1 1.61%
  • Educate them!

59 95.16%
  • Rage Quit

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Are you kind to noobs?

If you are playing a game online of any kind, then you are likely to come across new or inexperienced players. The more teamwork a game requires, the more likely you will need to "deal" with their lack of ability. Usually you get 3 choices:
    - Kick him
    - Educate him
    - Rage Quit

The former is sadly chosen the most, which is often foolish mistake considering educating a person can achieve a surprising results over a short period of time.
    (I once taught a guy in L4D2 versus how to deathcharge, which directly resulted in him succeeding where I had failed. Took about 30 sec to tell him how and where to do it.)

Kicking a noob can be justified if you are a more serious player however being mean or vulgar about it can not.

So the question is: are you kind to noobs? Also include stories, could be heartwarming (or disturbing) viewing.

Sorry about the lack of options. Remember that this assumes that you can no longer ignore their inexperience
    Last edited by Wunce; 16-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I don't typically play multiplayer because I hate people. Problem solved! Oh except for Jedi Academy where I took a Padawan.

Use the uppercut, Luke.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 16-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    You're saying encountering a new player requires action on my part.

Not so, my friend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    If the new player is a friend, or asking specifically for help then I'd be helpful, otherwise I generally focus on my own thing. A game like Left4Dead is a bit different because it's such a small team focused game and your fates are inextricably linked to one another, that communicating and giving advice and encouragement is almost neccessary whoever you're playing with.

But 90% of the time in most multiplayer games, I'm focusing more on how I'm doing and how I'm contributing to the team, rather than trying to babysit someone else.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    No I'm pretty hard on myself.

Yes, there's a missing option there which is just to not bat an eyelid. I don't care if there's a new person around unless they're actively making the game worse, in which case I'll wait for someone else to jump in and help them before considering if I want to find a new server.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I do think people can be to hard on people who aren't as good on the game as other people, I do have to say people take it a little to serious sometimes. I have been kicked a lot because I am not very good. Take a chill pill, its only a fecking game, I'm there enjoying myself whether I win or lose because I am having fun. I think people who ar kicking noobs or rage quitting have lost their fun gland.

Pretty much what Jockie said.
    Generally I mind my own business, but I'm not rude to noobs. If one asks for help I usually help them.

Activated Node
    As long as they aren't being obnoxious, I'll always give them a hand. Played WoW for about six months last year, had no idea what I was doing... but people were nice to me, got settled in with a really friendly guild.

For the most part, people really appreciate a bit of help or advice, and it not only helps them, but the community as a whole.

In WoW I don't tend to do PUGs so any newbs I encounter are out in the world while questing on low-level alts. If I encounter a newb I am more than happy to lend them a hand/advice if they're not rude.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    You forgot the blood bowl option, which is MERCILESSLY CRUSH THEM BENEATH YOUR SPIKY BOOTS.

(Not really.)

(A little bit)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I only chose "educate them" because there's no option for ignoring them. I don't think it's fair to be rude to people who are just starting to learn the game. If, on the other hand, they're obnoxious and blame everybody else for their inexperience, then I really don't care what happens to them.

On a more serious note, this is exactly why I hate L4D versus mode. Someone has a bad round, the team rages and rage-kicks, and that's it, the game is ruined for everyone.

Activated Node
    Oh the option for ignoring them is left off because I'm talking about when you absolutely must deal with the problem. Most people will default to ignore until it becomes unbearable, then they take action.

Of course the time it takes for it to become unbearable differs depending on the game and the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    A noob is not a newbie.
    Most people I know use it to mean "inexperienced player". I believe that's what the dictionary meaning is also (yes I'm pretty sure some dictionary admitted it).
    Last edited by Wunce; 16-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A noob is not a newbie.
    A noob is a player that is unable of learn, and unable to follow other players suggestions/ideas/strategies, etc...

1)- Be rude and kick
    It can be rude, buf if is a noob, and not a newbie, it will save you time and frustration.

2)- Be kind and kick/ ask them to leave
    Ask then to leave will probbaly achieve nothing. Useless option.

3)- Educate them!
    Useless option. A noob is a noob because will never learn.

4)- Rage Quit
    This will save your time and frustration.

If you can't kick a noob, quit. Or if you can, Ignore him.

Newbies are a different type, and you *MUST* tolerate then, and try to help then. At least 3 or 4 times a day :D
    Is the chain of life. you help some people, and wen these people become vet, will help other people, and so on.

noob: kick or quit.
    newbie: help then as much as you can.

Tei is wise in this as in all things.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    A noob is not a newbie.
    I'm pretty sure you're the only man in the world to make that distinction.

As for the original poster, I'd agree that the options are too restrictive -- nonetheless I will always help newbies if I can, heck, I'll spend hours teaching people to chamber in Mount & Blade : Warband for instance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm not Ctrl-Alt-Del's biggest fan, but...

"Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

First, I don't like using the term 'noob', as I find it derogatory in nature.

If someone asks for help, then I usually answer them. I think sometimes it is worth sacrificing a few minutes of your own playtime for the good of a community. Everybody was new at some stage or another.

My online game of choice is Team Fortress 2, so there's quite the influx of new players with the new Free to play model. Strangely enough, I haven't seen a whole load of requests for help though.

However, one particular incident left me a bit ashamed of myself. I was in a bad mood on one particular game of Gold Rush. A new guy piped up in general chat and asked what the objective of the game was. I told him it was to collect hats. In retrospect, it probably was a half truth. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Farcelet View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're the only man in the world to make that distinction.
    Pretty sure it's a distinction that I've heard made on many previous occasions, not always using those labels mind...
    Last edited by Rii; 16-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Obscure Node
    I've lost touch with the internet.