Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 89
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,324
    The quote? Was from another site where people where talking about women/gaming and how Master Chief is a character designed to empower males.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  2. #22
    Network Hub Rath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    431
    I don't like the two-tone appearance, and I give it a fortnight before they announce versions with different hard drive capacities that come in either all-matte or all-glossy, like they did when the slimline 360 was released. Touch sensitive power button on a glossy surface? Hello fingerprints.

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Touch sensitive power button
    WHYY??? Why do people do this? Are they mental?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,324
    Well MS probably don't imagine you'll be touching the thing at all once you plug it in. You're just going to yell "XBOX ON" at it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  5. #25
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    622
    Just finished watching (most) of the stream. I waited about 20-30 mins for some actual games to show up... then EA Sports appears. And they didn't even bother showing in-game footage. Excluding Call of Duty: Ghosts, I think we saw about a total of a second of in-game footage with Quantum Break (wonder if they are going to try and make what Alan Wake was originally meant to be, before it become an X-Box exclusive.) CoD was actually the only interesting part for gamers, which says a lot.

    So, doing as the presentation did and ignoring the gaming side of the X-Box 1 it does look like a fairly good entertainment device, despite the silly name. Although it is definitely US-centric, being able to bring up a web browser or Skype call on the side of the screen is still a pretty neat feature. If I was in the US, I'm sure I would also be very interested in a lot of the other possibilities displayed, although the Wii U was shown to do a lot of very similar stuff with its TVii feature. The gesture and voice commands look great in the demonstration, but we have to wait until it is in people's living rooms before we can tell if it will actually work, particular when you start having other people in Kinect's vision.

    All in all though, the rest of the presentation was fairly dreadful. I really hope that the cheering from the crowd was from the Microsoft staff, as I can't see why any of the press should be impressed, particular when it came to the games side of the presentation. For all of the talk they gave it, there was nothing showing us why this was a must have device.

    I already own a Wii U, so I'm unlikely to be picking up either of the other consoles any time soon, but the PS4 definitely looks like the better option for the time being. I've got a feeling both sides should be setting their sales expectations low though.

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,631
    In Quantum Break, our desperate hero fights a highly personal battle to save the future before time literally runs out. As time breaks down, impossible, split second moments of destruction turn into epic stages of time powered action. The actions you take, and the choices you make, shape your experience as the narrative unfolds. As you play, a personalized Ďdirectorís cutí of the show is created just for you, based on the decisions you make during the game.

    Sounds good.

  7. #27
    Network Hub Rath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    431
    There are things about the way the 360 handles apps that I really don't like. For example, Facebook, Twitter, etc. being available only to Live subscribers. These are services that are free to sign up to and use on other platforms. If you are online with the thing, you're already paying an ISP for the privilege (presuming you're not stealing internets off your unsecured neighbours networks). I mean personally I'm a bit of an isolationist who despises social networking, and I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than have a Facebook account, let alone have it tied into my single-player gaming experience, but the principle of people being forced to pay twice for something annoys me immensely. The fact that iPlayer is then free to use, whether you subscribe or not, on the same platform due to the TV licensing issues just sets a double standard there.

    And having to buy games and DLC with set amounts of Microsoft Points? Fuck that noise. That they're moving towards real money values with the XB1 is a step in the right direction.

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    There are things about the way the 360 handles apps that I really don't like. For example, Facebook, Twitter, etc. being available only to Live subscribers. These are services that are free to sign up to and use on other platforms. If you are online with the thing, you're already paying an ISP for the privilege (presuming you're not stealing internets off your unsecured neighbours networks). I mean personally I'm a bit of an isolationist who despises social networking, and I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than have a Facebook account, let alone have it tied into my single-player gaming experience, but the principle of people being forced to pay twice for something annoys me immensely. The fact that iPlayer is then free to use, whether you subscribe or not, on the same platform due to the TV licensing issues just sets a double standard there.
    Then there's the whole Netflix situation...

  9. #29
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,631
    Kotaku: If Iím playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

    Harrison: I believe itís 24 hours.

    Kotaku: Iíd have to connect online once every day.

    Harrison: Correct.


    lolololol

  10. #30
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

    Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

    Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

    Harrison: Correct.


    lolololol
    Calling right now the biggest flop ever.
    If that thing is true, I foresee millions of consoles being return because "it doesn't work" or "what's an Ethernet?"
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  11. #31
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

    Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

    Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

    Harrison: Correct.


    lolololol
    Full turd ahead.

  12. #32
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruelty View Post
    Users: So if I want to play HL2 single player, I need to go online to activate it and then run Steam to run the game?

    GabeN: I believe that's correct.

    Users: I’d have to connect online just to play.

    GabeN: Correct.
    Yes, I totally agree it's an absurd move and one that absolutely does not need to happen. But everyone was ultra opposed to Steam back when it first launched (and it had significant issues too) and yet nobody thinks twice about it now. While I don't doubt this is going to cop a lot of negative flak, just like with Valve I don't think it's going to make any difference.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  13. #33
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    People accept Steam because of the sales. Console games going on sales for more than 33%? Never gonna happen.

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Yes, I totally agree it's an absurd move and one that absolutely does not need to happen. But everyone was ultra opposed to Steam back when it first launched (and it had significant issues too) and yet nobody thinks twice about it now. While I don't doubt this is going to cop a lot of negative flak, just like with Valve I don't think it's going to make any difference.
    I do think it does. PC Gaming is a different beast to console "gaming", IMHO. Most of the "hardcore" players won't even notice, but there was some statistics saying that half(or so) of the Xboxen360 were never connected to the 'Net.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    People accept Steam because of the sales. Console games going on sales for more than 33%? Never gonna happen.
    And this just adds fuel to the fire.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  16. #36
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Yes, I totally agree it's an absurd move and one that absolutely does not need to happen. But everyone was ultra opposed to Steam back when it first launched (and it had significant issues too) and yet nobody thinks twice about it now. While I don't doubt this is going to cop a lot of negative flak, just like with Valve I don't think it's going to make any difference.
    Offline mode.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  17. #37
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I do think it does. PC Gaming is a different beast to console "gaming", IMHO. Most of the "hardcore" players won't even notice, but there was some statistics saying that half(or so) of the Xboxen360 were never connected to the 'Net.
    Oh, for sure. But again, this doesn't indicate that the system is going to fail just because it has online DRM. Going back to Steam again there were lots of people who raised the similar arguments when HL2 came out - they were on dialup, they had unreliable internet access, it shouldn't need to happen... actually the same arguments are still getting made. But Steam is praised to hell and back. That's not likely to happen here, but I also see no indication of this killing the platform. That's all I'm saying - the people who are suggesting that this will kill it are being premature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Offline mode.
    Only just started working, doesn't do much if the game requires online activation. I'm not saying Steam==XboxOne, I'm saying that every time someone says "Oh they're doing this? It's guaranteed to flop nobody will buy it!" we frequently end up with people buying it and adopting it as the norm. Nobody liked online platforms like Steam when they first landed. Now it's all we ever talk about.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  18. #38
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,631
    Why would a 24 hours server timeout window become the norm when Sony doesn't really care about this shit and Nintendo is still in the stone age?
    This on top of having CD keys and account-locked games. And Gold subscriptions. And underpowered hardware. And tons of US-only features. And Gamestop being surprised by the second-hand fee bullshit.
    At least they dropped the Allards!
    This is a really weird console and Microsoft has balls of steel to go with it. Or maybe they're just oblivious.

  19. #39
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Only just started working, doesn't do much if the game requires online activation. I'm not saying Steam==XboxOne, I'm saying that every time someone says "Oh they're doing this? It's guaranteed to flop nobody will buy it!" we frequently end up with people buying it and adopting it as the norm. Nobody liked online platforms like Steam when they first landed. Now it's all we ever talk about.
    I get your point that people can get used to everything, but I'm just reeling at how much it really did look like you were saying Steam = XboxOne. After all, a non-connected PC is a rarity, but a non-connected Xbox is common, and the cultures for each are different.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #40
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Yes, I totally agree it's an absurd move and one that absolutely does not need to happen. But everyone was ultra opposed to Steam back when it first launched (and it had significant issues too) and yet nobody thinks twice about it now. While I don't doubt this is going to cop a lot of negative flak, just like with Valve I don't think it's going to make any difference.
    Steam is not the only way to buy and play PC games. Shocking, I know.

    Of course, connectedness is becoming more and more prevalent. A once a day connection requirement is going to annoy some people, but it could have been a whole lot worse (though I'm sure lots of games will manage to add that amount of bad on their own - once per day is just the Xbox requirement).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •