• Be kind and kick/ ask them to leave

1 1.61%
  • Educate them!

59 95.16%
  • Rage Quit

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    you know what, all my fun of LOTRO was with PUGs so sometimes they aren't terrible and you meet some nice people that way which you form relationships and guilds with.

I put down "educate them" simply because I rarely play any MP games without people that I know. So, generally, if I am playing with some newbs, they are my friends and I'll educate them. Or I'm the newb and they'll educate me. I played LoL for a little while, and I felt like I was sharing the internet with depraved sadists. Wasn't really my thing...

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    It is so awful to play a game where people have no patience for sub-optimal play. How do you expect to foster a large enough community that the game lasts for more than a few months?

I played Lord of the Rings Online for a while, and I thought that the community was really great. No one insulted me for asking questions, the player economy was both logical and lively, and it was generally painless to interact with people. I never saw anyone acting insane in the starter areas, but I did see higher level players occasionally hanging out in low level zones. I remember coming across a party of dwarves who were just chatting while their bard played some tunes, and another time I saw a party of elves atop their mounts, their high-end gear glimmering and their cloaks flowing in the breeze. Never played another game where I could so easily spot and admire with envy a more powerful player, and where said players weren't huge jerkasses for no particular reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    It is so awful to play a game where people have no patience for consistent, unrepentant sub-optimal play.
    Fixed your post for you.

And it's awful to waste an hour of your time confirming suspicions you had in the first five minutes because you were too polite to kick or quit. Willingness to learn is one thing, and I'm pretty sure we're all patient when it comes to that, but a consistent river of BAD does a lot to make one bitter about the general public.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Totally depends on the game, for example, if it were Project Reality, I'd totally be up for educating them so long as they listen and take some of it in, as that was the position I was in when i first started playing, I was a total newb, but one or two rounds of playing and chatting with my squad made the game so much fun.

However, if it is a simple game in comparison, say, Bad company 2, i Don't really understand how people can really be "newbs"... I mean, apart from learning the uses of destruction/spotting... there isn't really anything else to learn if you have played just about any FPS ever...

And that goes for all genres with me pretty much, if i think the game requires some learning to play, I'm happy to teach.

Noob doesn't actually usually equal Tei's explanation, although it should. Noob is rarely used correctly like that, it's usually used by dickheads who are angry that someone else hasn't played the game as much as they have. But, I would say both definitions stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweedums View Post
    However, if it is a simple game in comparison, say, Bad company 2
    Yeah, you really don't wanna be the guy complaining on party chat, "Hey guys, we might actually have a fighting chance of winning if you stop sitting at the spawn in your ghillies taking potshots or ganking one another over who gets to fly the Huey. Just sayin'," because nobody's ever turned a game around by complaining on party chat.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Yeah, you really don't wanna be the guy complaining on party chat, "Hey guys, we might actually have a fighting chance of winning if you stop sitting at the spawn in your ghillies taking potshots or ganking one another over who gets to fly the Huey. Just sayin'," because nobody's ever turned a game around by complaining on party chat.
    And thats what I would call being a "noob" as opposed to a newb... you cant teach those people anything, cos they know how to play the game, they just decide not to play well, or as a team.... I would not give these people my time to try and educate them, I'd probably just ignore them as complaining in chat merely gets rude responses 95% of the time and solves nothing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Given I assume this question is addressing newbies, new players who are willing and able to take advice and up their skill, then, yes, I'll help when I can.

I'll often suggest something to low-level players in Frozen Synapse if they are clearly not using a tactic which is making my turns really easy.

And whilst I love a bit or arsing about, obnoxious pricks who just want to piss about at the expense of other players' enjoyment can fuck right off.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    It is so awful to play a game where people have no patience for sub-optimal play. How do you expect to foster a large enough community that the game lasts for more than a few months?

I played Lord of the Rings Online for a while, and I thought that the community was really great. No one insulted me for asking questions, the player economy was both logical and lively, and it was generally painless to interact with people. I never saw anyone acting insane in the starter areas, but I did see higher level players occasionally hanging out in low level zones. I remember coming across a party of dwarves who were just chatting while their bard played some tunes, and another time I saw a party of elves atop their mounts, their high-end gear glimmering and their cloaks flowing in the breeze. Never played another game where I could so easily spot and admire with envy a more powerful player, and where said players weren't huge jerkasses for no particular reason.
    I remember the Anarchy Online community turning up en masse in the start areas with their high level characters when it became one of the first big F2P MMOs. They were generally very friendly and welcoming, doling out advice and showering money and items on the new players. Obviously their gear wasn't as shiny as in LOTRO because it wasn't a graphically beautiful game, but as one of my first MMO experiences it was pretty heartening.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    I tend to just kick noobs. If there's one thing I detest, it's unwillingness to learn and inability to see one's own faults.

Now, newbies on the other hand. I've rarely had bad experiences teaching them, so I'll gladly explain unintuitive gameplay elements or anything else you can't read up on with a quick search. I tend to be rather verbose too and have often helped people into a game over the span of days or weeks.

By the way, I tend to be irritated when people call every newbie a noob. Dismissing every new person so quickly is pretty rude.

(Yes, I know that nowadays people don't care about differentiated words and gladly use lag/fps or newbie/noob whenever it's most inappropriate. Doesn't mean I have to do it though.)
    Last edited by Batolemaeus; 17-08-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    It can be very frustrating to play a game like TF2 in a situation where a lot of your team is significantly worse than the enemy team, because you often end up spawn-camped and unable to enjoy the game. It's not too bad when the teams get scrambled, but some people are strangely resistant to team scrambling (probably they either enjoy the mindless slaughter or they're all in a clan and want to play together). In a situation like that I'll usually just quit and find another server, I'm not interested in trying to teach people how to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    It can be very frustrating to play a game like TF2 in a situation where a lot of your team is significantly worse than the enemy team, because you often end up spawn-camped and unable to enjoy the game. It's not too bad when the teams get scrambled, but some people are strangely resistant to team scrambling (probably they either enjoy the mindless slaughter or they're all in a clan and want to play together). In a situation like that I'll usually just quit and find another server, I'm not interested in trying to teach people how to play.
    I find mindless slaughter almost as unsatisfying as being curbstomped in team games. Sure, it's good for a laugh, but a decent challenge is far more fun. Clan/guild/pre-made vs pug is not all that fun for either side.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    We don't find it fun, but enough people do it that I can only assume they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Indeed, spawn camping/being spawn camped is incredibly dull after about a minute, because neither side can actually do anything, and the lot that are attacking will rarely, if ever decide "alright lads, lets pull back and let them out so we can all play" because theres always some people who want to use the opportunity to get some easy kills.

I think that sort of thing ought to be dealt with by having good map design though. There should either be a "no-go zone" of some sort for the attackers, to let the defenders spread out, or there should be enough exits from the spawn that the attackers can never cover them all well enough to get a containment going on. Also things like higher ground/cover around the spawn should help those trying to escape, to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweedums View Post
    I think that sort of thing ought to be dealt with by having good map design though. There should either be a "no-go zone" of some sort for the attackers, to let the defenders spread out, or there should be enough exits from the spawn that the attackers can never cover them all well enough to get a containment going on. Also things like higher ground/cover around the spawn should help those trying to escape, to do so.
    Exactly. No matter how wide open the map is, if there's only one spawn point and it's in a tight location, it can be abused.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Activated Node
    Whether a server is plagued by insufferable people, noobs or otherwise, or the teams are stacked, I just leave and find a better server. I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to organize any rebalancing effort on the chat because it never works on a random server. That's exactly why playing on a well admined community server is so much more fun. If people feel that the general level of behaviour is higher, they'll usually be more friendly and patient themselves.

Playing with voice comms also gives you more time to actually help out the inexperienced players with a tip or two. I usually treat low level teammates just like I treat anyone else: give them ammo/health and a chance to respawn and advance as a team. If they are not interested I ignore them and go on my own. I also try to follow the same logic if I'm new to a game. I'll follow the more experienced guys and try to learn something along the way.

Activated Node
    I help newbies and people genuinely interested in learning a certain game's mechanics.

I despise noobs who are just rude and can't type for ****.

I don't understand the words that you people are typing (I think I got 'ganked' once in the 90's at school but I never told anyone), but it's heartening to see that most people here help new players.

L4D is my favourite (the only) online game I play because if you get rubbish people or dickheads, they actually fit quite nicely into the storyline of the 'movie' just as much as heroes or sacrificial people do. I love it.

Worse for me are not nubez or whatever, but hardcore players. Like a lot of people on this thread I play to have fun, which might be, say, getting stuck upstairs with someone hopelessly fighting the zombie hoard with a baseball bat until we are overwhelmed. Not 4 people sitting still in a glitched cupboard until they've killed all the zombies that clip through a certain wall.

Sometimes I get called a neube not for being dickish, but simply for not knowing or not exploiting every last glitch, design flaw or nook and cranny of a level. That really gets my goat!

I helped train some noobs in sword fighting on Mount and Blade and always tell tell people how to blow up cover in Frozen Synapse if it seems they don't know how to, so I guess I land in the help educate them area.