Witcher 1: Ending (Spoilers obviously)

I just finished this last night. I loved this game. I got a little bored in Act 2 and left the game for a while but by Zeus did I enjoy the rest of it!

A thread like this has probably beend one before, but I was just interested to see how this played out for everyone else. I ended up taking the neutral path, killing Siegfried and letting Yaevinn live. I was always on the brink of siding with the Squirrels but couldn't condone the hostage taking. When Toruviel took Alvin in Murky Water I made getting him out my number one priority and let the Order and Squirrels kill each other. I really wanted non-human rights etc. but felt vindicated when I met Zoltan in Act V and he derided both sides.

Really interesting that the Grand Master was most likely Alvin. Not sure if his dialogue at the end is directly linked to what you say to Alvin and if it changes accordingly, but it was such a cool subtle bombshell to build in to the narrative.

I felt that the pacing of the build up to the end, and the appearance of various characters from along the way was a nice concept, even if I did actually save Celina in Murky Water and she still turned up as the weird blue Corpse bride thingy.

Anyone else like/dislike the way this finished up?
    Last edited by Skeletor68; 16-08-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Really interesting that the Grand Master was most likely Alvin. Not sure if his dialogue at the end is directly linked to what you say to Alvin and if it changes accordingly, but it was such a cool subtle bombshell to build in to the narrative.
    This was what elevated the game for me from awesome to transcendent. It's not merely OMG TWIST ENDING, but rather it's an ending that unexpectedly causes one to reframe their entire game experience to date in light of this new knowledge. In a game that thrives on that feeling of gnawing doubt as to the road not taken, it's the pièce de résistance. The final cherry on top is that the game doesn't hammer you over the head with it - you can miss it entirely if you're not paying attention, which is emblematic of the its unusual faith in and respect for the player.

I followed your path in my first aka honest play-through, incidentally.
    Last edited by Rii; 16-08-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Yeah, Grand Master's dialogue changes according to what you say to Alvin and the Celina thing is a bug, she appears like that even if you save her.

I enjoyed the ending as well, the 'twist' was excellent. I personally sided with the Order because whilst I fully support equal rights, the way the Squirrels behaved was a bit too anarchistic and violent to my tastes. Not that Order is saintly in the slightest but they didn't leave as bad a taste in my mouth as the Squirrels did. Plus I kinda warmed up to Siegfried, one of the few characters in the game that acted like a friend to Geralt. I don't know if I missed out on something interesting by not dueling with Death in the end, I just couldn't be bothered to fight another boss immediately after one and so I just let him take the Grand Master. Overall a satisfactory end that gave a nice, proper sense of closure and completion which is rare in games these days.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Activated Node
    Also tried following the neutral path because lorewise that's what Witchers do. Until I came to the hostage situation, couldn't take the suppression of a minority any more. Thought the ending was brilliant, the discourse between Aldersburg and Geralt interesting, and I have to admit I jumped up in joy when the option presented itself to have a go at the King of the Wild hunt. At the end my Geralt felt like he was powered by principle, loved it.

And holy smokes, never considered Alvin and Aldersburg "might" be one and the same. I don't know why I never made that mental connection. I went through the sequel thinking "I wonder if Alvin turns up". This puts an entirely new perspective on my first playthrough. Blimey, as the british would say.

EDIT: Oh poor Siegfried, having to kill him near the end. That one really had me feeling like trash for a bit, seemed like a nice guy. Is there a way to let him live if you side with the Order?
    Last edited by Firkragg; 16-08-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    This was what elevated the game for me from awesome to transcendent. It's not merely OMG TWIST ENDING, but rather it's an ending that unexpectedly causes one to reframe their entire game experience to date in light of this new knowledge. In a game that thrives on that feeling of gnawing doubt as to the road not taken, it's the pièce de résistance. The final cherry on top is that the game doesn't hammer you over the head with it - you can miss it entirely if you're not paying attention, which is emblematic of the game's unusual faith in and respect for the player.
    Wholeheartedly agree. Without sounding like too much of a fanboy this just seems indicative of CDProjekt's approach in general. It was great to get a REAL ending with some real consequence. The lack of a good/bad meter was such a welcome reprieve. There's no gentle pat on the head of reassurance after every decision. Oh look I'm a goodie and the ending was happy, what a surprise! I was genuinely conflicted at certain points in the game. The 'But that sword is for monsters...' line is fantastic and so chilling retrospectively when you realise that this character still seemed like a child inside. I'm really looking forward to W2 now and am hoping for more of the same narrative-wise.

Who did you side with? Also, I attacked the King of the Wild Hunt. Does letting him take the Grand Master have any major consequence. I imagine I would feel infinitely more guilty after finding out he was Alvin!

As an aside, did anyone else feel ridiculously overpowered towards the end? To be honest I didn't do too much potion stacking in general (just some necrophage oil, swallow etc.) but after putting a rune on that bad ass Steel sword with the long name and burning through the potions I had I absolutely destroyed Act V and the epilogue.
    Last edited by Skeletor68; 16-08-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    Does letting him take the Grand Master have any major consequence.
    Searching on this a little bit, it doesn't really seem to have much effect outside some minor dialogue and obviously not having to fight the King. The King seems more like a bonus boss than any major plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Firkragg View Post
    EDIT: Oh poor Siegfried, having to kill him near the end. That one really had me feeling like trash for a bit, seemed like a nice guy. Is there a way to let him live if you side with the Order?
    Yeah, if you side with Order Siegfried lives but Yaevinn dies.
    Last edited by Flint; 16-08-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Searching on this a little bit, it doesn't really seem to have much effect outside some minor dialogue and obviously not having to fight the King. The King seems more like a bonus boss than any major plot point.
    He was giving me lip and tried to guilt-trip me so I smooshed him. I was glad I did once it turned out he was probably Alvin. Grand Master needed to die but I didn't want him eternally tormented.

Also, I liked Siegfried too but he gave me no choice when the order started going mental and he didn't have the stones to stand up to them. I disliked Yaevinn so it was weird to end up with Siegfried dead and him spared.

'I like you Siegfried, you're a funny guy, that's why I will kill you last'.
    Last edited by Skeletor68; 16-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Now that someone mentioned the "This sword is for monsters..." line I have to say that there were quite a few of those great sentences and dialogues in TW1. At one point someone mentions that he / she knows a little bit about Witchers, that one sword is for humans, the other for monsters. To which Geralt replies: "They are both for monsters." That was awesome. :)

In my playthrough, I tried to stay neutral (except with the ladies, hurr hurr) but ended up having to fight Siegfried - a character that I really liked - and sparing the elven fella. Not because I liked him, but because I just couldn't be bothered to slaughter another fool that clearly would have stood no chance against Geralt.

In the end I fought the King of the Wild Hunt. He was a bully anyways. Comparing the depiction of the Wild Hunt in TW1 with that in TW2, I have to say that I found it much more mystical and interesting in the first game. Don't want to spoil anything for people that haven't played TW2 though, so I'll leave it at that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is one of my favorite games ever. As much as I love TW 2, the first game just has a certain amount of charm to it. The ending was freaking brilliant. I've beaten the game twice now. I sided with The Order the first time through. I was attempting to follow the neutral path on my 2nd time through (I had just read the 2 translated books and figured that's what the real Geralt would do) but I messed up at the bank. I thought killing the monsters blocking the elves' escape route in the sewers would be the neutral option, but afterwards I was sided with the squirrels and decided to just roll with it.

You really have to play through it at least a 2nd time to appreciate everything the game does. I thought it was cool on my 2nd time through when after I refused Siegfried's help with the cockatrice in the sewers, he was busted down to guard duty in front of the hospital for failure to kill the monster. This changed how I would gain entrance to the hospital now vs in my first playthrough when a random soldier was guarding the entrance.

Also, READ THE BOOKS. They are amazing. The Last Wish is a collection of short stories, many of which are retold or at least referenced in the first game.

Wow, I feel like an idiot for not picking up on the Alvin/Grandmaster thing. I played through the game really quickly, but looking back at it... duh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I played it pretty much identically to Skeletor and thought the ending was great for the same reasons.

Also if you feel overpowered at the end of the first game just wait until you play the second one (if you haven't already).