Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,832

    The GFWL Salvage Situation

    Some games might be 'broken' unless developers / crackers / modders step in when GFWL suffers it's long overdue euthanasia. But many titles are already safe.

    Xliveless http://www.gtaforums.com/?showtopic=388658

    Saves GTA4 and Red Faction Guerilla, and most other solutions are based off the GTA4 'fix'. But often a steam version of the game will be the easiest to install and patch(rather than lack of needing to patch) .

    I'm going to try and collate a list later today but if anyone else has any links and suggestions of games that are already been saved and games that are yet to be rescued.

    List of all GFWL games(73?):
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._–_Live_titles
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England and Nowhere
    Posts
    1,235
    Dark Souls is the one that worries me.

  3. #3
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bobtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    567
    The GFWL shutdown still appears to be unofficial, just leaked by a deleted support update.

    Someone reputable told me that it's actually just the GFWL servers that are going to be rolled into MS' cloud platform, but the service will continue and the games won't just fail. If this is in fact the case, then they have simply disasterous PR. The marketplace is history, but the Live backend still has to exist for Xbox, so it does seem plausible. I hope new PC games won't be using GFWL anyhow.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    While very useful and I am glad for the link, should we really be linking to something that is essentially a crack?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,832
    A crack to a drm that isn't going to be supported.

    Are you serious?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    A crack to a drm that isn't going to be supported.

    Are you serious?
    And if/when it isn't, this becomes the "abandonware" issue which is a whole 'nother can of worms. But right now, GfwL is still functional, so all this is doing is bypassing DRM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  7. #7
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And if/when it isn't, this becomes the "abandonware" issue which is a whole 'nother can of worms. But right now, GfwL is still functional, so all this is doing is bypassing DRM.
    And that's bad because...?
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    GFWL is [...] functional
    You should do stand up.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    845
    On a brighter note, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet will soon be GFWL-less so that's one we don't have to worry about salvaging.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    And that's bad because...?
    Because it is still something that various groups can take legal action against. And traditionally, the individual is not attacked: the site where said activities are taking place is attacked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You should do stand up.
    Like it or not, the system works. It is a really shitty system that often needs a lot of time spent reading through shitty help documents to get working, but it works. And fortunately, even MS realized it is REALLY REALLY shitty and are going away from it. But until they actually kill the servers that let people authenticate their games in the "normal" manner, this is just bypassing DRM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  11. #11
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    845
    Well, stuff we know is being salvaged...

    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Bioshock 2
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

    Possibly being salvaged...

    Halo 2
    Arkham City

    I'd be very surprised if R* didn't do something with GTA IV, what with the impending release of GTAV and their love of being able to sell complete packs. It might not be fast but yeah.

    Fable III is probably on the critical list, GFWL is very embedded into it. All XBL functions were switched round to GFWL including the systems for entering your name and stuff. I'd like to hope we'll see it but it's a pretty big task.

    Not sure if Codies will make the effort so I'd probably err towards just writing all that off wholesale until anyone indicates otherwise. Namco don't have a great history for supporting stuff and there's a fair graveyard of lost iOS stuff where they wouldn't pay for updates and so the games have just disappeared (RIP Star Trigon, you were super fun)

    Bulletstorm is probably messy? That'd need Epic to fund People Can Fly or someone else to strip it out then EA to push the updates out. Might be a few too many steps there for anyone to bother but we can hope. I'm not hopeful though given the sales weren't all that in the end.

    Some of the stuff like Osmos and WoG were GFWL Marketplace only uses so at least we don't have to worry about those.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Well, stuff we know is being salvaged...

    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Bioshock 2
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

    Possibly being salvaged...

    Halo 2
    Arkham City

    I'd be very surprised if R* didn't do something with GTA IV, what with the impending release of GTAV and their love of being able to sell complete packs. It might not be fast but yeah.

    Fable III is probably on the critical list, GFWL is very embedded into it. All XBL functions were switched round to GFWL including the systems for entering your name and stuff. I'd like to hope we'll see it but it's a pretty big task.

    Not sure if Codies will make the effort so I'd probably err towards just writing all that off wholesale until anyone indicates otherwise. Namco don't have a great history for supporting stuff and there's a fair graveyard of lost iOS stuff where they wouldn't pay for updates and so the games have just disappeared (RIP Star Trigon, you were super fun)

    Bulletstorm is probably messy? That'd need Epic to fund People Can Fly or someone else to strip it out then EA to push the updates out. Might be a few too many steps there for anyone to bother but we can hope. I'm not hopeful though given the sales weren't all that in the end.

    Some of the stuff like Osmos and WoG were GFWL Marketplace only uses so at least we don't have to worry about those.
    I dunno, I suspect most of the devs just won't care, as Gfwl does support offline mode and the only reason to not use that is for achievements and multiplayer, both of which can be marked as "Not currently enabled".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,832
    Or saves, some games need online mode to save.

    *Might be wrong*
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Or saves, some games need online mode to save.

    *Might be wrong*
    My understanding is that you can either save offline or online, but can't switch once you choose.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  15. #15
    In the event of GFWL disappearing off the map for good, all of the games that have "SSA" listed here will (I think) no longer be able to be installed. This is because the installation process requires authentication with GFWL. Some games might let you install and play, but you won't be allowed to save your game.

    If you get a new PC, or update your hardware, or reinstall your OS, I think you might lose them.

    Now, some of them are going to be updated by the developers/publishers, and no doubt there will be work done by the community to get others working (as discussed earlier in the thread, there's already some headway been made with this for some games).

    There's also games which you will still be able to install and play, but you'll lose some features, some significant feautes like Multiplayer and access to DLC, and other less important (but still meaningful to some people) like Leaderboards and Achievements.

    Now even for stuff like Dark Souls (which I suspect From won't update, since the sequel will be out, and it was already pretty bare bones), there has been people successfully hacking it to get multiplayer without GFWL already, but you do lose out on the security features of GFWL stopping people cheating/glitching. People have achieved incredible things with software in the past, so who knows what people will do.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,298
    Indeed. The truly popular stuff will still live on.

    Hell, there is a group of people who managed to get Tribes 2 to work with a custom back-end that supports everything from the server browser to generating a key for your t-mail.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  17. #17
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    845
    Yup, Lewie's pretty much nailed it in the main. A number of the games are CD key/auth servers required in order to function -at all- not just for multiplayer so it's really not as simple as "you switch things off and magically it just works offline".

    There's also the matter that accounts are separated into online/offline accounts and there's no guarantees that either or both will continue to function once the service is shuttered. I know there's some crossover with XBLA/Windows accounts but it's been all over the shop really so no guarantees.

    If you've been running on an online profile previously and those servers are shut off, your previous saves will cease to be accessible. Which from what I gather from Fezgate is like THE WORST thing anyone can do short of shitting on your mum.

    With the market closed down, there'll be DLC left inaccessible in the future.(and unlike with, I dunno Burnout Paradise or something, there won't be a way to cheat the system into thinking you have the DLC already) Likely why there's a punt on for Bioshock 2 to have it removed because it might have been convoluted and horrible to do but at least you -could- purchase Minerva's Den.

    The switch off is going to cause a mess, no two ways about it. Thankfully, some people are salvaging things and I hope there'll be enough pressure (or sales incentive) for other titles to do the same.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,417
    I found a workaround to move save games between offline/online and between profiles in Arkham City with a little hex editing a while back when I had to move my saves to a new hard-drive and the GFWL cloud save system wasn't letting me do that. But if I can't even install Arkham City again I'd be a bit miffed.

    I'm worried about DLC authentication for Fallout 3, too; I'm not sure exactly how GFWL handled that. Was it EA style check-on-start or was it check-on-install for DLC permissions?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I found a workaround to move save games between offline/online and between profiles in Arkham City with a little hex editing a while back when I had to move my saves to a new hard-drive and the GFWL cloud save system wasn't letting me do that. But if I can't even install Arkham City again I'd be a bit miffed.

    I'm worried about DLC authentication for Fallout 3, too; I'm not sure exactly how GFWL handled that. Was it EA style check-on-start or was it check-on-install for DLC permissions?
    The Fallout Script extender pretty well solves the problem with FO3.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,191
    I wouldn't be surprised it the GFWL servers were taken down. They were not afraid to take down Xbox Live servers when they updated the service for 360. Wish they had kept the legacy service. RIP Crimson Skies, Halo 2 and Phantom Dust online play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •