Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    From the tech side, that save/load requires a good chunk of memory. I have heard that those 8 ram gigs may come down to 4.5 to allow this process. Not that 8 main ram gigs are required for any current game, either PC or console.

Do we already know about GPU specs?
    Not yet 100%. Rumors have be either a high end 69xx but more likely a 78xx or 79xx. The biggest advantage the hardware has tho is video and CPU will be on the same chip(!).
    Last edited by Moraven; 22-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Probably a 7790.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Do we already know about GPU specs?
    768 GCN shaders. That's between the Radeon HD 7770 and Radeon HD 7790.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Not yet 100%. Rumors have be either a high end 69xx but more likely a 78xx or 79xx. The biggest advantage the hardware has tho is video and CPU will be on the same cheap.
    It uses the GCN architecture, not old-school VLIW.

The GPU being on-die is a mixed blessing. Major cost advantage, most likely. But memory gets a bit muddled. They need to make the most of the small eSRAM cache (or not-cache maybe) to counter the disadvantage of low-bandwidth DDR3 memory. The CPU cores will be happy with the memory, but the GPU not so much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    The PS4 will have much better memory bandwidth with the GDDR5, also there will be slightly custom hardware paths for both. But they're both based off the 7970M, 18 compute shaders on PS4 and 12 on XboxOne.

The path for CPU<->GPU messaging and some memory ops should be faster off the same die.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    But they're both based off the 7970M, 18 compute shaders on PS4 and 12 on XboxOne.
    Wat.

Those are compute units to be exact, not compute shaders (each compute unit contains 64 shaders), but that's just semantics.

More importantly, I don't see what they have to do with the 7970M specifically. You could theorize that the GPUs are cut-down Pitcairns, but then Pitcairn is used in both 7970M, 7870, and 7850 (the latter two being desktop parts). But since they're on-die iGPUs, I really doubt that's the case. They're most likely custom-built chips. Low yields shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.

As for the memory, the Xbone has DDR3 which is low-bandwidth by GPU standards. They're including a small amount of eSRAM which is supposed to make up for that disadvantage. The PS4 has GDDR5 with a 256-bit bus, which is fine for the GPU. It's potentially a problem for the CPU though, due to high latency.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Wat.

Those are compute units to be exact, not compute shaders (each compute unit contains 64 shaders), but that's just semantics.

More importantly, I don't see what they have to do with the 7970M specifically. You could theorize that the GPUs are cut-down Pitcairns, but then Pitcairn is used in both 7970M, 7870, and 7850 (the latter two being desktop parts). But since they're on-die iGPUs, I really doubt that's the case. They're most likely custom-built chips. Low yields shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.

As for the memory, the Xbone has DDR3 which is low-bandwidth by GPU standards. They're including a small amount of eSRAM which is supposed to make up for that disadvantage. The PS4 has GDDR5 with a 256-bit bus, which is fine for the GPU. It's potentially a problem for the CPU though, due to high latency.
    Because they said they're slightly modded 7970Ms somewhere. Also it's what the devkits had/have in them. Basically it's the mobile pitcairn to fit it on the same die as the CPU.

EDIT: And yeah compute units not shaders, it was a typo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguineAngel View Post
    I think several people would be amazed at the large number of households that are not connected to the internet across the first world. I am soon to be without internet for several months myself. Huray for normal circumstances.

Always-online or forced connectivity once a day don't make a jot of difference. High speed stable internet connections are not something to be taken for granted. Even if they were I would still feel uncomfortable about having such restrictions placed on me arbitrarily. but they aren't.

ecat I love your post
    Definitely yea. I was without net for a couple of months between December and January, because BT were too busy to install a phone line. What with anywhere not on the coasts in the US having a really neglected telecommunications system, I can't help but feel MS have shot themselves in the foot.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Let's hope it's not an Xbox One hit wonder.

Eh? Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Let's hope it's not an Xbox One hit wonder.

Eh? Eh?
    You know why they call it an Xbox One? Because when you see it you do a one degree turn and, if you're suitably far away, walk right past it.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Banned
    As a long standing xbox fanboy (well, until Kinect came out and XBLA was abandoned) who bought both previous systems on launch...

I'm buying a PS4 on launch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguineAngel View Post
    I think several people would be amazed at the large number of households that are not connected to the internet across the first world.
    True enough; and even if the house has a working internet connection, its often limited to several rooms. As easy as it might sound to just lay down a router and some cables, when visiting neighbours and family I'm often amazed to find that this has not been done.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Because they said they're slightly modded 7970Ms somewhere. Also it's what the devkits had/have in them. Basically it's the mobile pitcairn to fit it on the same die as the CPU.

EDIT: And yeah compute units not shaders, it was a typo.
    Well... modded 7970M and modded 7870 are basically the same thing. Guess they just compared to what most people in their target demographic would be familiar with. Plus 7970M has a bigger number in it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Has there been any good Kinect games other than Dance Central and the 1-2 decent party games?

They sold quite a few of them, probably due to bundles and the novel but there seems to be the lack of much software between Kinect games and Sony Move games. The most interesting Kinect things are what people have been doing with it on the PC and non game utility. And it took people hobbyists to do that for Microsoft.

The dance minigame in Star Wars Kinect is the best game ever.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

What, a DRM check daily? This gen is looking quite grim already. I had wished that the DRM whazoos of PC would've stayed out of consoles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    As far as I know, it was easier to have a cracked xbox game, than PS game, so I'm kinda not surprised about the DRM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    You know why they call it an Xbox One? Because when you see it you do a one degree turn and, if you're suitably far away, walk right past it.
    *standing ovation*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    As far as I know, it was easier to have a cracked xbox game, than PS game, so I'm kinda not surprised about the DRM.
    It was initially but it became a lot more difficult, it mostly revolves around firmware flashing. Without going into too much detail for modern 360s you'd need steady hands and decent soldering skills, sometimes with a particular kind of SATA controller. The PS3 was harder to defeat but for end users it relied mostly on USB flash drives, so not that challenging (except for the crackers), but it also didn't keep pace with updates. Neither were particularly easy to crack, nowhere near as trivial as for the PC (in terms of end users, which is where the bulk of piracy is happening).
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Definitely yea. I was without net for a couple of months between December and January, because BT were too busy to install a phone line. What with anywhere not on the coasts in the US having a really neglected telecommunications system, I can't help but feel MS have shot themselves in the foot.
    I think that's the bigger problem in the "west" - connections going down, or being repaired, or moving house and waiting for things to get connected, or taking your console somewhere which doesn't have one, etc - rather than people just not having the internet full-stop. It is a gamble on MS' part, but not one I think will ultimately precipitate the downfall of the console. I'm more put off by the performance as it stands - the ps4 has potentially 50% more grunt for the same ús. Exclusively are another sticking point. I'm not down on MS franchises - Halo and Gears are ok for what they are (mindless cinematic shooters), and Forza has always been excellent - but they simply don't have as many as Sony. I don't know whether it's something MS either don't get, despite Balmers on-stage ranting , or aren't willing to pay for directly, but they need DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS.