Network Hub

Games being removed from steam

Hi guys

Recently I've been using steam and buying quite a few games. Anyway it got me thinking what happens if they start removing some of the games I've bought from steam. Where does that leave me? I understand that various titles have gone like dragon age 2, crysis 2, Alice etc. I know it isn't a massive problem at the moment but as sales are going moreso digital each publisher is going to try and keep all the money for themselves with their own online digital sales systems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    If you have EA titles on Steam that have been removed, you should just be able to redeem the keys on Origin and you'll be able to use that to download/install them. I know it doesn't address the issue at hand, but it is good to know there's that safeguard there.

I think your point is one that's going to be very important, however. With something like Steam, it's a case of your game may be effectively broken by them removing it. What about future updates? DLC? Downloading/installing them? How would they handle that for games they've removed? Some games have patches or content that works only for the Steam version of a game, so what happens if Steam removes one of those games? How does the user continue to update and add on to their game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No games have been "removed" from Steam.
    They're just no longer available to buy.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    What about future updates? DLC? Downloading/installing them? How would they handle that for games they've removed? Some games have patches or content that works only for the Steam version of a game, so what happens if Steam removes one of those games? How does the user continue to update and add on to their game?
    There's several games where DLC, patches and add-ons are not available for the Steam version, and several where they're only available for the Steam version. It's generally worthwhile checking such things before you buy it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    No games have been "removed" from Steam.
    They're just no longer available to buy.
    This. The games are still available to download and play as before.