Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Actually I can think of one gaming feature that would fundamentally change the gaming industry.

Allow usual keyboard+mouse to work on the game consoles. I am sure game consoles will become unchallenged platforms. Since by then game consoles will be able to do what PC cannot on gaming and no vice versa.

And it's not such a great change, I still don't understand why both Sony and MS are so hostile to WASD on game consoles.
    First, what can consoles do that PC's cannot?

Second, keyboard and mouse hasn't been used for consoles because it goes against the design of consoles. Keyboards and mouse are clunky, they require a dedicated space of their own. They're not great for using on a couch or sitting back in a chair, basically anywhere without a desk or something to rest them on. Joypads don't have that problem.

There have been some games before that let you use a Keyboard, but by and large most are designed around a set amount of buttons on a controller.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Only one but the most crucial factor: game consoles are generally affordable while gaming PCs are not.

It's a much better deal to buy a USD300 game console than a USD700 PC. PC is actually a productivity tool, it always is. It would be ideal to have a PC both for productive purpose and gaming, but I know most of PC gamers are just gamers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Only one but the most crucial factor: game consoles are generally affordable while gaming PCs are not.

It's a much better deal to buy a USD300 game console than a USD700 PC. PC is actually a productivity tool, it always is. It would be ideal to have a PC both for productive purpose and gaming, but I know most of PC gamers are just gamers.
    Nonsense, most PC users are productivity users.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Killzone is garbage. But the Resistance games were the best console shooters of the last generation.
    And I'm not just saying that because it had a level set in Grimsby of all places.

But really in terms of exclusives Sony wins without a fight. LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, Sly Cooper, Afrika, Gran Turismo, Disgaea, The Pixeljunk series, Valkyria Chronicles and Siren Bloodcurse.

When your only exclusive franchises are Halo, Forza and Gears of War aka the blandest game in each of their respective genre then that's... that's just fucking tragic.

@squirrel

If you think you have to spend £700 for a PC that can compare to the new Xbox one specs then you seriously need to change where you go shopping. Heck, if you don't include a monitor then you could buy that set up right now for about half that.
    Also, the price is rumored to be £400. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3318729.html
    Last edited by Bhazor; 22-05-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Nonsense, most PC users are productivity users.
    A PC for office work doesn't need 4GB ram to run smoothly, unless you start to play games.

A PC for office work doesn't need 4GB ram to run smoothly, unless you start to play games.
    So? It'd still take a $400 PC to get a smooth running office PC. At which point the cost of upgrading to a gaming PC is the same as buying a console.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

I don't think this needs to turn into a PC vs. consoles thread just yet. Maybe we can laugh at the Xbox Juan a bit more?

So? It'd still take a $400 PC to get a smooth running office PC. At which point the cost of upgrading to a gaming PC is the same as buying a console.
    Seriously? A USD300 Dell machine offered here is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    I don't think this needs to turn into a PC vs. consoles thread just yet. Maybe we can laugh at the Xbox Juan a bit more?
    Sorry, pressed "Sent" before reading this.

I wouldn't say it's turning into PC vs Console, it's just correcting someone who's wrong.

The cheapest of the cheap wouldn't touch with a 10 foot barge pole laptops here are around $425.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

The cheapest of the cheap wouldn't touch with a 10 foot barge pole laptops here are around $425.
    So that's the key point, you want laptop.

So that's the key point, you want laptop.
    Nah, even if you built a desktop that's the bare minimum price. There's no real difference in price at budget level between the form factors here.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Nah, even if you built a desktop that's the bare minimum price. There's no real difference in price at budget level between the form factors here.
    I am not talking about DIY, I am talking about Dell. Not to advertise for Dell, nor I actually think Dell is the most dependable (IBM PC was unchallenged, but IBM PCs are long gone), but Dell is with the most reliable after-sale service.

http://china.dell.com/cn/p/inspiron-...h&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I am not talking about DIY, I am talking about Dell. Not to advertise for Dell, nor I actually think Dell is the most dependable (IBM PC was unchallenged, but IBM PCs are long gone), but Dell is with the most reliable after-sale service.

http://china.dell.com/cn/p/inspiron-...h&s=dhs&~ck=mn
    Cheapest Dell PC. $421.26, doesn't include a monitor.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

I see that Dell is not offering same bundles universally......

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    neither do consoles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Work 99% of the time the moment you insert a disc and start playing. This has changed somewhat with games somtimes requiring an install or the latest OS update but Sony is putting on the PS4 where your game has a quick start up while it continues to install as you start playing.

The other day I installed Arkham Asylum GOTY from Steam. Wait for Steams directx installer first time startup. Launch game, get splash screen that allows me to adjust my settings before inside the game. Click Play. Nothing happens and Steam thinks I am not playing it anymore. Spend 30 minutes trying to find solution. Deleted and redownloaded the game. Works.

Better UI for a TV out of the box.

Then as stated, price is the biggest factor. You get a lot more power from a $300-$500 console than a $300-$500 PC. Thank you subsidies.

Work 99% of the time the moment you insert a disc and start playing.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Work 99% of the time the moment you insert a disc and start playing. This has changed somewhat with games somtimes requiring an install or the latest OS update but Sony is putting on the PS4 where your game has a quick start up while it continues to install as you start playing.
    Not really true any more. I've gotten plenty of xbox games before that required to be patched on day one. We've all heard by now about the epic struggle people had trying to play Resistance 3, which in some cases took over an hour to install. The consoles lost the "plug in and play" as soon as they got internet capabilities.

That thing the PS4 is doing, is something that Blizzards three games all do now and it was done years ago with Halo (or Halo 2) on the PC. You could play and it'd install the bits you needed first and then install the rest as you played.

The other day I installed Arkham Asylum GOTY from Steam. Wait for Steams directx installer first time startup. Launch game, get splash screen that allows me to adjust my settings before inside the game. Click Play. Nothing happens and Steam thinks I am not playing it anymore. Spend 30 minutes trying to find solution. Deleted and redownloaded the game. Works.
    This is something consoles do have less of a problem with certainly.

Better UI for a TV out of the box.
    Windows 8, Steam Big Picture and even Windows Media Centre are all fine UI's for a TV.

Then as stated, price is the biggest factor. You get a lot more power from a $300-$500 console than a $300-$500 PC. Thank you subsidies.
    Price is about the only one and it's something that you could argue that over time the console would cost more because console games always cost more money.

So the one thing people are saying a console can do now that a PC can't is be cheaper. USP's can never be "it's cheaper".
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    You're right about patching I guess, but what does it take on the 360 at the moment? Less than a minute? Even on super slow connections the updates are a few mb. Then there's the hardware issues, I know some PC games are more buggy than other, and there are buggy console games but generally you'll have a smoother time on console that you would on a PC, even if all it takes to fix the PC version is a driver update etc.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I feel like Microsoft are fighting a rearguard in the gaming market, which is a very strange position to deliberately place yourself in coming off a successful console. The target market seems to be mid-twenties American males who will pick up the latest CoD, but like to play sports and racing games and watch a fair amount of TV. That's a decent sized market, but it seems bizarre to restrict yourself to that. I realize we'll see more games at E3, but this is the first impression, and that matters. Most of the folk really paying attention to the announcement will be dedicated gamers, and I don't think the event spoke to them much at all.

I agree with some of the other talk I've heard and read- Microsoft don't want to compete with Sony, they want to compete with Apple and Google. They lack Apple's dab hand with marketing and Google's ubiquitous yet soft touch.