Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Note that the PS3 does actually take keyboard and mouse, not that any game devs bothered implementing controlling them. But for anyone interested you can slap any USB keyboards in and get typing.

Also another advantage on consoles for devs is being able to make better optimised code. But it only really applies to high end AAA devs.

Network Hub
    I think that there's a place for both consoles and PCs. Exclusives aside, consoles just work in a way that PCs can't, because they provide developers with a single, stable set of specs to work with. Which also means that you can get far better performance out of a $300 console than an equivalent PC. They also provide a better TV experience. And yes, you can hook up your PC to you television and use Big Picture or something, but most people don't have their computer in the same room as their TV, and would therefore have to buy an absurdly long HDMI cable (which can be surprisingly expensive) in order to do that.

As for the Xbox One: they didn't announce anything that excited me in the least. At this point, Sony has the better lineup of exclusives, they don't charge me for online multiplayer, and since the PS4's specs are similar to those of the One, I don't see the price gap between the two consoles being as huge as it was last generation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I didn't play it. Having said that, when I visited my brother a couple of weeks ago I played the demo of Ni No Kuni and that was fun. I have a broken PS3 I bought for £35 on hopes I could fix it, but the idiot just whacked it in the oven and melted all the thermal pads. No hope :(
    Off topic. But that is not how you fix first gen PS3s. I've hand fixed 2 already (second needed a second reflow, but that was because I forgot to reapply the thermal paste properly :P ).

On topic... has everyone stopped laughing at MS yet? I think my sides hurt...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Off topic. But that is not how you fix first gen PS3s. I've hand fixed 2 already (second needed a second reflow, but that was because I forgot to reapply the thermal paste properly :P ).

On topic... has everyone stopped laughing at MS yet? I think my sides hurt...
    Oh I know, fixed a few myself, which is why I picked up the broken one. The girl that owned it before me put it in the oven lol
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lol. No comment. :P

Honestly, I know no better way to destroy your market share in Gaming than releasing a media box. Look at the history. PS3 gets penetration (ooh err missus) as a media center device AS WELL as gaming, because it does the gaming first. Everyone else I know gets a smart TV or Blueray player, not a PS3. So MS either needed a dedicated media box (Xbox Lite, no gameplay chip) or a really nice Xbox full fat with games, and hope to get the media market off the back of it.

Going in with a limp toaster will not succeed. In all honesty, the hardware is ok, but then again the competitors can top the hardware easily. The only place I can see them trying to compete was with the service. And "TV" is a dead and some what broken service in this day and age. :/

A Nextbox utilizing Smart Glass well makes the Wii U even less appealing, doesn't it?

Also, STOP REQUIRING GOLD XBL ACCOUNTS TO STREAM NETFLIX. It's ridiculous, Microsoft. I understand that you charge kiddos to pwn nubs in teh halocods, but don't insult the rest of us by charging to stream something that already has a subscription.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    A PC for office work doesn't need 4GB ram to run smoothly, unless you start to play games.
    You know nothing Jon Snow
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    You know nothing Jon Snow
    Depends on your office job. Programming I need 12GB in my machine currently. Dicking around in HR or Legal, 4GB is overkill. Fuck it give them raspberry pis and open office.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Oh I know, fixed a few myself, which is why I picked up the broken one. The girl that owned it before me put it in the oven lol
    Guess she thought it was a graphics card.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Depends on your office job. Programming I need 12GB in my machine currently. Dicking around in HR or Legal, 4GB is overkill. Fuck it give them raspberry pis and open office.
    That's a cruel thing to do even for those in HR... give them at least the min for the OS, which is around 1-2gb these days. Using old P4 systems with less than 1gb is a real pain. Although Win 7 and above with a basic PC is ok these days. :)
    Once the XboxJuan is out, I'm gonna spec up a 8 core nano PC and see if I can out do it. Probably not on the cost though. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Using old P4 systems with less than 1gb is a real pain. Although Win 7 and above with a basic PC is ok these days. :)
    Once the XboxJuan is out, I'm gonna spec up a 8 core nano PC and see if I can out do it. Probably not on the cost though. :P
    PS4.jpg

I did "PS4" sortoff. I think PS3 was around 600 dollars at release in DownUnder.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Xbone is going to be Steam with the possibility of selling your games:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ne-in-xbox-one

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained."The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.
    "The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today."
    "We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store," Harrison said. "We're not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course."
    Harrison would not be drawn on how this worked, even as I suggested various scenarios. For example, I asked whether you would need to pay for the second-hand disc at a storeand then pay a fee to Microsoft when you got home, a bit like an Online Pass. Harrison wouldn't be drawn.
    "Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."
    He is basically saying you are no longer buying a physical disc anymore, you are buying a one time use license that is tied to your account. He just won't say it in a direct and clear way. And they are basically lieing to our face. How is it like how it works today? I can take Halo to a friends, play it offline, leave it with it where he can then be playing on his own profile and own ranking.

Also, you will be required to install the entire game now? While long load times sucked due to disc reads it has the advantage of popping it in and playing. I like the games with optional partial installs to improve load times. The new Blu-Ray drives have faster read speeds.

They just need to come out and say it. Our system is like Steam, Deal with it.™

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Bring back cartridges, I say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    PS4.jpg

I did "PS4" sortoff. I think PS3 was around 600 dollars at release in DownUnder.
    Not too bad. For 2 reasons. 1) it's a pro motherboard etc, where as the PS4 will be dirt cheap stuff. If you got the cheapest of the cheapest and a $10 PSU it might shave $100 off. :P
    I'd not get that, but it's what your getting in a console (ahem, RROD and YLOD).

2) A PC does a lot more, even with just "linux on" (as we are talking consoles, I'll skip the Windows and try and keep it a little even). Try programming or doing your homework on an Xbox/PS4. So that's at least $100 or $200 from the "school/college/work" or general PC fund.

So yeah, if you don't have a PC, make a Xbox/PS4 equivalent one and put it under the TV. If you have a PC, then the outlay of a Graphics card/upgrade (unless it's a Dell, you know they remove expansion slots :P ), is still cheaper than getting a console for most people.

Not that this is a console wars. But that I see very little offered in the video presentation for the Xbox, that someone with a laptop/PC and a sky box does not already have. :/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Zephro: Actually, Unreal Tournament 3 supported mouse & keyboard on PS3 ;)

It's I think the only one, but it happened!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ahhh thought I remembered something about the PS2... same on the PS3, some games allow them for emblem design etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. The various Unreal Tournaments for the Sony consoles have all supported mouse and keyboard. It is just that people didn't really see the point
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

There is nothing stopping console developers releasing third party controllers like a K&B, I mean who can forget Rez which came (a ha) with a set of vibrators or the infiinite number of fucking guitar hero games. Or the old Steel Batallion games that came with a full cockpit that would have most PC sim fans excusing themselves to go to the bathroom. With a copy of Rez.

“People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    @Zephro: Actually, Unreal Tournament 3 supported mouse & keyboard on PS3 ;)

It's I think the only one, but it happened!
    DUST 514 does too.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus