'll forget about it. That doesn't mean there won't be frustration when connections go down or cloud services are interrupted. It doesn't mean there won't be annoying lag and crap like that. It just means I don't think it will ultimately put off most customers.

I know that won't be a popular opinion, but the truth is, for all the pissing and moaning we do about always on DRM, Diablo 3 and Sim City have sold rather well. Granted these are games not consoles and when they do go down you have something else to play, but it's not that big a leap from a single-player game that must be online at all times, to a console that must be online at least once a day.

MS and Sony have not announced different strategies for second hand games - MS has just given more details. Sony's claims of "we'll do right by consumers and developers" is basically just like saying "there'll be a system for it - you won't just be able to sell your disks back to Game".

I liked the intelligent TV stuff and the fusion of that with VOD - all your tv, video, movie rentals in one location. It's more convenient than the silly fragmentation we have at the moment. You can rent movies through smart tv, watch through netflix on your console, rent things through your digital set top box. Attempting to make the xbox a central device for everything you do through your tv is a smart move on MS' part, if it works. All that said, the question is: how well will all that crap work outside the US? Will my xbox be able to control my set top box? How? Is there some open standard in HDMI for sending commands back to the cable box? I think if the TV integration is US only, it's a big blow to the sales pitch. It basically dismantles the USP. The One becomes what the 360 is today - an outlet for VOD and a games console.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Where did I say the two were identical? All I did was edit a quote for humerous effect and noted that when Steam first landed it went through a similar period of hatred with people swearing not to use it and so on. I still have an old PC PowerPlay magazine (a popular PC gaming mag here in Australia, at least it used to be) with an article complaining about Steam and how it only penalised honest users (from 2004 when HL2 came out). That's all. If you read my post I actually don't agree with what they're proposing here, but I do doubt it's going to kill the console.
    The key difference is demographics. When Steam started retail chains barely stocked PC anymore, most games were bought through things like Amazon and the vast majority of gaming PCs had net connections (I seem to remember hearing it was in the 90+% area).
    Console games even now are far less connected, it took a significant amount of time into the current generation to even got over 50% connected at one point at least. Consumers are more used to buy in retail and the online store situation is confused by geography. The stores only exist in certain valid countries and if you want to sign up from other countries you end up having to fake the region you're in or buying everything in US currency. In those situations it is far more alienating to consumers to make them go online. For steam the barrier for entry was far smaller and has become tiny.

Always online is different again as it becomes about reliability of connection.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Steam is not the only way to buy and play PC games. Shocking, I know.
    Maybe you haven't heard of people who threaten to boycott games because they are not getting a Steam release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Now to annouce next gen features, quicksave/save state!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4354614/xbox-one-lets-you-save-and-restart-your-game-at-any-point

To be fair this is more like the save state of emulators than quicksave. But Quicksave is usually missing from console games (maybe due to not having a button to hit to quicksave).

The only good thing I have seen is multiple Live profiles for One console/subscription. I would like this to come to steam in some form. Android just got it but has its limits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Maybe you haven't heard of people who threaten to boycott games because they are not getting a Steam release.
    I am aware of the phenomenon known as idiocy. It's quite common among humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    The key difference is demographics. When Steam started retail chains barely stocked PC anymore, most games were bought through things like Amazon and the vast majority of gaming PCs had net connections (I seem to remember hearing it was in the 90+% area).
    Console games even now are far less connected, it took a significant amount of time into the current generation to even got over 50% connected at one point at least. Consumers are more used to buy in retail and the online store situation is confused by geography. The stores only exist in certain valid countries and if you want to sign up from other countries you end up having to fake the region you're in or buying everything in US currency. In those situations it is far more alienating to consumers to make them go online. For steam the barrier for entry was far smaller and has become tiny.

Always online is different again as it becomes about reliability of connection.
    Well, the internet has become more easily accessible over time, and now there's going to be more of a reason to connect the consoles. So I don't think the problem will be that severe. But they will still end up alienating people in Hicksville or wherever a reasonable internet connection just isn't possible for whatever reason. On top of that, there are these newfangled TV features that will only ever work properly in the US, so they add another alienating factor for all their customers outside the US. The US is an important market, but Europe is just as important; the PS3 sold twice as many units in Europe as in the US, while the Xbox 360 was the other way around. Looks like things will be even worse for Microsoft in Europe now.

But that seems to be par for the course with Microsoft. They almost seem like they don't want us to throw money at them; they're painfully slow at introducing the Surface and Surface Pro tablets, even though sales in the US are disappointing (so it's not like they just have insufficient supply).

Network Hub
    Seems people have landed on Xbone as the acronym, which I approve of.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The event would have gone a lot better if only they had invited Steve Ballmer. The guy turns into a fucking tornado after snorting coke.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    From the tech side, that save/load requires a good chunk of memory. I have heard that those 8 ram gigs may come down to 4.5 to allow this process. Not that 8 main ram gigs are required for any current game, either PC or console.

Do we already know about GPU specs?

I think several people would be amazed at the large number of households that are not connected to the internet across the first world. I am soon to be without internet for several months myself. Huray for normal circumstances.

Always-online or forced connectivity once a day don't make a jot of difference. High speed stable internet connections are not something to be taken for granted. Even if they were I would still feel uncomfortable about having such restrictions placed on me arbitrarily. but they aren't.

ecat I love your post
    Last edited by SanguineAngel; 22-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.