2 3.23%
  • Be kind and kick/ ask them to leave

1 1.61%
  • Educate them!

59 95.16%
  • Rage Quit

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Demonstrate some ability to learn and communicate and I'll gladly educate you:
    noob: "Hi, I'm new to the game, let me know if I'm doing something wrong, ok?"
    me: "Sure, no worries".

But if you don't, get the fuck out of my group/guild/game:
    noob: *runs in while half the group is still zoning in, pulls 6 elites, panics and runs around headlessly, pulling half the zone*
    noob: "hael me!!11 *dies* wtf healer!?!?!"
    me: *kick+ignore*
    --

Quote Originally Posted by P7uen View Post
    I don't understand the words that you people are typing (I think I got 'ganked' once in the 90's at school but I never told anyone), but it's heartening to see that most people here help new players.

L4D is my favourite (the only) online game I play because if you get rubbish people or dickheads, they actually fit quite nicely into the storyline of the 'movie' just as much as heroes or sacrificial people do. I love it.

Worse for me are not nubez or whatever, but hardcore players. Like a lot of people on this thread I play to have fun, which might be, say, getting stuck upstairs with someone hopelessly fighting the zombie hoard with a baseball bat until we are overwhelmed. Not 4 people sitting still in a glitched cupboard until they've killed all the zombies that clip through a certain wall.

Sometimes I get called a neube not for being dickish, but simply for not knowing or not exploiting every last glitch, design flaw or nook and cranny of a level. That really gets my goat!
    Completely agree on the hardcore being worse. I tend to leave the server if there's someone like that.

My approach to obviously-new players in SC2 is to be polite and well-mannered, and beat them as quickly and efficiently as possible. Does that count as educating them?

Edit: I do find it amusing to encounter people who choose nicks like "TheDemon" or "igoturmum", trash talk at the start of the match, then ragequit when my light 3-gate pressure stomps all over their base at the six minute mark... I guess they must be "noobs".
    Last edited by Krans; 18-08-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krans View Post
    My approach to obviously-new players in SC2 is to be polite and well-mannered, and beat them as quickly and efficiently as possible. Does that count as educating them?
    Totally. Keeping the teabagging to an absolute minimum of once or twice a kill should show them how much you respect them and appreciate their potential to improve!

Edit: Owait, SC2. What's the RTS equivalent of teabagging? Perhaps surrounding his almost-dead base with zerglings?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What's the RTS equivalent of teabagging? Perhaps surrounding his almost-dead base with zerglings?
    Constructing buildings (in particular "town centres", i.e. command centre, nexus or hatchery) in your opponents main base.

But that's really BM (bad manner) and generally frowned upon.

Network Hub
    I find that I tend to just suck up "noobishness" and try to help regardless of attitude. I've had people rage at me for beating them in games, only to see a change in attitude once I give out advice that helps a player rather than just giving back more rage. Raging back just makes things worse. Even if they don't learn... it's just a silly video game at the end of the day. It's not like I'm earning a living from it or anything.

I agree. Raging at "noobs" doesn't help in any way. Staying calm and getting on with playing as well as you can is the key.

There are circumstances that are exceptionally rage-inducing, though. For example, "back in the day" when I used to play CS 1.3, there were a few players who regularly appeared on the same server as me who would habitually gun down players on the same team at the spawn point just because they could.

Activated Node
    My response varies depending on the mood I'm in, but when I was an admin on my brother-in-law's servers I generally give them one warning then permaban. Easy solution. If I'm not an admin I just mute n' shoot.

As for genuine newbies, I generally try to give them a few tips if they're willing to learn. Some of my fondest memories were my being obliterated by someone in a 1v1 match on C&C Generals and then getting a message from my opponent with an offer to teach me how to survive and deflect rushing. I also made a few friends by helping people out in games like Garry's Mod, Terraria, and Minecraft.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krans View Post
    There are circumstances that are exceptionally rage-inducing, though. For example, "back in the day" when I used to play CS 1.3, there were a few players who regularly appeared on the same server as me who would habitually gun down players on the same team at the spawn point just because they could.
    But there are so many more creative ways to sow chaos! Like on servers where FF is on, spamming flashbangs and P90s in close quarters.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen