1 1.61%
  • Educate them!

59 95.16%
  • Rage Quit

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    However, one particular incident left me a bit ashamed of myself. I was in a bad mood on one particular game of Gold Rush. A new guy piped up in general chat and asked what the objective of the game was. I told him it was to collect hats. In retrospect, it probably was a half truth. ;)
    I hope this was the worst of your crimes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcelet View Post
    I've lost touch with the internet.
    Oh.
    Read again the RFC's, the jargon file and the USENET netiquette guidelines. The bash.org quotes are optional, but you will not get jokes about wizard hats. If you want to extend your internet culture, try to read the BOFH diaries.

These are the classics.

just kidding...

Calling newbies "noobs" started as a joke. Like how two black people can call each another nigger. From there, the use of noob for newbie extended to a lot of communities, so I am sure theres a lot of people that can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by Tei; 16-08-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcelet View Post
    I've lost touch with the internet.
    Apparently I have as well. I guess they are pronounced the same and most people I know just use the context to say whether it is derogatory or simply a statement of inexperience.

Hopefully it goes the way of "Stadium" which plural is now accepted as both the old "Stadia" and "Stadiums". (according to chrome's spell checker that word doesn't exist, my old ass dictionary says otherwise)

Heh, check out the nubs who don't know the diffference between noobs and newbs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I'm kind to newbs. I'm mean to noobs.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I know some people are new to MP games, but sometimes they are so incompetent that it pisses you off.

It only ever annoys me in TF2, mainly because the tutorials suck or are not existent for half of the classes. Stuff like airblast putting out team mates that are on fire. That's barely explained in the game and I think it's only ever mentioned in a tooltip. That and joining a random server and half your team consists of spies and snipers.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I would be rude and kick......because I am noob too.

No I dont mean to be rude to unskilled teammates. Actually I dont think you can tell from first glance whether your partner is skilled or not. The bottom line, one have to respect teamwork. No kidding, I saw people team kill others because they "stand in his way". I would team kill him in return, "educate him" what does it mean by "standing in one's way. I guess temper is really what tells if one is a noob or not.

Maybe it's for the fact I dont belongs to any game group, I dont feel the burden of consequences from kicking someone. I dont know, maybe someday I would anger someone who's crazy enough to track my IP, fly to my country, and shoot real boom boom to me? Anyway, I would take my chances before that day comes, hahahaha. (Wait a minute, how can you track me? I play in Internet Bars. Want to track me? Tell ISPs here to provide better service, my machine is anxious to start some great work online!)

Wait, is that why publishers tend to remove LAN support these days, so that no gamers will argue with each other face to face, hurting someone, then blame the publishers for publishing a game that leads to a fight in real world?

Educate them of course! I do come across a lot of 'noobs' as defined by Tei though, so I don't tend to push as hard as I used to. If they're keen to learn, great, I'll help them out. If they're non-responsive, experience has taught me to save my time and patience.

Activated Node
    Honestly, it depends how they are acting. If they are just honest little noobs with questions or who are clearly misguided, I will try to help them out. But if they are griefing in any way then hell no. Kick them.

Activated Node
    Good god, people still use that word?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Leach View Post
    'Noob' is by far the most inoffensive term I've been wont to use. From the noobs in BC2 who pile up as camping snipers as offense on a Rush map, to the noobs in WoW who have yet to figure out why aggro is important to a tank, I have no sympathy and no quarter will be given.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Leach View Post
    Don't have a cow, man.

Some of my best experiences on-line were in TF2 while a newb with people kindly teaching me to play. I try to be like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunce View Post
    Apparently I have as well. I guess they are pronounced the same and most people I know just use the context to say whether it is derogatory or simply a statement of inexperience.
    Pronounced the same hardly! If someone is a newb you must say it like it looks -- "neewwwwwwwb" -- and they will know you're being nice. =P But if you say "nooooooooob" they will know you're being harsh.

Anyway, yes, poll needs a "keep playing like nothing ever happened" option.

Isn't everyone who starts playing a game a 'noob'/'newb' at some point? If all 'newbs' got kicked off servers or out of games without anyone trying help or educate them, we'd have some pretty empty servers around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I've tried educating in the past, but if I'm honest I think a lot of 'noobs' (Not 'newbs' - I see them as different things) don't really care for playing things right. They're content to spam things or play in their own way regardless of their team, their level or whatever it is.

Sometimes they don't know, and it's an honest mistake, and those people tend to respond positively. The others? You've got a greater chance of getting laid in a Women's Institute than you have of getting a positive reception from them.

My policy is just to treat everyone the same, assuming I'm playing online (Which is rare). Most of the time it's not worth the hassle trying to help people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Didn't choose anything since it depends entirely on the situation.

If we take something like WoW as an example, if you're doing a 5-man and someone doesn't know the tactics or every intricacy of how their class works, just give them some friendly pointers or explain encounters. If on the other hand you're doing something like a difficult raid that requires certain gear or experience where the problem can't be quickly resolved, be kind and explain why and give them a friendly boot/ask them to leave. If someone is being rude and obnoxious I'll just silently kick them.

It depends, really. I have two major points of reference here, both the L4D games and TF2. In L4D, I tend to be a lot more tolerant of people than some of my friends. I'll give advice if someone doesn't seem to know what they're doing, and try to get people to work together as a team. If it helps and people are happy about it, that's great. But if they stay terrible, make no response, no reaction whatsoever, I get much less lenient. If they cuss me out or something for trying to help, then we have a major problem. There will be some kicking occurring. Still, it's not a "educate or kick" choice. It's "educate, see if it helps, then kick if it doesn't."

With TF2, it doesn't really matter. One newbie isn't going to be a problem. I'll still help out with tips (extinguish with the flamethrower. Do this to do that better.) or answer questions, but it's not worth kicking someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Didn't choose anything since it depends entirely on the situation.

If we take something like WoW as an example, if you're doing a 5-man and someone doesn't know the tactics or every intricacy of how their class works, just give them some friendly pointers or explain encounters. If on the other hand you're doing something like a difficult raid that requires certain gear or experience where the problem can't be quickly resolved, be kind and explain why and give them a friendly boot/ask them to leave. If someone is being rude and obnoxious I'll just silently kick them.
    A PuG is a four-letter word. You can only take so much: Here's a little something from a guy from my server.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl